A few weeks ago it was all Doom and Gloom... | The Boneyard

A few weeks ago it was all Doom and Gloom...

Reaction Score
So many people thought the sky was falling a few weeks ago... that Geno had lost it in terms of recruiting... that our roster was too thin... that time had passed us by... So, what do you think now? Makurat, Adebayo, Westbrook, Buekers, Muhl.... and who knows who else... The future does not look so dim now, does it? And yes, I can hear the cries that we still need bigs.... :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just keep your hands out

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
BUT WE NEED BIGS!!!! :rolleyes:

In fairness, it wasn't ALL doom and gloom - just a number of posters who were very vocal about how UCONN was losing players left and right (AEH, Gordon, Coombs), and that we had missed out on hundreds of post players (exaggeration of course).

There are still people talking about needing bigs. Gee - I wonder if Geno is aware of that?

Reaction Score
So many people thought the sky was falling a few weeks ago... that Geno had lost it in terms of recruiting... that our roster was too thin... that time had passed us by... So, what do you think now? Makurat, Adebayo, Westbrook, Buekers, Muhl.... and who knows who else... The future does not look so dim now, does it? And yes, I can hear the cries that we still need bigs.... :)

It was falling, Geno knew it, and now we still need a big. But the weather is better...

What he did to bolster the roster are things he's never done before. Whether it was panic or a sly Geno being a "New Geno", he changed his modus operandi completely.

Amazing to see. Wonder if this is the new normal.....?

Reaction Score
If you can get these kind of transfers into your program, and some very fine 4 year recruits, then you need to rethink recruiting as such within the USA and among the high school graduates. What you can get from Europe of even Asia, may even be more mature than what you getting from the pop culture of the USA.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno and CD went to work. They have a pretty good track record. :)

When players began to announce they were transferring, Geno and staff went back to work to see if there was anyone they might be interested in. They were on top of contacting players that entered the transfer portal that they had interest in from day one. They found Evelyn Adebayo.

You can’t show up late to the recruiting party and expect any hors d’oeuvres to be left. You’d better be leaning on the door and fall in when it opens. What we’re seeing now is the results of those efforts. More to come.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Are there any reallly great big young women in the transfer portal?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Several posters said weeks ago that immediately after the final game, Geno and staff put their recruiting efforts into high gear. They were on top of contacting players that entered the transfer portal that they had interest in from day one.

You can’t show up late to the recruiting party and expect any hors d’oeuvres to be left. You’d better be leaning on the door and fall in when it opens. What we’re seeing now is the results of those efforts. More to come.
The regular 2019 recruiting ended around Thanksgiving, after Boston announced and Jones made her delayed announcement. I think a lot of brainstorming occurred in December. In about late December/early January, CD got in touch with both Nika and Ania. We moved from off their radar to the top of their lists. Excellent recovery by the UConn staff!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Are there any really great big young women anywhere at all? Only a handful in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
It was falling, Geno knew it, and now we still need a big. But the weather is better...

What he did to bolster the roster are things he's never done before. Whether it was panic or a sly Geno being a "New Geno", he changed his modus operandi completely.

Which of the following has Geno never done before? Recruit a foreign player? Accept a transfer? Recruit the #1 player in the country?

Reaction Score

While Geno has filled many of the holes much better than I anticipated, curious if the Boneyard believes he is just trying to get through the next 1-2 years or if we have a reasonable chance at the Final 4.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

In case anyone missed the 6785 posts on this topic, we really, really,
really need some bigs.

image.jpeg

Alternatively, we could seek out an entire army of Lilliputians.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Yes, but how long will it take Geno and CO. to get all these new players to play cohesive basketball, the way Geno wants it to be played? How long does it take to learn Geno's system, especially when you have to unlearn another way of playing first? Just wondering. ( out loud)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While Geno has filled many of the holes much better than I anticipated, curious if the Boneyard believes he is just trying to get through the next 1-2 years or if we have a reasonable chance at the Final 4.

What do you mean by "get through the next 1 or 2 years." It sounds like you are assuming Geno is about to retire or has lost his touch and is settling for less.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, but how long will it take Geno and CO. to get all these new players to play cohesive basketball, the way Geno wants it to be played? How long does it take to learn Geno's system, especially when you have to unlearn another way of playing first? Just wondering. ( out loud)
I think generally the European players will come in more prepared for Geno style coaching than those arriving from AAU and mediocre HS coaching. Like Kia playing for her national team and against non-age restricted professional players, Anna (and Nika to a slightly lesser extent) has had the same kind of experience in a team oriented practice environment instead of the more 'star' driven US HS experience.

And while Evina and Evelyn have not had the same experience against professional players, they have had seasoning in college environments that are a giant step up from the HS experience.

Of course there will be a transition period, but I don't expect it to be the same - the competition they have experienced is light years ahead of competing against either other AAU teams or against the typical HS teams.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have UConn All Americans playing all over the world. Geno is a legend all over the world. Girls dream about playing for him and all they want is a chance. Thats it a chance. You think Anna and Nita are the only ones who dreamed about playing for Geno????? We have Stewie Diana Maya Sue Svet and alot of former UConn players overseas and guess what they know who is good and who can play for UConn and they tell Geno. The girls overseas are a different brand of player, with different thinking, and discipline. Do I think we could get a big from overseas...absolutely. I think we can get a really big Big. Who I dont know? From where I dont know but we do have the former players who might know. Geno isnt finished by a long shot. IMO he is going to after alot more recruits that he thinks can play for UConn and when he's finished well you can Dream cant you. We' going to the top .... The Very Top.... again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom