4th Straight Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

4th Straight Year

Reaction Score
Hurley deserves his share of blame. But Hurley has proven he can win and build programs. These players have never had a winning season
What we can say is that Hurley is no miracle worker. Looks to be that this trick pony’s success depends heavily on recruiting and cult of personality motivation. I was hoping for better player development, team execution and game management.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to believe how bad our talent dropped off but the results speak for themselves.

? A month ago they beat Florida, Buffalo, Miami, and should have beaten Xavier.

They have regressed immensely in a month's time and it started with those listless inept offensive performances in the games following Charleston.

Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, please stop and think about this. This is Coach Hurley's first recruiting class and as it were he came in a little late. The recruites he brought in are meshing for the first time with Ollie's players and I guarantee you they are not the same type of player. That in itself is problematical. The problem he is facing is the same that, with the exception of a few coaches at schools like Duke, Kentucky and Kansas face, is bringing in the four and five star recruits.. Let's have a little faith and I think we will be rewarded with a solid, competitive every year team.

Reaction Score
It's a massive mistake he didn't tell guys what's up the past two years and find them places to move on to. He's gotta bring in guys who fit what he wants to do right now or we're gonna get killed in the Big East next season. What we have coming in so far isn't enough and you don't have unlimited job security when you keep losing badly.
Agree but any coach would find a way to work with the personnel he has, not wants. I guess that’s the gripe behind all the down trodden thoughts. He should have helped move these guys to the a10,maac and so on but didn’t. These are his guys his team and his culture. You’re a good poster FYI.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
? A month ago they beat Florida, Buffalo, Miami, and should have beaten Xavier.

They have regressed immensely in a month's time and it started with those listless inept offensive performances in the games following Charleston.
Florida was.a.fluke, none of the others may make the dance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We’ve started 0-2 in conference. What an embarrassing start. Still salvageable, but we dig these holes for ourselves every year. We need massive roster turnover this off-season. Enough with the “polite” method. Recruit over some of these guys
I know the recruiting pitch:
"Come for the best fans."

Reaction Score
Florida was.a.fluke, none of the others may make the dance.

They are all at the quality of USF and Cincy or better.

the upperclassmen are what they are . But Hurley lost the team. Proof is in the results.

Reaction Score
The problem is there is a gap between what Hurley wants to do and what his players can do. He needs to readjust if this season is to end in the postseason. He’s trying to get milk from a rock. It ain’t working

Reaction Score
2 years in and dude gets a pass to not even be competitive vs near .500 teams because some players played a year under KO. When he beats Florida/Miami Hurley is the reincarnation of Wooden, but when they get their wigs pushed back against the St Joes, Cincy's and S. Floridas of the world its not his fault, wait until he gets all of his players. A good deal of y'all looking real funny in the light.

Reaction Score
It's a massive mistake he didn't tell guys what's up the past two years and find them places to move on to. He's gotta bring in guys who fit what he wants to do right now or we're gonna get killed in the Big East next season. What we have coming in so far isn't enough and you don't have unlimited job security when you keep losing badly.
With the young talent we'll have next year, there will be more than a few beatdowns in the BE next year..

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
...Stay for the pizza
Thanks, I needed that.
TBH, I just stuffed myself at my sister's birthday party in Stratford, and am now parked and about to meet friends at BAR. The thought of eating pizza disgusts me. I'll have to dig down deep and find a way to get it done, like a team going to Tampa to play a directional opponent. Oh wait...

Reaction Score
2 years in and dude gets a pass to not even be competitive vs near .500 teams because some players played a year under KO. When he beats Florida/Miami Hurley is the reincarnation of Wooden, but when they get their wigs pushed back against the St Joes, Cincy's and S. Floridas of the world its not his fault, wait until he gets all of his players. A good deal of y'all looking real funny in the light.
Why can’t two things be true? Hurley isnt lighting the world on fire right now BUT his ingredients suck. Both of those things are true. He’s won before with similar talent. He needs to be better. But these upperclassmen are what they are. They’re mental midgets

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And you can't figure out how to pluralize words that are singular.
Who's playing defense on you?

Reaction Score
This team is legitimately bad. I was fooled earlier in the season. UConn has a long way to go to be good again. A winning record this season is about all we can hope for.
I don’t know. I just can’t buy that this team is “bad”. They beat Florida and destroyed Miami. Those were not flukes. The only thing I can think of is that this season reminds me a lot of the 2010 season where we blew out LSU, but we could not get over the hump to beat the other heavy weights in the non conference schedule like Duke or Kentucky even though we played them tough. That season did not end well and it looked like they regressed as the season went on.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of believing going on here until New Year's day.

We believed in the narrative and the history of how Hurley's a turnaround guy;
We saw development in several players last year and believed the summer improvement stories;
We began to see what the three freshmen are capable of doing; and
We shook off last season's losing record by pointing out how Hurley doesn't have his own players yet and it's really the second year where his teams take off;

But now we're panicking that maybe he's a mirage and can't coach.

Well, he could coach in Charleston where, except for our point guard's poor decisions and one miracle three pointer by Xavier to tie it in regulation, we could have had three nice wins.
He could coach a nice win against (agreed they were overrated) a highly ranked team, Florida.
He could coach when he was able to recruit some very good freshmen this year with two other very good recruits signed for next year.

Who knows if he's the right guy, but he's got five more years after this, so everybody ought to relax and pray.

The thing that concerns me is what happened after Charleston. The team looked loose and played hard and played well. How could the team and all ten active players look so good and now look as if they've never played together, especially on offense?

Reaction Score
Sorry but it’s great to beat Florida, should’ve beaten both Xavier and Indiana (why did we lose those 2 by the way?) and now we come out and crap ourselves dramatically. I mean in our in our first 2 games against 1 decent team and one that blows yet we’re ok our coach can’t get us in position to win these? Sorry he has a ton to prove now there’s pieces out there no way you lose that bad to USF. More on him than the players if they’re regressing. Totally unacceptable now totally!!!!!!’

The Big East will own us. Stop the KO-players BS at this point they’re good enough to hit the bubble yet we are very short of that suddenly?

Reaction Score

If your paying real close attention, the players that are inept have been the holdovers. The newbies are making freshmen mistakes which we can live with. I don’t love Hurley’s coaching, but he has only been here a year. Definitely deserves more time. If we aren’t in the tourney year 4, we have a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom