538: Current UConn team may be best ever but parity is coming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

538: Current UConn team may be best ever but parity is coming

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If we get Magbegor, that prediction might change just a tad, no?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
maybe. but I don't think Twain was ever in the U.K. while Disraeli was alive (at least not that I could find quickly), so it wouldn't have been directly from him. So, Twain would have been repeating hearsay that Disraeli said it, and we know how accurate that is: great quotations are often attached to great individuals, whether they said them or not.

Did you know this before you "quoted" Mark Twain? ;):rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
paine-womens-selection-1.png

Any Questions? Well 538 has a few actually.

"The prospect of UConn bouncing back with a vengeance — from a “down” season in which it went 36-1 and came within an incredible overtime buzzer-beater of going to a fifth straight national championship game — might seem a little anticlimactic. But even though UConn looks as good as ever, there are signs that the rest of the country is catching up, slowly but surely."

Good stuff here: This May Be The Best UConn Team Ever

Reaction Score
doesn't appear to be the best UConn team ever to me as of now but they still have time to change my mind....................sure hope they do!!!!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Geno's take exactly, scubadog. Coach says this team is an improvement over last year's for the very reasons you cite, plus that this group is more experienced.
As for the parity business, I don't object to more and better competition. I am not, however, one of the converts to "the better team won last year." The better team LOST last year; it was a fluke, MissSt was more than a 20-point underdog; UConn was poised to win but, as Geno has said repeatedly, played poorly. As for SC winning the NC, they did because the Huskies were not in the NC game. The Gamecocks have never even come close to beating UConn on their best day.

On schedule.

One day.. a UConn WBB fan will die and on their tombstone it’s going to say, in all caps: “IN 2017, SOUTH CAROLINA ONLY WON THE TITLE BECAUSE UCONN LOST IN THE SEMIFINALS!!!!!!!”..

The years of anguish and heartbreak over SC winning that title was too much to bear and had finally caught up with him or her.

Reaction Score
No great UConn team ever trailed by double digits in the 2nd half or was behind for more than 1/2 the game the way this year's squad did against ND.

Reaction Score
2015-16 Gabby, Nurse, KLS, Collier + Stewie, Tuck and Mo

2017-18 Gabby, Nurse, KLS, Collier + Azura and Crystal

I'll take 2015-16 any day. I don't think that team had a single game that was close. They won every game easily by double digits. The 2017-18 team is undefeated, but has struggled at times.

Reaction Score
This is the most versatile UConn team ever. More players can cover more positions than any other team. That's why the defense is so difficult to score against. Also, you have two defensive players of the year.
Would take Mo Jeff and Stewie over any other defensive players ever.

Reaction Score
538 can take this year's team and I'll take Stewie, Mo, and Morgan and 3 other UCONN players they had played with like Big Mama Steph and the Big Eraser Kiah and oh yeah KML. Don't see this year's team beating Stewie et al.

Stewies jr and sr year team would beat this years version 8 out of ten times?!

Not to disrespect this years team, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think stewies SR year team would ever lose to anyone.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No great UConn team ever trailed by double digits in the 2nd half or was behind for more than 1/2 the game the way this year's squad did against ND.

Is it worse to be down 10 to top-5 Notre Dame or even after a half with non-ranked Dayton as the 2015 team was?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
“Current UConn team is best ever... but parody is coming”

FIFY.

Not sure what this parity in WCBB thing is. Lol..

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
On schedule.

One day.. a UConn WBB fan will die and on their tombstone it’s going to say, in all caps: “IN 2017, SOUTH CAROLINA ONLY WON THE TITLE BECAUSE UCONN LOST IN THE SEMIFINALS!!!!!!!”..

The years of anguish and heartbreak over SC winning that title was too much to bear and had finally caught up with him or her.

I'm a Huskies fan, but have always found the argument "SC won because UCONN lost in the semifinal" to be one of the most ridiculous statements to devalue a team that won. No sporting outcome is preordained until a game is played; otherwise there would never be an upset and no need to actually play any game at all. The "luck of the draw" is present in every tournament in every sport with a knock out format.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Stewies jr and sr year team would beat this years version 8 out of ten times?!

Not to disrespect this years team, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think stewies SR year team would ever lose to anyone.

Not even the 2001-02 team? Bird, Jones Cash, Williams and somebody named Taurasi? And a pretty good bench.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not even the 2001-02 team? Bird, Jones Cash, Williams and somebody named Taurasi? And a pretty good bench.
How about the 1995 team, they had three consecutive NPOY players, plus a freshman Nykesha Sales. And they were the first to break thru the Tenn. stranglehold. They set the stage for everything that followed, and should be held in high regard in UConn history lore.

Reaction Score
How about the 1995 team, they had three consecutive NPOY players, plus a freshman Nykesha Sales. And they were the first to break thru the Tenn. stranglehold. They set the stage for everything that followed, and should be held in high regard in UConn history lore.

That 1995 team would get obliterated.

The quality of athlete and what a stewart could do and how the modern girl shoots the three would would overmatch the 1995 athlete.

Reaction Score
There is a sweet pic of Swin, Sue, DT, AJ and one I don't recognize on Swins Instagram . Can someone name the 5th? They are saying that's possibly the best squad ever.
I don't no how to post the pic.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
There is a sweet pic of Swin, Sue, DT, AJ and one I don't recognize on Swins Instagram . Can someone name the 5th? They are saying that's possibly the best squad ever.
I don't no how to post the pic.

I don't do instagram but the 5th person could be Tamika Williams, a starter on that team.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It would be there best competition.
It would be a great game.

I'd still take Stewart and co.

I would pay to watch that game even now at their current ages. And I wouldn't bet the ranch on it but I would place a bet on 2002.

Reaction Score
I would pay to watch that game even now at their current ages. And I wouldn't bet the ranch on it but I would place a bet on 2002.

I would love that game too. I was on campus for the late 90's early 2000's and you don't Have to convince me how good the birds, cashes, Dt's are.
Great potential game.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I would love that game too. I was on campus for the late 90's early 2000's and you don't Have to convince me how good the birds, cashes, Dt's are.
Great potential game.

Hey, you think Geno might arrange an alumni game? It's a pipe dream but that would be out of this world!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On schedule.

Well I've never said that. Of course, I believe it, but I've never said it.

In the end USC was the last team standing. Anything else is moot.

Reaction Score
This May Be The Best UConn Team Ever

With graphs and charts and stuff.

Reminder - don’t drag politics into this thread. Ignore this at your own risk.

Graphs and stuff may tell a tale, but if Gabby could shoot a reliable 15 footer, this year's six would destroy all competition, improved or not, and be the best team ever. With six, inside-out shooters, we would be impossible to guard, an offensive-defensive juggernaut.

Reaction Score
Hey, you think Geno might arrange an alumni game? It's a pipe dream but that would be out of this world!

You have to remember one thing once you retire and stop playing and hit your 40's it's probably not going to be such a pretty product. I just turned 40 and I cannot do what I did in the field house playing all day. IDK. I'd still watch the game though!!!

Reaction Score
This team has been able, especially by heroic effort from Gabby, to compensate for their lack of a true center and power forward. They have greatly increased, and expanded, their personal skills and team play. They exceeded realistic expectations last year and are doing great this year.

They are not the most talented or complete team in all positions; but, they certainly have gotten the most out of what they have,

What is a greater accomplishment than that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom