6-2 baybee! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

6-2 baybee!

Reaction Score
Never seen so much whining for a team who is 6-2 and lost ZERO games in which they were favored to win.

The team isn't great, you knew that in October, enjoy the win you miserable dingleberrys

I am always for winning and I feel like there is a lot of people almost rooting against KO at this point. Granted I am worried about his true ability to keep this program at a prominence, a win is a win. With that said these OT games are a horrible way to put away teams and simply not sustainable. I hope he just keeps these guys motivated because 6-2 start on paper is good there is a long way to go and plenty of games that forced OT might not finish so favorable.

Reaction Score
He didn't recruit any big men when he should have? Pretty easy to blame ollie
The point is we all knew the bigs weren’t going to be any good, why is there so much frustration about it now?

We all knew we had no bigs once Enoch & Durham transferred & Brimah & Facey graduated.

Ollie’s coaching this season has been fine, not sure why we are creating such a negative narrative??

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree with August West
Far too many here seem satisfied if UConn loses so they can continue their mantra
Some folks just can't adjust to the fact that JC is no longer here, the BE is no longer here and college basketball has changed drastically since the P5 crap.
I am not happy with the play of the team the past few seasons but am not unrealistic enough to see that there are certain events that have played into misfortune - however - that doesn't cause lackadaisical play and being soft.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never seen so much whining for a team who is 6-2 and lost ZERO games in which they were favored to win.

The team isn't great, you knew that in October, enjoy the win you miserable dingleberrys

A win is a win but Monmouth gave that game away on the line 15-26 and that doesn’t even factor in their brutal 1&1s.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Our shooting issues are mechanical. Our defensive issues are about effort. Both can be addressed and corrected. The team has to understand that winning the "hard way" will be harder to do in conference play. I have hope, though. We have some good pieces.

Reaction Score
I think there's reason to be optimistic about this season, and you can look at these games as positives. Under KO this team has been a notoriously slow starting team (both in season and in games). Around February-March the team gets in a groove and starts playing well. There's a multitude of reasons for this, and I think most fall back on KO. Waiting til halftime to make adjustments that everyone anticipated coming in. The constant roster turnover that leads to no chemistry coming in every fall.

So why should we be positive? We're playing the same as we have early in the season just as past seasons, but thus far we've been able to pull out the win while looking bad in most games. Playing in the American is tough, and the non-conference becomes even more important with a weaker conference. We've made a habit out of digging ourselves into a hole, and needing a miraculous tourney run to have any chance to make the big dance. Thus far we've held serve, and pull out 1-2 wins over the next few weeks and we're looking decent heading into a period of the season where we've seen improvement over KO's tenure.

Now the point of the constant roster turnover and slow starts every November under KO is the main reason I think we need to part ways after this season (regardless of results). In our current conference situation we can't afford to go through this every season, because relying on luck in close games to always go our way against mid-majors is not a good strategy.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There are obviously things that we need to fix. But let me tell you that they showed a lot of heart and grit tonight. There were a few times that they could have crumbled, including being down by 4 late in overtime. They showed energy, as did KO on the sidelines.

The 6,600 were rocking late in this game and throughout overtime. We showed a lot of heart in the stands, too. The team really fed off of it.

I'll finish this post with one more comment; to the detractors who want to marginalize this victory or use it as evidence of something negative, if you weren't there tonight, don't whine. The 6,600 folks in that building didn't care that the jersey said "Monmouth". Could have been Kentucky. There was a great atmosphere, and it really helped the kids pull through...

Reaction Score
The point is we all knew the bigs weren’t going to be any good, why is there so much frustration about it now?

We all knew we had no bigs once Enoch & Durham transferred & Brimah & Facey graduated.

Ollie’s coaching this season has been fine, not sure why we are creating such a negative narrative??

Did it take KO by surprise when Brimah and Facey graduated? Name the last decent big man KO recruited that doesn't have multiple felonies to his name. There's frustration with the play of the bigs now because KO's lack of recruiting success in the frontcourt is an issue almost every game.

As a caveat - I'd like nothing better for this team to go undefeated the rest of the way and for KO to coach here in perpetuity as long as he's winning. I admire the optimism in those I disagree with. However, I see the same issues that he's had with his teams over and over since the best college bball player I've seen since Kemba. They're constantly unprepared. Our best half of bball this season was in a loss to the only ranked team we've played. We've gone to OT with mid majors twice - at home - and we got our doors blown off by an at best above average Arkansas team. I love a lot of these players - kids like CV especially - but for some on this board to act like there are no worrying trends that keep reappearing year after year during KO's tenure is delusional at best.

P.S. the argument "but X team struggled with the bad Y team!" is pathetic whataboutism. Every team has off nights and struggles with cupcakes. Calhoun is the best college bball coach of all time and it happened to his teams. But this isn't a one off occurrence - this team has laid stinkers multiple times already this year against what are inferior opponents talent wise. Big difference

Reaction Score
Now the point of the constant roster turnover and slow starts every November under KO is the main reason I think we need to part ways after this season (regardless of results). In our current conference situation we can't afford to go through this every season, because relying on luck in close games to always go our way against mid-majors is not a good strategy.

If you go look at our 'luck' results on kenpom, 2014 was really high (23) and the seasons since were really bad (all 250+). The luck rating, to me, is really a toughness rating. Good teams don't let things slip away and they beat teams they are better than. It's a metric we desperately need to fix and so far this year it's getting better. Currently ranked #3.

Reaction Score
If you go look at our 'luck' results on kenpom, 2014 was really high (23) and the seasons since were really bad (all 250+). The luck rating, to me, is really a toughness rating. Good teams don't let things slip away and they beat teams they are better than. It's a metric we desperately need to fix and so far this year it's getting better. Currently ranked #3.
You just saved me a couple of minutes of my time because that's what I was about to go look at. I knew how I felt about our luck over the years but had no idea if the numbers backed me up at all

Reaction Score
One can hope this team improves because last I looked the AAC is made up of better teams than Columbia and Monmouth.[/QUOTE

To your point, UHouston up on Arkansas by 16 with 1 minute to go in the 1st half. Yes, “that” Arkansas

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
How was the game? Crowd seemed into it.

I had a blast. Had a blast at Columbia game too. Both small crowds, but both rocking and rooting these good kids on to victory.

I really feel sorry for many on this board. You should be able to separate what you think our perceived strengths are and where we fall short , with actually attending games and supporting your team and watching college basketball. OT games are stressful but fun when you're on the winning side. Watching theses kids dig deep and pull out of last minute deficits is a ton of fun to watch. I don't care what name is on the other Jersey. It's exciting basketball.

It's fine to talk x's and o,s and coaching and question and criticize. But you can do that and still support the team and help these kids win.

And the ultimate irony is these same people bemoaning us not blowing out mid majors are many of the ones who crucify the women's sport and call it boring because it's not competitive . Too many blowouts.

Sad people.

Reaction Score

My perspective on KO is that he has done some things this year that I really like which are laying the foundation to bring the program back to prominence.

Frustratingly, he is appearing to be doing some things that are undermining that very effort. This is what has bothered me and many others.

With KOs cleaning house of players and coaches, and bringing in new players who have energy, desire, and are team oriented and multi skilled, he has made major in-roads on changing the team culture from last years soft, weak, and individualistic team.

On the downside, he hasn’t required excellence from his players. When the SAME mistakes, like giving up wide open shots or having his players on offense play “hero” ball every possession, happen EVERY game...it’s a problem.

KO comes in for justifiable criticism because he’s recognized these problems from the 1st game. He talks about these SAME problems after every game. Recognizing the problem is the hardest part of fixing a problem. At least for most people. KO recognizes the problems but the problems never ever get fixed. Not even a little. That means that KO, as the coach, does not know how to impart his will on the team to get the players to learn, embrace and enact what he wants done on the court.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I had a blast. Had a blast at Columbia game too. Both small crowds, but both rocking and rooting these good kids on to victory.

I really feel sorry for many on this board. You should be able to separate what you think our perceived strengths are and where we fall short , with actually attending games and supporting your team and watching college basketball. OT games are stressful but fun when you're on the winning side. Watching theses kids dig deep and pull out of last minute deficits is a ton of fun to watch. I don't care what name is on the other Jersey. It's exciting basketball.

It's fine to talk x's and o,s and coaching and question and criticize. But you can do that and still support the team and help these kids win.

And the ultimate irony is these same people bemoaning us not blowing out mid majors are many of the ones who crucify the women's sport and call it boring because it's not competitive . Too many blowouts.

Sad people.

Underrated post of the night was you commenting about JC going ham on a bag of popcorn. Then photographic evidence with JC looking like popeye. Made me laugh.

Reaction Score
Underrated post of the night was you commenting about JC going ham on a bag of popcorn. Then photographic evidence with JC looking like popeye. Made me laugh.
he has to get so stressed out. I get stressed listening to my old high school football team on the radio or on twitter feeds....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are obviously things that we need to fix. But let me tell you that they showed a lot of heart and grit tonight. There were a few times that they could have crumbled, including being down by 4 late in overtime. They showed energy, as did KO on the sidelines.

The 6,600 were rocking late in this game and throughout overtime. We showed a lot of heart in the stands, too. The team really fed off of it.

I'll finish this post with one more comment; to the detractors who want to marginalize this victory or use it as evidence of something negative, if you weren't there tonight, don't whine. The 6,600 folks in that building didn't care that the jersey said "Monmouth". Could have been Kentucky. There was a great atmosphere, and it really helped the kids pull through...

They announced 6,600?

Crowd was bigger than it was for Stony Brook and that’s almost the exact same number.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

You have no idea. A whole section of people were watching this during first half. He was literally chewing popcorn from opening tip until half time buzzer. It was hilarious. The guy is the best.

It should be a new meme:

" You may be cool but you will never be JC destroying a trough of popcorn while taking in a hoops game on the baseline cool"

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

Agree here 100%

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
6-2 is better than a record worse than 6-2. But they have looked like cat vomit. Not sure anyone sane could argue otherwise.

Here is what I don’t know. Do these players just stink? Are they mediocre mid major players? Does Ollie stink? Could some other coach get more out of them? I really don’t know the answer. Jalen and Gilbert and Larrier were highly recruited guys. Even Diarra.

What I don’t see is any cohesive teamwork or strategy. No leadership on the court. Nobody taking charge...and not the JA way, by being on one man show, but by involving teammates and making them better. So I’m forced to conclude that both the coach and the key players are at fault for that. It means they can fix it. There is enough talent. It also means it could get much worse if they don’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom