45:07 is what excites me about the coming year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

45:07 is what excites me about the coming year

Reaction Score
So you've been in the preeminent basketball program in all the country for three years now, coached by two hall of fame coaches , supposedly the caretakers of a national championship-winning tradition and it takes you to your senior year to realize that you can't take plays off and you must develop a "never quit" attitude? Interesting.
I would think these would be absolute and engrained tenets by your third practice at UConn.
agreed, I hate this sour grapes attitude. "We weren't ready to play" It's a final 4 game, if you can't get up for that I'd be concerned

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wouldn't take her comments too literal. Anytime a team gets beaten and it's considered a big upset - nearly all the time the players will say "We weren't ready to play." If you lose yet overall yet your team was considered quite a bit better and it didn't come down to a final shot or two - what are you supposed to say?
I agree. Was going to post something similar.

Reaction Score
I would agree with the sentiment of Littlemin's post. Unfortunately Nika was still not recovered from the ankle injury for the Arizona game, that was obvious by how she moved. I truly believe that had she been she would have started and it would have been a different game. I think Geno believed that as well. She was out there playing, in the limited way she could and obviously not yet recovered, not because she was fully back but to motive her teammates. Geno said during the season that it was a different team with her on the floor, and that it was a better team. She was the fire, an unquenchable energy - a player that could play angry. Ari may have gotten around her a number of times but help may have been there more, double teams harassing her more - the huskies may have adjusted early in the game to play 'angrier' and fought harder with more indignation if the pre injury Muhl showed up for that game.

Nika repeatedly in various interviews during the season said what she brought to the team was 'being that energy guy'. Geno commented that Nika's exuberance at setting a great pick was like she had hit a three to win the NC. At any huddle on the court you could see her arms around her teammates and her lips moving. Remember the game, during the last few seconds when the opposing player was actually trying to steal the ball when she was dribbling down the clock - post game at his interview Geno was cracking up saying Nika was really pissed. Geno has said that no one took the Arizona loss harder than Nika and she has said she never wants to feel that way again. She is intensity personified, and in my opinion we badly needed that in the Arizona game. Maybe we still lose that game -not downplaying Arizona's game - but it would have been a different game with a healthy Nika Muhl.

Reaction Score
If you agree with the starter of this thread, there is a problem at the coaching level. In the past, recruiting and practice was all that was needed. They were superior to any team out there. Motivation was not that important. Now, in order to win the NC, they must play teams with enough talent to compete with them. So, what separates the winners and the losers. It’s a mindset that the coach must instill in his/her players. A refuse to lose- drag me bloody off the court- you are not beating me tonight attitude. That’s motivation. And, that’s what is missing…..and that’s the coach.
I respect your opinion, but disagree that the team lacks motivation, especially from the coaches. I believe what was missing was the efficiency, or a lack of efficiency in shooting. I am not going to name players, but there were numerous times when the ball didn’t make it inside the basket, even when the player(s) was/were next to it. Hopefully the team remains healthy, and everyone comes plays with determination and grit.

PS: Like most fans, I’m anxiously awaiting the start of the season

Reaction Score
Although, I believe that people are in charge of their attitude, they are also hostages to who they really are. After losing in the semis for the past few years, one would think the killer attitude would have been there last season. It’s also difficult to to just flick a switch and wham..a killer attitude. Especially when a team ends their regular season with 10 games against teams they could beat if they had an “ I may not get out of bed today” you're absolutely correct Ono and CW were there before when they played Phessa and Crystal and they both played the same way they played last year especially Ono who really hasn't developed into the dominant big we thought she'd be in the end talent wins out and they had better talent last year which is what new got them to the finals with the infusion of talent they should go further if the new talent plays up to it's potential

Reaction Score
I think, and it is my opinion only, that the loss of that game occurred in the human minds of those players before the game even started. These "kids" lost the eye of the tiger. They lost the hunger. If you keep being told by other outside souces that you are really good and that the opponent cannot compete with you, you relax and feel that you can just roll to victory. They just did not grasp the idea that they could lose before that game.

I remember when the team that won 4 Championships in a row, there was a game where Stewart et al were just lumbering along against a nobody opponent in the other league, Geno pulled them out of the game and sat them down. There was a lesson being taught.

This lesson must be accepted by every player no matter the situation. And, I also remember that another lesson where if you are not shooting, do the other things to disrupt and assist in a win.

The Marine Corps teaches the entire Corps to never give up on the intensity to accomplish the mission. Everyone is a rifleman including cooks, motor transport, whatever. To adapt, improvise, and overcome. I think....that Geno tries to do this with every class. But his job is even more difficult given the nature of his "college" environment.

Please forgive me for bad typing and writing. My mind thinks it, but it just does not get to the keys and into a sentence anymore.

Reaction Score
I find this thread very interesting, but only felt the need to post after viewing the clip of the facilities.
And Nika is the tie in.
I believe the feed in to her tenacity and dogged determination is the fact that she knows that she is in woman’s college basketball heaven.
I’m sure, in her early playing years, she could never imagine playing and training is such a magnificent venue.
Playing in a beautiful arena.
Coached by the best.
Quality education.
Safe environment.
Treated royally.
Unlike many of her teammates, she was probably not tracked and recruited for 3-4 years prior to her decision.
I think she knows better than most the gifts she has been visited with and realizes that her end of the equation in to not take a nanosecond off.
I am in no way diminishing the commitment of her teammates- I just believe she has a different perspective on this opportunity and where she now finds herself.
Every time she sets foot on the court- she is jets on and doesn’t require a slogan to remind her.
JMHO

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion, but disagree that the team lacks motivation, especially from the coaches. I believe what was missing was the efficiency, or a lack of efficiency in shooting. I am not going to name players, but there were numerous times when the ball didn’t make it inside the basket, even when the player(s) was/were next to it. Hopefully the team remains healthy, and everyone comes plays with determination and grit.

PS: Like most fans, I’m anxiously awaiting the start of the season
Except the people (person) who missed had consistently performed that way at that level of competition so to expect differently IMO has no justification. Since the players themselves admitted they took Arizona lightly, I am not sure how one disagree, whether it be called motivation, intensity, focus, whatever, it was just not there.

Reaction Score
I find this thread very interesting, but only felt the need to post after viewing the clip of the facilities.
And Nika is the tie in.
I believe the feed in to her tenacity and dogged determination is the fact that she knows that she is in woman’s college basketball heaven.
I’m sure, in her early playing years, she could never imagine playing and training is such a magnificent venue.
Coached by the best.
Quality education.
Safe environment.
Treated royally.
Unlike many of her teammates, she was probably not tracked and recruited for 3-4 years prior to her decision.
I think she knows better than most the gifts she has been visited with and realizes that her end of the equation in to not take a nanosecond off.
I am in no way diminishing the commitment of her teammates- I just believe she has a different perspective on this opportunity and where she now finds herself.
Every time she sets foot on the court- she is jets on and doesn’t require a slogan to remind her.
JMHO
Your assessment just does not hold water.
Nika Muhl came to Uconn with her reputation as a ferocious competitor well established. Many here chose (choose) to ignore that, plain and simple. And she was plenty recruited by the very best of programs, WBB coaches knew of her, no question.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you wrote except the reference to the schedule which really contradicts your earlier point. You don’t develop a killer attitude by anything other than what is inside you; Uconn had close, challenging games leading up to the Arizona loss, probably as many as in many of their championship years. They still chose to take Arizona lightly, to me that is more dictated by “DNA” than schedule. One competes because a score is being kept, every time, that attitude doesn’t guarantee winning, but it does guarantee you never lose because you approached a game taking an opponent lightly.
Statistics be damned, I have posted before and will always feel the biggest, while far from the only, factor in the loss was not starting Muhl. it is (and always was) hindsight for sure but that doesn’t make it any less true.
Not sure about the close challenging games. Arkansas, S. Carolina, Baylor, maybe Tennessee. (as well as the Arizona game)
Also have to include a couple of Big East games where they were misfiring and disorganized in the first half (didn't they trail at the half at De Paul?) but caught fire and won going away.
Of course the regular season games with Louisville and Baylor got cancelled and the freshmen could have really benefited from the competition.
Which sort of speaks to something that has been overlooked.
Everybody had schedule screw-ups, bubble living, homesickness and every other kind of COVID related horror stories.
From what I understand, the women's BB team from Stanford were basically kicked out of California for an extended period of time and wound up wandering around looking for venues in which to play.
Yet, somehow they managed to pull their act together in the NCAA and focus on what was required to come away with the W's.
Was it talent, coaching,character...a combination of all 3?
I was really impressed by the way the young UCONN team went undefeated in a new, however weak, conference.
Lost Geno (and Shea) at a very critical time, but made it, convincingly, past the 2 opening games with CD at the helm.
Played well against Iowa, and were able to find a way to come back in a tough situation in the Baylor game.
Although the last 40 minutes of the season left the same bad taste with me, maybe, because I wasn't really watching until after all the NC's, I'm a little more forgiving, maybe a little less demanding (dare I say spoiled) than those who have been closely involved over the long haul.
Yes, I'm quite aware that the bar is set a little higher in Storrs. It's a big part of what has motivated the various phenomenal athletes that have been on the court over the years. Not to mention the recruiting mystique that has attracted all that talent.
Where else in this universe are 13 straight FF's met with "Yeah, so what? What have you done lately?"
I get it...they are the UCONN Huskies and have to meet a higher standard.
But along with my high expectations, I can't help but have a sincere appreciation for what was put on display recently.
I look forward to another season of WBB the way it should be done and, just maybe, the last 40 minutes of 2021-2022 will yield a fantastic finish which will be all the sweeter for the waiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And Nika is the tie in.
Coached by the best.
Quality education.
Safe environment.
Treated royally.
JMHO
I suspect it is less early deprivation and current appreciation than an innate competitiveness and hatred of losing. Some people just have that. Jamelle Elliot, Jen Renzatti, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi all come to mind. Nika seem very much of that mindset and level of intensity.

Reaction Score
I suspect it is less early deprivation and current appreciation than an innate competitiveness and hatred of losing. Some people just have that. Jamelle Elliot, Jen Renzatti, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi all come to mind. Nika seem very much of that mindset and level of intensity.
In regards to Jen and Jamelle, I wonder how some would feel nowadays on this board after UCONN winning the title in 94-95 and then following up with 4 losses and no title during the 95-96 season despite having the POY and arguably the best center and with super-soph Sales?

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with the thoughts about Nika here. She has the take no prisoners attitude that seems to be missing. A bit disturbing though, that we seem to be relying on one player (who quite possibly may not even be in the starting 5) to instill that attitude on her teammates. Maybe they should pay her to be a player/coach.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with the thoughts about Nika here. She has the take no prisoners attitude that seems to be missing. A bit disturbing though, that we seem to be relying on one player (who quite possibly may not even be in the starting 5) to instill that attitude on her teammates. Maybe they should pay her to be a player/coach.
I agree Muhl certainly may or may not start but I wrote about her potential importance to the team before a game was played last year and IMO, it proved out, albeit negatively. A different year, different players, so we shall see. I believe Ducharme possibly also brings that same unrelenting intensity.

CL82

Reaction Score
In regards to Jen and Jamelle, I wonder how some would feel nowadays on this board after UCONN winning the title in 94-95 and then following up with 4 losses and no title during the 95-96 season despite having the POY and arguably the best center and with super-soph Sales?
Disappointed?

[shrugs]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you agree with the starter of this thread, there is a problem at the coaching level. In the past, recruiting and practice was all that was needed. They were superior to any team out there. Motivation was not that important. Now, in order to win the NC, they must play teams with enough talent to compete with them. So, what separates the winners and the losers. It’s a mindset that the coach must instill in his/her players. A refuse to lose- drag me bloody off the court- you are not beating me tonight attitude. That’s motivation. And, that’s what is missing…..and that’s the coach.
There are lots of reasons why UConn lost the last 4 national semifinal games they played in. Coaching was not one of them.

Reaction Score
There are lots of reasons why UConn lost the last 4 national semifinal games they played in. Coaching was not one of them.
There were many different players in those 4 semifinal games. The one consistent was the coach. He doesn’t get a free pass.

Reaction Score
The reason Uconn lost last year in the semis (and the past several years) is they got punched in the mouth & they didnt know how to punch back. UConn's a "finesse" team, plain-and-simple. Thats fine against the creampuffs in the regular season, but when the stakes are at their highest & your competitor provokes you into a "rock fight", you have to know how to respond. And, UConn hasnt. It helps if you have some "bangers" on the inside and are used to a physical game in the paint. Instead, UConn has relied on talented, but finesse, wingers to win games. UConn had the same problem with some of the physical Rutgers teams about 15 years ago. UConn was more talented on paper, but couldnt adjust to Rutgers' game, especially when DT left.

Reaction Score
The reason Uconn lost last year in the semis (and the past several years) is they got punched in the mouth & they didnt know how to punch back. UConn's a "finesse" team, plain-and-simple. Thats fine against the creampuffs in the regular season, but when the stakes are at their highest & your competitor provokes you into a "rock fight", you have to know how to respond. And, UConn hasnt. It helps if you have some "bangers" on the inside and are used to a physical game in the paint. Instead, UConn has relied on talented, but finesse, wingers to win games. UConn had the same problem with some of the physical Rutgers teams about 15 years ago. UConn was more talented on paper, but couldnt adjust to Rutgers' game, especially when DT left.
Agree, but physical is contagious and doesn’t start or end down low, many examples of small tough players. Calvin Murphy and Norm Van Lier from my era of ball come to mind immediately.

Reaction Score
I agree.
It may be markedly different this year.
They have more size up front which will allow them to bang more and risk giving a up couple more fouls.
And Aaliyah is going to take a major step forward.
When all is said and done, I believe she will go down as one of the all time greats to wear a UCONN uniform.

CL82

Reaction Score
Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There were many different players in those 4 semifinal games. The one consistent was the coach. He doesn’t get a free pass.
That is true, but (as has been pointed out before) what other WCBB coach in America has been able to bring his/her teams to the National Semifinal game in each of the last four years?
The reason Uconn lost last year in the semis (and the past several years) is they got punched in the mouth & they didnt know how to punch back. UConn's a "finesse" team, plain-and-simple.... It helps if you have some "bangers" on the inside and are used to a physical game in the paint. Instead, UConn has relied on talented, but finesse, wingers to win games.
I agree that UConn has been limited since 2016 by the lack of dominant post players, and I think it is highly probable that if Azura had stayed for her last season, it would have produced an NC in 2019. And if Geno had used her more against ND in her last actual game for UConn, they might have won that game, but would then probably have lost in the next game.

However, I do not agree that the teams that beat them (Miss. State, ND twice, and Arizona) did so with physical play. That may have had some role in the Mississippi State loss, but neither ND nor Arizona were particularly big or physical teams. In fact, they were both smaller teams than UConn in those years. And they did not win with physical play in the paint, but by hitting more shots. However, it's true that if UConn had had a Tina or a Stef or a Stewie in those games, it might well have made the difference.

For the immediate future, I think the most important antidote to this recent deficiency is Aaliyah Edwards. That is why I think she will start next to Liv in a "2 big" lineup, even if it means that both Nika and Azzi have to come off the bench. The other big improvement in the upcoming year is that Liv and Aaliyah will have competent backups, which will be very much needed when they get into foul trouble as they inevitably will.

Next year, when Ice and Ayanna arrive to complement Aaliyah, the problem of "too much finesse" will be put firmly in the rear view mirror.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
but neither ND nor Arizona were particularly big or physical teams
I'm not sure how you could watch Arizona play and describe them as not particularly physical. Height isn't everything, they had several players who were very muscular and strong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So it must be somebody’s fault that UConn lost those games? It can’t be that the other teams were better and deserved to win?

UConn has made it to 13 straight FF appearances. Many of us consider that to be the greatest achievement in the history of college basketball. The one “consistent” was the coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom