A few thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A few thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Put the "best team on the field" where the equation is 60% enthusiasm/passion/hustle and 40% is talent/skill/where they were on the depth chart.

If you want to go all in for team pride and personal pride - and play like it - you have my vote. If not, I don't care who you are, what class you're in or where you were on the depth chart - you should not be out there.

And do this game-to-game and even half-to-half. If someone's getting PT and they dog it, give them a warning (or not) and then point to the bench.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
TJ needs to start Cochran against Louisville, see how that goes, put Boyle in at times along with Whitmer on 3rd and long. I would even Boyle or Whitmer behind center and Cochran at a flanker position or slot receiver. He's big enough and fast enough to play something like that, that would also cause defenses to always have to be aware of reverses and keep them honest. Problem with that is I wonder if TJ is an experienced enough coach to juggle 3 QB's like that, and/or try trick plays. If FHCRE were still here he would have recognized Cochran's talent as an athlete long ago.

Putting in a QB for 3rd and long? Being an experienced enough head coach to juggle 3 QB's at the same time???

What are you smoking again? I will refer you to the old adage (not sure if it was Parcells or Madden); "If you have two QB's, you have none"...

Reaction Score
Putting in a QB for 3rd and long? Being an experienced enough head coach to juggle 3 QB's at the same time???

What are you smoking again? I will refer you to the old adage (not sure if it was Parcells or Madden); "If you have two QB's, you have none"...
Why the duckk not???? Try it, Cochran is 6'1", 226 and very fast, reminds me of Abbrederis at Wisconsin, former QB that they turned into a slot flanker and he's now one of Wisconsin's best weapons. We need to try new things. What the duckk is your problem?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Why the duckk not???? Try it, Cochran is 6'1", 226 and very fast, reminds me of Abbrederis at Wisconsin, former QB that they turned into a slot flanker and he's now one Wisconsin's best weapons. We need to try new things. What the duckk is your problem?

I don't have a problem. I was just commenting on the fact that your post criticized a coach for not being "experienced" enough to use three QB's in the same game. The fact that you don't view that as a bad thing says more about your coaching than it does about anyone else's. But again, I don't have a problem. Relax a little and enjoy the Boneyard...

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem. I was just commenting on the fact that your post criticized a coach for not being "experienced" enough to use three QB's in the same game. The fact that you don't view that as a bad thing says more about your coaching than it does about anyone else's. But again, I don't have a problem. Relax a little and enjoy the Boneyard...
Remember one thing, this is college football, not the NFL. If you have 3 talented backs and all three are "QUARTER" backs, they still are backs and line up in the backfield. I like all three of our QB's for different reasons and I say use them. Show these defenses some Beamer ball.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Remember one thing, this college football, not the NFL. If you have 3 talented backs and all three are "QUARTER" backs, they still are backs and line up in the backfield. I like all three of our QB's for different reasons and I say use them.

Here's the thing; we actually tried this the last two years, and it wasn't successful. Every time Whitmer threw for a first down, without fail, McCummings was coming in on first down to run the wildcat. NOTHING ruins a QB's timing and momentum like being subbed once every ten yards. That's the issue...

Reaction Score
Why the duckk not???? Try it, Cochran is 6'1", 226 and very fast, reminds me of Abbrederis at Wisconsin, former QB that they turned into a slot flanker and he's now one of Wisconsin's best weapons. We need to try new things. What the duckk is your problem?

Your "put Cochran in as a flanker" comment should be in the running for dumbest post of the month. I think you have a good shot of winning, you have my vote.

Reaction Score
UConn fans are funny. They seem to still be learning this football business. Don't understand that you can't really run a 3 quarterback offense like you play a 3-guard offense in basketball.
Thanks, you sound like someone who supported Pasqualoni all last season against the calls for canning him then.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Thanks, you sound like someone who supported Pasqualoni all last season against the calls for canning him then.

That's an odd comment, seeing as Pasqualoni ran a two quarterback offense for the last two years...

Reaction Score
Substitute teachers often lose control of classrooms that usually have bad teachers.

Problem is TJ seems also in the 'nice guy' mold like P. Not what this team needs based on uptick in undisciplined play, with unmotivated a close second.

Still think the playcalling is much better though. . . .heard people bitching about 'not running more after McCombs broke that big run. Think there was some luck there, but a couple of more runs to keep them honest would have been nice. However when youre down 28-10 in the second quarter not a lot of options. Liked the quick hitting passes when CC was in

Reaction Score
That's an odd comment, seeing as Pasqualoni ran a two quarterback offense for the last two years...
Pasqualoni was blind to using 3 not 2. Mccummings could have been used at times but what he really needed to do was put in MN on option plays, or use McEntee on longer pass plays. He was clueless. McCummings was one dimensional and defenses knew what was coming, that's not the way to play different QB's. Pasqualoni was clueless at seeing what kind of talent he had and how to use them, that or he was just a stubborn old man.

Reaction Score
You should consider changing your avatar. This team looks more disorganized and lacks more energy under TJW. I didn't think that was possible coming off the disaster that was P.

Do you think all the changes has anything to do with the disorganization?

Reaction Score
^^^ I'm starting to feel like I'm not helping you understand... :confused:
Funny, I feel the same way about you. I give up, have a great day. Did you actually play football in college?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would simplify the defense, because that would reduce the number of assignments to remember. The team looks confused. If they haven't learned the more exotic formations yet, they aren't going to. I think the zone defense is a mess, and I would scrap it completely. Let the players play. We aren't going to out coach anyone this year, so we shouldn't try.

Reaction Score
Maybe. It's been a month. Fix it already.

Four years of changes should be fixed in 4 months? All the OC/DC/HC changes in the past 4 years, along with the inept coaching of PGDL, will take a lot longer than a month to fix.

While PP may have sucked as a HC he had 2 years + to get the team in a rhythm. Players may not have liked him or GDL but they towed the line.

Take him out of the picture, and that alone, will create chaos on the team. It's a beat up boat with a new rudder and the rudder is all over the place.

Reaction Score
Watching the team on Saturday, you could tell they are in a tough spot in terms of confidence and energy (which is understandable). At this point, Weist needs to convey that success is defined and measured one play at a time. If they start finding success at winning downs, they'll build some confidence and put themselves in a better position to win.

Reaction Score
Four years of changes should be fixed in 4 months? All the OC/DC/HC changes in the past 4 years, along with the inept coaching of PGDL, will take a lot longer than a month to fix.

While PP may have sucked as a HC he had 2 years + to get the team in a rhythm. Players may not have liked him or GDL but they towed the line.

Take him out of the picture, and that alone, will create chaos on the team. It's a beat up boat with a new rudder and the rudder is all over the place.

IMO the coaching has not gotten any worse in the last three weeks, QB play has. I don't blame Boyle, most true freshman play like this which is why most true freshmen sit. P is on record saying he was going to start Boyle too so keeping P would still mean no wins.

Weist needs to sit Boyle for now so his head can stop spinning, it's part of the learning process. Look at all of the starts and stops we had with Frazer, Endres, and Box, and that was the Fiesta Bowl year.

Boyle will learn more by watching Whitmer or Cochran now that he has played. I think Frazer learned by watching Endres.

Reaction Score

Well then why make the change after 4 games?

Reaction Score
You are the first to use "very fast" to describe CC. Lack of speed/mobility are the reason that 1A offers dwindled to UCONN and BC (per Scout). If he had speed, given how well he throws, he probably would be playing elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom