A Bold Statement | The Boneyard

A Bold Statement

Reaction Score
Ok fellow BYers, here we go. When we get the last injured person back, and we know how great she is. We are going to have , possibly for a month...the BEST UCONN women's team , one through nine in our entire history.
With the emergence of Azzi to the starting lineup, making the 2022 starters historically competitive with other teams.
Our bench, which has been playing lots of minutes this year, has made us a #10 ranked team.
I don't think any UCONN team in the past has brought subs in, the caliber we will have going forward.
Each player would be starters on 90% of the teams that are out there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok fellow BYers, here we go. When we get the last injured person back, and we know how great she is. We are going to have , possibly for a month...the BEST UCONN women's team , one through nine in our entire history.
With the emergence of Azzi to the starting lineup, making the 2022 starters historically competitive with other teams.
Our bench, which has been playing lots of minutes this year, has made us a #10 ranked team.
I don't think any UCONN team in the past has brought subs in, the caliber we will have going forward.
Um….

2000-2001

Top 9
Svet Abrosimova - Caroline
Ashley Battle - Aubrey
Sue Bird - Paige
Swin Cash - Evina
Asjha Jones - Dorka
Shea Ralph - Nika
Kelly Schumacher - Liv
Diana Taurasi - Azzi
Tamika Williams - Aaliyah

Others on the roster
Maria Conlon
Marci Czel
Kennitra Johnson
Christine Rigby
Morgan Valley

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm gonna roll with this squad from 2012-'13.

1) Heather Buck2) Stefanie Dolson3) Brianna Banks11) Moriah Jefferson
4) Caroline Doty5) Bria Hartley6) Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis7) Breanna Stewart
8) Kelly Faris9) Kiah Stokes10) Morgan Tuck

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm gonna roll with this squad from 2012-'13.

1) Heather Buck2) Stefanie Dolson3) Brianna Banks11) Moriah Jefferson
4) Caroline Doty5) Bria Hartley6) Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis7) Breanna Stewart
8) Kelly Faris9) Kiah Stokes10) Morgan Tuck
The Maya-Tina-Tiffany-Kelly Faris team wasn’t chopped liver either.

Reaction Score
take a breath, wait and see what happens

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I'm gonna go with the 83-84 squad. That's right - 83-84! Pre Geno...

Reaction Score
As my pops would say, "Simmer down, Tator Tot". But "BEST" UConn women's team, one through nine? I am not sure on that one.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Um….

2000-2001

Top 9
Svet Abrosimova - Caroline
Ashley Battle - Aubrey
Sue Bird - Paige
Swin Cash - Evina
Asjha Jones - Dorka
Shea Ralph - Nika
Kelly Schumacher - Liv
Diana Taurasi - Azzi
Tamika Williams - Aaliyah

Others on the roster
Maria Conlon
Marci Czel
Kennitra Johnson
Christine Rigby
Morgan Valley
Christyn at #10 this year?

Reaction Score
The 2000-2001 team would have beat this team by 25. And thats using the bench. This year's front line would have been decimated. Williams, Cash, and Jones would have rag dolled them with their quickness and aggression.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tough to argue the depth when Paige gets back but before we go ordering the gowns for the coronation, I think we need to see some semblance of consistency, especially against some better talent. Even last night we got stuck in the starter's block. We've seen glimpses of excellence which could take us far into the tourney, but we've also seen some huge hiccups where we go into a funk and can't seem to score, not for lack of trying. Once Paige gets back (hopeful something close to 100%) we'll go thru yet another adjustment which will take a game or three, so everyone knows their place.

Reaction Score
There were certainly any number of UConn teams better than our current squad and would have easily handled them. There were many years where the offense was click, click, click with jumpers, backdoors, post-ups ad nauseam. There is a good chance that next year and a few years after that comparable dominance will be on display.

It is worth mentioning that the quality of opponents has gotten better and better as the years have gone on. The talent pool the 2000-01 squad played against was much thinner than now. The great squads of the past would still have been great now but they would have had to face many more good teams.

Reaction Score
1645289178238.gif
…not being snarky, but I have to fulfill my quota of using at least 5 Schitts Creek gifs per day:D

Last edited:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Probably should have capitalized, bracketed & bolded the "Possibly".

I see a team that has the potential to be In the discussion. Let me say it again. A team that has the Potential To Be In The Discussion.

A discussion that will make sense in 2024-25.
Just Say-N

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were certainly any number of UConn teams better than our current squad and would have easily handled them. There were many years where the offense was click, click, click with jumpers, backdoors, post-ups ad nauseam. There is a good chance that next year and a few years after that comparable dominance will be on display.

It is worth mentioning that the quality of opponents has gotten better and better as the years have gone on. The talent pool the 2000-01 squad played against was much thinner than now. The great squads of the past would still have been great now but they would have had to face many more good teams.
The Big East was much stronger on 2000-2001 with eventual national champion ND, Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, and Villanova. The out of conference schedule was better too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom