A few weeks ago it was all Doom and Gloom... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A few weeks ago it was all Doom and Gloom...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nerea Monreal 6'6" from Spain was pretty good in the U17 FIBA tourney. Bested by her stable mate Raquel Quintana 6'4"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
All based on Geno stepping out of his own box... so everyone who displayed “doom & gloom” had the right to, based on Coach’s usual attitude

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes, but how long will it take Geno and CO. to get all these new players to play cohesive basketball, the way Geno wants it to be played? How long does it take to learn Geno's system, especially when you have to unlearn another way of playing first? Just wondering. ( out loud)
I believe the experience Ania has had playing against European and American professionals will allow her to acclimate quickly. The college experience of Westbrook (2 years) and Adebayo (3 years) will allow them to integrate quickly. Griffin being a high school recruit will take more time unless she is another Moore or Williams.

Reaction Score
We have UConn All Americans playing all over the world. Geno is a legend all over the world. Girls dream about playing for him and all they want is a chance. Thats it a chance. You think Anna and Nita are the only ones who dreamed about playing for Geno????? We have Stewie Diana Maya Sue Svet and alot of former UConn players overseas and guess what they know who is good and who can play for UConn and they tell Geno. The girls overseas are a different brand of player, with different thinking, and discipline. Do I think we could get a big from overseas...absolutely. I think we can get a really big Big. Who I dont know? From where I dont know but we do have the former players who might know. Geno isnt finished by a long shot. IMO he is going to after alot more recruits that he thinks can play for UConn and when he's finished well you can Dream cant you. We' going to the top .... The Very Top.... again.

"Geno is a legend all over the world. Girls dream about playing for him and all they want is a chance."

Except that, increasingly, those girls don't dream of playing for UConn, but are dreaming of playing for Stanford, Oregon, Baylor, and South Carolina. Look at the recruiting tables. They don't lie.

Coach Geno is reading the results. He's figured out that he does not have an easy in to all of the best players. Why is up for debate. But he's had to scramble, and transfers and European players have now become essential to keeping us in the Big Time.

I think Coach Geno needs a new assistant coach or two to really help out on recruiting. Like the theme song's lyrics for the TV program "Scrubs", "I can't do it all on my own!".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nerea Monreal 6'6" from Spain was pretty good in the U17 FIBA tourney. Bested by her stable mate Raquel Quintana 6'4"
Nerea Monreal signed with Georgia Tech she would have to be released from her NLI.

Raquel Carrera is a player I've been saying UCONN needs to take a look at for a while now. Doesn't look like it going to happen though. Neither player played well against the US U17 team so I can see why people may be sleeping on both. BTW Boston pretty much beasted Rupert of france-think she was scoreless?? so people may be sleeping on her also.
Raquel Carrera - FIBA U17 World Cup 2018

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Geno is a legend all over the world. Girls dream about playing for him and all they want is a chance."
Except that, increasingly, those girls don't dream of playing for UConn, but are dreaming of playing for Stanford, Oregon, Baylor, and South Carolina. Look at the recruiting tables. They don't lie.
Coach Geno is reading the results. He's figured out that he does not have an easy in to all of the best players. Why is up for debate. But he's had to scramble, and transfers and European players have now become essential to keeping us in the Big Time.
I think Coach Geno needs a new assistant coach or two to really help out on recruiting. Like the theme song's lyrics for the TV program "Scrubs", "I can't do it all on my own!".
The recruiting tables certainly don't lie but they are subject to gross misinterpretations like yours or mine where I see UCONN keep ending up with the #1 recruit in most of the classes therefore I think UCONN must be doing well.

That part about Geno needing "a new assistant coach or two" to help out on recruiting was a gut buster.

Does anyone know of a good way to get coffee stains off my white shirt?

Reaction Score
The recruiting tables certainly don't lie but they are subject to gross misinterpretations like yours or mine where I see UCONN keep ending up with the #1 recruit in most of the classes therefore I think UCONN must be doing well.

That part about Geno needing "a new assistant coach or two" to help out on recruiting was a gut buster.

Excuse me? Care to maintain a modicum of civility?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

The notion that we need "new" assistant coaches is pretty hilarious. News flash: there are about 360 other NCAA D-I schools out there. Some of them will get recruits we're after. Some of our recruits happen to live in distant parts of the country. Some may choose to find places to land closer to home, or maybe spending winters in NE CT isn't for everybody.

A couple of off recruiting years plus a number of transfers out of the program is no reason to gut the assistant coaching staff. They're doing better than fine.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think that statement is both harsh and inaccurate.
Harsh? Inaccurate? Perhaps if DaddyChoc had said Geno backed himself into a corner and realized he had no choice but to become flexible. Then harsh may have been appropriate. But DaddyChoc didn't say that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom