45:07 is what excites me about the coming year | The Boneyard

45:07 is what excites me about the coming year

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The early message from the players was that they will keep in the front of the minds the disaster that was the final 45:07 of our last season. The time when we quit playing UConn ball and shattered dreams. CW, EW, and Ono all spoke about having the attitude of never taking a play off, of never quitting but continually striving. The attitude of not being satisfied with a win but of playing the game the right way for every minute. It has been a while since I have seen the killer attitude and am ready to see the entire team play hard the entire year. I want to see the mental toughness that bends every team to our will. #45:07

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not sure I understand the 45:07 reference?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1486D16C-411A-4814-B528-0B707E33B01D.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
45:07 was the slogan for the men's team summer workouts. It was on the clock and Hurley had tee shirts made up. It refers to the last 5 minutes and 7 seconds of the Big East Championship after RJ Cole our starting point guard went out and the NCAA game against Maryland. The notion was that the team didn't compete at the levels it expects for those 45 minutes. It isn't applicable to the women's team.

Reaction Score
Although, I believe that people are in charge of their attitude, they are also hostages to who they really are. After losing in the semis for the past few years, one would think the killer attitude would have been there last season. It’s also difficult to to just flick a switch and wham..a killer attitude. Especially when a team ends their regular season with 10 games against teams they could beat if they had an “ I may not get out of bed today” attitude.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Although, I believe that people are in charge of their attitude, they are also hostages to who they really are. After losing in the semis for the past few years, one would think the killer attitude would have been there last season. It’s also difficult to to just flick a switch and wham..a killer attitude. Especially when a team ends their regular season with 10 games against teams they could beat if they had an “ I may not get out of bed today” attitude.

Reaction Score
The early message from the players was that they will keep in the front of the minds the disaster that was the final 45:07 of our last season. The time when we quit playing UConn ball and shattered dreams. CW, EW, and Ono all spoke about having the attitude of never taking a play off, of never quitting but continually striving. The attitude of not being satisfied with a win but of playing the game the right way for every minute. It has been a while since I have seen the killer attitude and am ready to see the entire team play hard the entire year. I want to see the mental toughness that bends every team to our will. #45:07
So you've been in the preeminent basketball program in all the country for three years now, coached by two hall of fame coaches , supposedly the caretakers of a national championship-winning tradition and it takes you to your senior year to realize that you can't take plays off and you must develop a "never quit" attitude? Interesting.
I would think these would be absolute and engrained tenets by your third practice at UConn.

Reaction Score
So you've been in the preeminent basketball program in all the country for three years now, coached by two hall of fame coaches , supposedly the caretakers of a national championship-winning tradition and it takes you to your senior year to realize that you can't take plays off and you must develop a "never quit" attitude? Interesting.
I would think these would be absolute and engrained tenets by your third practice at UConn.
Bingo!

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you wrote except the reference to the schedule which really contradicts your earlier point. You don’t develop a killer attitude by anything other than what is inside you; Uconn had close, challenging games leading up to the Arizona loss, probably as many as in many of their championship years. They still chose to take Arizona lightly, to me that is more dictated by “DNA” than schedule. One competes because a score is being kept, every time, that attitude doesn’t guarantee winning, but it does guarantee you never lose because you approached a game taking an opponent lightly.
Statistics be damned, I have posted before and will always feel the biggest, while far from the only, factor in the loss was not starting Muhl. it is (and always was) hindsight for sure but that doesn’t make it any less true.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think the team took these F4 teams lightly, and don't get crazy on me, but I think the coaches took the teams lightly. Maybe not lightly, but we have seen other coaches like Brenda and Jeff in their locker rooms before games. Their demeaner is usually very intense, as when ever we see Geno he talks to them like it was practice. Maybe he needs to get funky, take a lesson from Calhoun, get these girls worked up. He has to motivate them higher than when they play DePaul, etc. I can't ever forget what he has done here, but if he wants more NC than he has to do something different. You can't tell me that being in a lousy conference doesn't put them at a disadvantage when playing a team like Arizona, a team that has been battle tested all year in the PAC12.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the team took these F4 teams lightly, and don't get crazy on me, but I think the coaches took the teams lightly. Maybe not lightly, but we have seen other coaches like Brenda and Jeff in their locker rooms before games. Their demeaner is usually very intense, as when ever we see Geno he talks to them like it was practice. Maybe he needs to get funky, take a lesson from Calhoun, get these girls worked up. He has to motivate them higher than when they play DePaul, etc. I can't ever forget what he has done here, but if he wants more NC than he has to do something different. You can't tell me that being in a lousy conference doesn't put them at a disadvantage when playing a team like Arizona, a team that has been battle tested all year in the PAC12.
So you’re suggesting that the guy who’s won 11 national championships has a problem motivating his team for the national semifinals?

That’s a novel thought……….

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Arizona and in particular Aari used the disrespect card beautifully. That can be very very powerful and at the same time, you cant blame such a young team from being so giddy and perhaps a bit to "full of themselves". And when reality hit in Q1, did not have the experience to recover.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
So you’re suggesting that the guy who’s won 11 national championships has a problem motivating his team for the national semifinals?

Of course not, just saying that after 4 losses in a row someone has to stand up and rock the house. Maybe the captains, because hearing CW say they took the team lightly, well, that shouldn't happen, especially in a final 4. No disrespect for Geno, I love the guy. By the way, trying to remember, I believe they have been in 21 final fours, which means they lost 10 times in the semis'.

Reaction Score
Of course not, just saying that after 4 losses in a row someone has to stand up and rock the house. Maybe the captains, because hearing CW say they took the team lightly, well, that shouldn't happen, especially in a final 4. No disrespect for Geno, I love the guy. By the way, trying to remember, I believe they have been in 21 final fours, which means they lost 10 times in the semis'.
However, they won all 11 Championship games (more than half-full). I'm pretty sure that makes Geno & CD the best "two day" turnaround coaches in the history of the college game.

Hopefully, the "good enough, we won didn't we?" attitude is a thing of the past, and they learn what Geno is trying to fine tune at the end of games sinks into each of their consciences early, and they learn to put away the games by halftime, and keep their "feet on the accelerator" through the rest of the game, so the non-starters and third string can learn the same thing. That way they can "keep it learned" as a program like in the days of Mo Jeff, Tuck, and Stewie....

Reaction Score

If you agree with the starter of this thread, there is a problem at the coaching level. In the past, recruiting and practice was all that was needed. They were superior to any team out there. Motivation was not that important. Now, in order to win the NC, they must play teams with enough talent to compete with them. So, what separates the winners and the losers. It’s a mindset that the coach must instill in his/her players. A refuse to lose- drag me bloody off the court- you are not beating me tonight attitude. That’s motivation. And, that’s what is missing…..and that’s the coach.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you wrote except the reference to the schedule which really contradicts your earlier point. You don’t develop a killer attitude by anything other than what is inside you; Uconn had close, challenging games leading up to the Arizona loss, probably as many as in many of their championship years. They still chose to take Arizona lightly, to me that is more dictated by “DNA” than schedule. One competes because a score is being kept, every time, that attitude doesn’t guarantee winning, but it does guarantee you never lose because you approached a game taking an opponent lightly.
Statistics be damned, I have posted before and will always feel the biggest, while far from the only, factor in the loss was not starting Muhl. it is (and always was) hindsight for sure but that doesn’t make it any less true.
I agree with your point….it must be inside you.. but sometimes players need to be encouraged to bring it out. That’s been lacking.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't take her comments too literal. Anytime a team gets beaten and it's considered a big upset - nearly all the time the players will say "We weren't ready to play." If you lose yet overall yet your team was considered quite a bit better and it didn't come down to a final shot or two - what are you supposed to say?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom