4K TV recommendation | The Boneyard

4K TV recommendation

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Anyone have recommendations for 55 to 65 inch 4K TVs? Need a living room upgrade.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Anyone have recommendations for 55 to 65 inch 4K TVs? Need a living room upgrade.
Same advice I've been giving for close to a decade now. Unless you are a videophile, and if you were you wouldn't be asking, TVs are pretty much a commodity item now. Unless you are at the super high end which you have to pay excessively more for, they are all pretty much going to look better than fine.

Go to Costco and get the biggest set you can afford. It would be nearly impossible to find a large TV that didn't support 4k. Costco extends the warranty and gives you a 90 day no questions asked return if something better comes along.

Reaction Score
I went with a 65" Hisense U8G a few months back. Cheaper for 4k 120hz at that size, around $1k. Decent quality. Built in Chromecast. It's ULED instead of OLED, but good enough for me. Has 4 HDMI inputs, including 2 that are HDMI 2.1.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Same advice I've been giving for close to a decade now. Unless you are a videophile, and if you were you wouldn't be asking, TVs are pretty much a commodity item now. Unless you are at the super high end which you have to pay excessively more for, they are all pretty much going to look better than fine.

Go to Costco and get the biggest set you can afford. It would be nearly impossible to find a large TV that didn't support 4k. Costco extends the warranty and gives you a 90 day no questions asked return if something better comes along.
One caveat - As others have said, paying extra for OLED is probably worth it if it still fits in your budget for the size you want. I would prioritize size over OLED if your budget is constrained, but if you can afford OLED in the size that works, go that way.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just added a 65" Sony X80J OLED for $1799. Easy set up. Great picture. Almost purchased a TCL R646 which you can probably get get at Best Buy for $999
So did I. It's hard to get anything better. I put my 65" Sony A8 in the bedroom. I'm one of those that shops for a long time before he buys. I read all the reviews and I do a lot of store comparisons. The reviews and my eyes agreed that the LG C1 was not comparable.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pick the nicest LG or Sony you can afford and done.

I went Sony because 1) amazing picture and 2) the TV is now the center speaker in my home theater set up and it works great.

Reaction Score
Sony mentioned above. Probably A80J if it's on sale. OLED
The X Series is LED.

LG C1 is the top pure picture for movies at the top of your budget. May not be perfect in a brighter room. OLED

Samsung QN90A is the Best LCD period. Saw one Sunday. Brilliant picture and contrast. Wife had to drag me from the store. LCD

You can save money with the TCL R646 but it needs a firmware update or 2 because of a couple Google and navigation issues. Still good LCD for the money.

Hisense is knocking on the door but it's a compromise between getting the best or saving the money.

TV's have made big PQ jumps over the last 5 years and they're really getting close to perfection between sports, movies and gaming. Take advantage of sales because they will have price guarantees at most retailers and some may go off sale or have inventory issues later. Sooner you can decide the better. I would want the Samsung strictly because I need the brightness in my room and I HATE ABL dimming whites to grey during a hockey game. Plus Samsung has very deep blacks for an LED. Your eyes and environment may differ.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I went Sony because 1) amazing picture and 2) the TV is now the center speaker in my home theater set up and it works great.
Did you get the new Sony HT Speaker system Mike? Great reviews and compatible but apparently sound great with or without a center.

Reaction Score

Yeah, i'm a Sony guy too. Have multiple OLED's. LG has some amazing TV's as well. If you go huge on size and budget, Sony, LG and Samsung all have some good models. If you just want a good 65 that you can get at best buy, I would go Sony first, LG 2nd. LG picture is as good if not better but Sony is great as well and just easier to manage. I find their tv's very user friendly.

Reaction Score
We have 5 TCLs in the house, 4 in the man cave downstairs. I think it is absolutely the best value / sneaky good quality you can buy. Be sure to get the ones with the Roku menu instead of the Android one.

Reaction Score
Am definitely interested in the Sony 65” A80J OLED, but hope the price goes down for Black Friday. Anyone know if Best Buy has this planned for sale? Our Samsung 8000 LED is a bit fuzzy on edges and is 55” also, a larger TV would be great. I like hearing the Sony’s sound quality is good as is too.

Reaction Score
LG C1 OLED 65inch is $1799 now at all of the big box stores (Best Buy, Costco, Walmart). Probably the best picture at that size for under $2k. 55 inch is $1300
Agree. Just bought a 55" and returning it for a 65. Picture is fantastic..

Reaction Score

We found we didn’t need the soundbar we were using with the older LG when we got a new Sony. The tv speakers were much better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Timely advice from you on commodification of appliances. We have a 3-4 year old dishwasher (Insert Mrs. Diesel jokes here) and it doesn't heat up any more. I spent $35 for a new heating element. Checked out wiring and connections. No joy. Debating whether it's worth getting an appliance repair guy to come take a look or just buy a new one. Diswashers have started going up in price so, I'll probably make a call for a repair dude before buying a new one.

While looking at dishwashers at a store I wandered over to electronics and was looking at all the TV's. At a certain level you know a $2500 TV is better than an $800 TV. But I kept asking myself what is the difference and is that difference big enough for what I use a TV. I'm looking and I know all of them are better than my current 5-6 year old TV but I sure ain't the one to talk someone in to the more expensive one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have 5 TCLs in the house, 4 in the man cave downstairs. I think it is absolutely the best value / sneaky good quality you can buy. Be sure to get the ones with the Roku menu instead of the Android one.
I'm convinced TCL is the way to go. My CR "Best Buy" Samsung was dead after 4 years. Our Sony wasn't noticeably better, just noticeably more expensive.

Reaction Score
It’s wild how good TVs have gotten and because of that, how slow the improvement has gotten. The best TVs today show marginal improvement in actual viewing quality (I.e. at a normal viewing distance and not standing two inches away) compared to the best TVs ten years ago. In the couple decades before that, it felt like you couldn’t go 2 years without your TV being completely obsolete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom