#5 Iowa vs #4 Kentucky - 3/23/21 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

#5 Iowa vs #4 Kentucky - 3/23/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not denigrating Caitlin's game at all. She is a terrific ballplayer. Just opining that UConn has more scoring options and Paige doesn't need to score as much in order for us to win. Paige wants to win, period. She won't be sucked into a one on one contest with Caitlin. This is a good thing .
My point is that Clark wants to win too. Yes UConn has more balanced scoring.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Clark is the real deal. Howard lacks effort and a motor. She scored 8 points in the last 2 minutes against Iowa's subs and I'm sure people will say "AA Howard did all she could to help her team but came up short". She's filled with talent, but her effort is just poor.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, I am curious now that the Kentucky season is over if what we outside observers actually is occurring within the program and we see a few transfer out of this program. Elzy should be thankful for NMP otherwise she might be the most underperforming coach in her first year. To be fair though, Nikki never coached any of her players before and had to implement a whole new system within the COVID environment, what's Elzy's excuse as the top assistant for Mitchell for the past 9 years?

With the Genie bottle top off the bottle, I fear a mass exodus.

Reaction Score
Where are all the posters who have been sneering at Clark as someone who is simply putting up big numbers on a bad team? Their collars are getting a little tight. This girl is for real! I just hope Geno and company can figure out a way to slow her down (assuming we win today). This is a very tough region we’re in.
Did ky look like a good team to you? Caitlin is terrific and a prolific scorer, but Ark, Ky and TENN have at least shown us that the mid level B1G tougher than the mid SEC. I did not see that coming. looking forward to Iowa v UConn. Can’t wait for 9 PM. Tonite.

Reaction Score
How many SEC teams made in to the tournament? I think seven already lost and we aren't even through the second round yet.

Reaction Score
Where are all the posters who have been sneering at Clark as someone who is simply putting up big numbers on a bad team? Their collars are getting a little tight. This girl is for real! I just hope Geno and company can figure out a way to slow her down (assuming we win today). This is a very tough region we’re in.
I guard her normal, assume she’s going get her points, 25-30 against us and shut down the other players and UConn will win. Let Iowa’s best 2 players score their average and Shut down the rest and UConn will win. Provided we get by tonight’s game.

Reaction Score
Didn’t get to see the game but the KY coach seemed to not have a real good defensive scout on Clark.

Reaction Score
My point is that Clark wants to win too. Yes UConn has more balanced scoring.
Martin, Marshall and Cinzano (sp) are all good players. It ain't just Clark. But she is the motor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So glad we didn't have Iowa in our region.
I’m wired different than most I guess. I relish the challenge and I want to see my team take on other great teams. I cringe when I see other UConn fans fretting and bellowing about the teams they are hoping to avoid. Just unseemly imho but that’s just me.

But there’s little doubt SC drew the toughest 8 seed I can recall off hand and they’ve more than acquitted themselves. And beating a hot team like that can only be good for the confidence.

Reaction Score
I’m wired different than most I guess. I relish the challenge and I want to see my team take on other great teams. I cringe when I see other UConn fans fretting and bellowing about the teams they are hoping to avoid. Just unseemly imho but that’s just me.

But there’s little doubt SC drew the toughest 8 seed I can recall off hand and they’ve more than acquitted themselves. And beating a hot team like that can only be good for the confidence.

"You may have it all" said Toad. " I'm going to bake a cake."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did ky look like a good team to you? Caitlin is terrific and a prolific scorer, but Ark, Ky and TENN have at least shown us that the mid level B1G tougher than the mid SEC. I did not see that coming. looking forward to Iowa v UConn. Can’t wait for 9 PM. Tonite.
I didn't see it coming either.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't know if it has been said earlier in this thread but, Iowa is the worst defensive team in the country. If UConn plays as it did tonight, they should win.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it has been said earlier in this thread but, Iowa is the worst defensive team in the country. If UConn plays as it did tonight, they should win.
No, trust me. Minnesota was a worse defense.
28F29817-8C36-4FF6-9632-32577C722F0F.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No, trust me. Minnesota was a worse defense. View attachment 66237
That looks like DePaul at the bottom of the list. Maybe that's why they couldn't beat anybody at the end of the season.

edit--might also explain why Portland was so disappointing this year.

Reaction Score
No, trust me. Minnesota was a worse defense. View attachment 66237
Iowa gives up a lot of points, but I actually thought they looked pretty good at that end against Central Michigan. They stayed organized and weren’t just simply letting CMU do what they want. The CMU stud hit a few tough shots before she got in foul trouble, but it wasn’t awful defense typically. And I missed the game today, but 22 at the half speaks for itself.

They may throw some triangle and two or box and ones out there and the way UConn shoots, theres the potential they find the right junk that keeps them in the game - or within punching distance for a barrage of threes (trouble with Iowa is they all shoot 3s well - so you can’t help off anyone).

I would have felt more confident in this one two weeks ago before watching Iowa than I do now.

Reaction Score
Iowa gives up a lot of points, but I actually thought they looked pretty good at that end against Central Michigan. They stayed organized and weren’t just simply letting CMU do what they want. The CMU stud hit a few tough shots before she got in foul trouble, but it wasn’t awful defense typically. And I missed the game today, but 22 at the half speaks for itself.

They may throw some triangle and two or box and ones out there and the way UConn shoots, theres the potential they find the right junk that keeps them in the game - or within punching distance for a barrage of threes (trouble with Iowa is they all shoot 3s well - so you can’t help off anyone).

I would have felt more confident in this one two weeks ago before watching Iowa than I do now.

I think the biggest question for Iowa opponents is how they adjust to Iowa's pace. Some teams seem to adjust badly, becoming rushed or discombobulated or demoralized...an example of "the best defense is a good offense."

Then you have a team like Maryland, which likes the pace as much as Iowa, but is better. Those games were won 111-98 and 104-84.

UConn doesn't like that same level of pace, and I don't expect UConn to get 100, but 80 pts+ is quite reasonable. Whether that's enough depends on how well they do on the other end...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom