#4 Baylor @ #16 Arkansas - 12/06/20 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#4 Baylor @ #16 Arkansas - 12/06/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I still don't get why Kim didn't submit waivers. Jaiden Owens could have been used

Reaction Score
Ark just lowered their heads and drove to the basket every time down the court. Didn’t make a lot of layups, but got to the line all night and hit foul shots. Here again, without Cox in the paint on defense, the Lady Bears are not the same team.

Bickle, Trinity Oliver, Ursin are not very quick and get beat off the bounce pretty regularly. They will have some up and downs this year. The talent simply isn't there this year compared to past teams under Mulkey. I'm sure they will get better but based on what I have seen so far, this team is limited to an extent.

They desperately need Andrews to contribute because they have no one else go to. This is one of the issues with Kim's small roster philosophy. It may bite them this year until they bring in other kids. Kim only signed one this fall. She will certainly be shopping in the portal in the near future.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Easy to see why so many wanted Carrington. Baylor has been underwhelming thus far this season (as has SC IMHO). If Egbo and Smith can have good games AT THE SAME TIME, Baylor could really do some damage late in the NCAA's, but I just don't think they have it at this time.

It has been GREAT seeing the top 10 teams go down so far this season. It's going to be a fun year!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
but will they get the benefit of the same foul calls? Because some of those calls were...........suspicious
Actually, I thought most of the calls were pretty good. With the exception of Richards, Baylor’s players weren’t moving their feet on D. The worst call I saw was when Dungee from Ark was whistled for charging, when the Baylor defender had not established defensive position.

Reaction Score
How far does Baylor drop? Lots of teams right below them looked much better.

Reaction Score
Bickle, Trinity Oliver, Ursin are not very quick and get beat off the bounce pretty regularly. They will have some up and downs this year. The talent simply isn't there this year compared to past teams under Mulkey. I'm sure they will get better but based on what I have seen so far, this team is limited to an extent.

They desperately need Andrews to contribute because they have no one else go to. This is one of the issues with Kim's small roster philosophy. It may bite them this year until they bring in other kids. Kim only signed one this fall. She will certainly be shopping in the portal in the near future.
Smith got beat a lot by dungee

Reaction Score
Easy to see why so many wanted Carrington. Baylor has been underwhelming thus far this season (as has SC IMHO). If Egbo and Smith can have good games AT THE SAME TIME, Baylor could really do some damage late in the NCAA's, but I just don't think they have it at this time.

It has been GREAT seeing the top 10 teams go down so far this season. It's going to be a fun year!!
I think in order for Baylor to be successful we have to move smith or Egbo to the bench! Maybe Baylor will better with one big and 4 guards! It worked for Aja Wilson and South Carolina a few seasons ago.

Reaction Score
Bickle is a god awful shooter. Every single 3 point shot that is wide open is either air balled or she bricks it.
I don’t know what’s wrong with her! She’s actually a good shooter. She’s made some 3’s her freshman and sophomore year! I wish Aquira Decosta would’ve stayed.

Reaction Score
I think in order for Baylor to be successful we have to move smith or Egbo to the bench! Maybe Baylor will better with one big and 4 guards! It worked for Aja Wilson and South Carolina a few seasons ago.

Here is my opinion, Baylor at its best has Smith and Egbo in the game. They need to keep Egbo and Gusters in the low post with Smith outside more. Smith is not a banger exactly inside, she thrives creating off the dribble. I don't think she is comfortable in the low post right now with all that traffic. Egbo has to adjust her attitude, she gets flustered then gets into foul trouble way too often.

They have to cut the turnovers, its simple. A lot of them are unforced and just bad decision making. Baylor simply does not have very many pure shooters. Carrington should start moving forward in place of Trinity. Kim will have to find a way to develop and get Andrews going. I don't see it right now with Bickle or Jordyn Oliver right now. The overall talent is down for Baylor's standard.

Reaction Score
Here is my opinion, Baylor at its best has Smith and Egbo in the game. They need to keep Egbo and Gusters in the low post with Smith outside more. Smith is not a banger exactly inside, she thrives creating off the dribble. I don't think she is comfortable in the low post right now with all that traffic. Egbo has to adjust her attitude, she gets flustered then gets into foul trouble way too often.

They have to cut the turnovers, its simple. A lot of them are unforced and just bad decision making. Baylor simply does not have very many pure shooters. Carrington should start moving forward in place of Trinity. Kim will have to find a way to develop and get Andrews going. I don't see it right now with Bickle or Jordyn Oliver right now. The overall talent is down for Baylor's standard.
Absolutely right on Smith and Egbo. Nalyssa is at her best off the bounce, in transition and off offensive rebounds. Queen has legit low post moves, especially against undersized or slow defenders. Too often they seem to do it backwards, with Queen in the high post and Nalyssa trying to post up like Kalani Brown. I think it would be a mistake to run the offense with Smith as the primary option in the half court. Queen is better suited to that role. There will still be plenty of opportunity for Nalyssa to make plays like she did the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
Baylor had 24 assists, Arkansas had 5. Baylor had 51 rebounds, Arkansas 38. Didn’t watch, What happened?

Reaction Score
Baylor had 24 assists, Arkansas had 5. Baylor had 51 rebounds, Arkansas 38. Didn’t watch, What happened?

Baylor turned the ball over too much, Egbo can't control her emotions (fouled out in 11 minutes of play) and Arkansas had 200 free throws (I kid, but they had like 40 free throws and were at the line it seemed very possession)

I think Baylor played good enough to win offensively. Their D and decision making lost it for them. Arkansas hit their free throws. Arkansas got to the rim at will. The only player from Baylor who attempted to play defense was Richards. I will cut Carrington some slack coming off the knee injury, that was a tough game for her.

Reaction Score
I don’t think she’s ready to be our go to scorer! Right now Queen Egbo is way better than her this season
I never saw h
N. Smith has to step up her game. She honestly may be the most underwhelming returner in all of women college basketball right now, given what she has accomplished her first two years.
I suspected that what she accomplished in her first two years were mostly a result of the players she had around her. As Baylor 1994 stated, she is not really a go to scorer, or Batman, but rather a Robin. The focus on the other players really opened things up for her. She lacks the power to dominate the paint and is not a good enough perimeter shooter to do so from the outside. She is a finess opportunist who relies on open lanes.

Reaction Score
I suspected that what she accomplished in her first two years were mostly a result of the players she had around her. As the other poster stated, she is not really a go to scorer, or Batman, but rather a Robin. The focus on the other players really opened things up for her.

Part of the problem IMO is Baylor is not utilizing her properly. She is not some low post banger, that is not her game at all but that is how Kim has used her so far.

They are using her this year much differently than her first two years where she played off the bounce. I suspect if they get back to that, she would be much more efficient.

But the issue is also that Baylor is struggling for scorers at times that she tries to do way too much. Just my two cents, she has been pretty lazy this year. Not hustling on plays and the intensity isn't there at all. She gives up on plays too much and has been pretty poor defensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t know what’s wrong with her! She’s actually a good shooter. She’s made some 3’s her freshman and sophomore year! I wish Aquira Decosta would’ve stayed.

Bickle has made a grand total of 9 3pt fgs in her freshman and sophomore seasons combined, she shot .27% from 3 pt range last year, I wouldn't exactly define her as a "good shooter".

Reaction Score
Baylor, much like SC, is completely lacking any weapons that make can you pay from the outside. They have been exposed early in the season and good coaches will most likely pack in a zone against them, take away the paint, and force Baylor/SC to beat them from the outside.

Reaction Score
Where did you hear that's the reason Slocum left? I don't believe that's accurate.
It was a major point of discussion on the Oregon St fan forum. She likes to look for drives off the dribble where as the Oregon St. System has always had excellent shooters who required ball movement for them to flurish. The offense at Arkansas was more to her liking. What made it worse was that both her and Pivec liked to work with the ball and when they were on the floor together the entire focus was on creating off the dribble. Slocum played Scotts way for half the season but in the latter half she resorted to doing her thing.

Reaction Score
Baylor, much like SC, is completely lacking any weapons that make can you pay from the outside. They have been exposed early in the season and good coaches will most likely pack in a zone against them, take away the paint, and force Baylor/SC to beat them from the outside.
I also did not see that they could guard the paint like their teams had done in the past. Arkansas scores on drives were entirely too easly. Its not like the Razorbacks killed them with their outside shots. They drove around their guards at will and there was no Brown or Cox to guard the paint.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was a major point of discussion on the Oregon St fan forum. She likes to look for drives off the dribble where as the Oregon St. System has always had excellent shooters who required ball movement for them to flurish. The offense at Arkansas was more to her liking. What made it worse was that both her and Pivec liked to work with the ball and when they were on the floor together the entire focus was on creating off the dribble. Slocum played Scotts way for half the season but in the latter half she resorted to doing her thing.
So these were just fans speculating on a fan board, not actual inside info.

Reaction Score

Iowa State tried that strategy today and got lit up. SC went 13 for 26 from the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
So these were just fans speculating on a fan board, not actual inside info.
The speculation came as a result of watching Slocums minutes during her first active season. Scott would pull her when she did not play his style and she was often on the bench at crunch time. Do you believe that anyone envolved with any program would actually state why any of their players transfer? It is always left to speculation. However, anyone who followed the program could get a hint based on what transpired the last two years. I actually thought she might transfer last season. Of course some might believe it was as the announcers stated and she was just waiting for the right time to get back with her original choice. Actually based on what happened her Jr season I sort of expected she might have transfered right after her first season was over.

d

Reaction Score
SC as a team has shot 37% from beyond 3 on 70 attempts this year so we are much better than that one game you watched. We prefer to get the ball inside or score in transition but we can shoot the 3 if we have to. The starting backcourt has hit 16 out of 35 3s attempted(46%). So go ahead and leave them open.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
No idea if that's why she transferred, but that very much describes the trajectory of her season, the reason why she and Pivec were less than the sum of their parts, and why she is, superficially, a much more obvious fit for Arkansas. Circus shots, hopes, prayers, and getting to the line.

Reaction Score
Absolutely right on Smith and Egbo. Nalyssa is at her best off the bounce, in transition and off offensive rebounds. Queen has legit low post moves, especially against undersized or slow defenders. Too often they seem to do it backwards, with Queen in the high post and Nalyssa trying to post up like Kalani Brown. I think it would be a mistake to run the offense with Smith as the primary option in the half court. Queen is better suited to that role. There will still be plenty of opportunity for Nalyssa to make plays like she did the last 2 years.

I feel like Didi is a decent PG but I feel like it takes away from what she does well off the ball. Ideally, I think the best potential lineup should be Andrews, Carrington, Didi, Smith and Ebgo. That way everyone is in their natural position and you have a great scoring option off the bench in Moon ursin. I think Kim should bite the bullet and give Andrews more minutes moving forward. Trinity is a great kid but is in over her head as a starter and I don't think Moon is assertive enough overall on both ends of the floor to be a full time starter.

Like I stated earlier, Baylor is using Smith and Egbo the wrong way. Its almost like Kim is playing them like Cox/Brown except they are very different players. Smith should not be playing with her back to the basket in the low post. Egbo should not be all the way out at the top of the key, she is your true low post player but the issue with Queen (despite how crazy talented she is), is that she is fundamentally unsound which leads to foul trouble very often for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom