30,000+ applications for 3,000 slots | Page 3 | The Boneyard

30,000+ applications for 3,000 slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm the old fart who graduated in 1970. Total costs for the entire year were around 2K. That included books, room & board, plus tuition. My daughter graduated from Fordham in 1999 and it cost around 27K then. It's around 50K now.
Gads, have times changed.

Reaction Score
I'm the old fart who graduated in 1970. Total costs for the entire year were around 2K. That included books, room & board, plus tuition. My daughter graduated from Fordham in 1999 and it cost around 27K then. It's around 50K now.
Gads, have times changed.

Ah, the days of the GI Bill.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son is starting to look at colleges. Given his grades (4.0+ GPA) and class standing (top 6%), he's being encouraged to apply to the Most Competitive colleges (he's looking at MIT, RPI and Brown) and Highly Competitive colleges (UConn, WPI and Northeastern). The guidance counselor suggested he pick a safety school, too, as UConn is not a safety school, even for a kid like my son.

Reaction Score
My son is starting to look at colleges. Given his grades (4.0+ GPA) and class standing (top 6%), he's being encouraged to apply to the Most Competitive colleges (he's looking at MIT, RPI and Brown) and Highly Competitive colleges (UConn, WPI and Northeastern). The guidance counselor suggested he pick a safety school, too, as UConn is not a safety school, even for a kid like my son.

Curious what is your son looking to study in college? Seems engineering focused.

Reaction Score
The guidance counselor suggested he pick a safety school, too, as UConn is not a safety school

Jerome Junior would also attest that UConn is not a Safety school! Hey Nan, how did you get your son to apply to such close proximity schools? Mine had wanderlust.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Curious what is your son looking to study in college? Seems engineering focused.
Yes, engineering. Not sitting in a cubicle designing something then sending it off site to be built, he wants to be hands-on. He's thinking being a test or prototype engineer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey Nan, how did you get your son to apply to such close proximity schools? Mine had wanderlust.
He wants to stay close to home, I suspect so that he can come home on weekends and get his laundry done for him. He's no dummy.

Reaction Score
lol @ get his laundry done for him. I've been doing my own since my freshman year in college!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
lol @ get his laundry done for him. I've been doing my own since my freshman year in college!
I taught my son how to bake, how to shop wisely, how to create a resume and how to appreciate the finer points of a beautifully executed pick-and-roll. My husband taught him how to fish and how to pretend he doesn't know how to do housework.

Reaction Score
Interesting. It seems like he's already thought this through. As an RPI alum and parent of an MIT student I wish him well with both schools. Personally, I'd replace Brown with Cornell for a high quality Ivy League engineering school but perhaps the former has a particular program that he's interested in. His highly competitive list are all excellent schools as well and provide pretty good diversity (from small, focused engineering school; to large urban university with an excellent co-op program; to a large public university with a greater breadth of offerings). Best of luck to him in finding the right match.

However, I notice one school that is conspicuous by its absence - a small technical university just a bit beyond the edge of civilization in the great white north that features a hockey team in green and gold. You couldn't get him to consider dear old mom's alma mater and the charms of beautiful downtown Potsdam?

Reaction Score
Yes, engineering. Not sitting in a cubicle designing something then sending it off site to be built, he wants to be hands-on. He's thinking being a test or prototype engineer.

My daughter has is a CE from WPI. Her sister's boyfriend is working on his PHd in CE/Robotics. Very good school. A lot of programs with hands on work. I have seen some of the labs for mechanical engineering first hand. The IQP and MQP can be structured to add even more hands on depending what you want to do.

My daughter went from being one of the more geeky kids in her High School to one of the least geeky kids at WPI. She went from feeling a little outcast to being among a majority who were like her. A lot of kids at WPI who will never know what a pick-and-roll is, nor care.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
However, I notice one school that is conspicuous by its absence - a small technical university just a bit beyond the edge of civilization in the great white north that features a hockey team in green and gold. You couldn't get him to consider dear old mom's alma mater and the charms of beautiful downtown Potsdam?
Clarkson is wrong for my son for the same reason it was wrong for me - too far from home and too isolated. The only things to do up at Clarkson outside of classes was go to frat beer blasts, attend hockey games, cajole someone into driving me up to Montreal or watch curling on Canadian TV. I was also dismayed to see Clarkson listed as third tier in competitive schools - a safety school for my son.

Reaction Score
Clarkson is wrong for my son for the same reason it was wrong for me - too far from home and too isolated. The only things to do up at Clarkson outside of classes was go to frat beer blasts, attend hockey games, cajole someone into driving me up to Montreal or watch curling on Canadian TV. I was also dismayed to see Clarkson listed as third tier in competitive schools - a safety school for my son.

Wow. That sounds a lot like what we used to say about Clarkson and Potsdam when I was at RPI. Of course, they enjoyed making fun of Troy too. In general though, based on how you've described your son and assuming he gets test scores to match, it really would be a safety school for him. From the schools you listed I'd expect him to get into RPI, WPI, Northeastern and UConn (no guarantees for any of them, of course, since they are all very competitive) and have a legitimate chance to compete at the others - which is all anyone beyond a handful of Math and Physics Olympiad winners can claim. The acceptance rates are very low, but he's clearly qualified and you never know how his application might strike a handful of people on an admissions committee. Tell him to not be afraid to show who he really is on the applications and hope that when the committee is going through the process of assembling a diverse, but qualified class that they see how he can fit into the mosaic they are creating. Although they are putting together a student body for technical programs, admissions is as much of an art as it is a science.

A few other things that might be relevant and helpful:

1) I think engineering programs are moving back towards a more hands on approach. When I was in school it was more classroom oriented, but it produced a generation of engineers with less experience actually putting things together and learning how they work on the ground rather than in theory. There seems to be greater push for students to get into projects, research labs or industry to get that experience early. As Hank noted, WPI has always been known for a sort of hands on approach and Northeastern has built its name on the co-op program. However, schools like RPI and MIT also provide tremendous opportunities to engage in research and hands on work. In fact, at MIT there is so much research money floating around that almost any student that wants to engage in sponsored research under the UROP program can do so simply by asking. My daughter also did a summer research program at UConn and found a lot of interesting work going on in the engineering school there are well. Your son is very fortunate to have the skills and interest to fit into these trends.

2) I had a deal with my daughter that she could apply anywhere she wanted as long as UConn was on the list and then we'd see how the financial aspects played out. Generally, the better the perceived quality of the school/size of the endowment, the deeper the financial aid pockets, but there are exceptions. Not surprisingly, UConn would have been the cheapest option, but top tier schools offered the best need-based aid packages. Yale, which is putting a lot of money into engineering, has incredible financial aid. MIT followed not far behind. However, schools like RPI and WPI have performance-based aid that can close the gap. Your son should look into some of WPI's named scholarships - they can be quite lucrative. RPI offers the RPI Medal through many high schools. It goes to the top math/science student in the junior class and it's worth $15K/yr for 4 years. The high school makes the decision. My daughter got it at her school primarily because she asked for it since she was considering RPI. Most schools have a number of awards they can give their top students, but if a kid expresses an interest in one that carries a scholarship and just might use it (as opposed to giving it to someone that just sees it as another award to stockpile) then that may sway the decision. The school will probably be sending in their selection soon so if he's a junior he shouldn't be afraid to ask.

3) Although engineering students are certainly more geeky than most, every school on his list provides a number of non-geeky pursuits as well. We went to an admissions event for one top tier engineering school that basically bragged about how over the top geeky it was. My daughter, who like Hank's daughter recognized her geeky side, was still turned off by it. She said, "I may be part geek, but that's not all there is to me and I don't want to go somewhere that has that attitude." I thought that was very wise of her. She's having a great time participating in MIT's student run dance troupe and activities through her sorority and dorm. Having an engineering school background I'm sure you know this, but make sure your son is comfortable with what the school can provide for the rest of his interests - athletic, artistic, social, etc.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up. He's ahead of the curve.

Reaction Score
My son is a senior at Holy Cross. His first day at school was so different than my daughters first day at WPI. At Holy Cross kids have one laptop and one printer and are not quite sure how to connect them. At WPI kids are trying to move in Server farms and questioning how much power the eight plugs in the room will support.

At UConn and Northeastern the engineering students are just a segment of the population on campus. Both also offer Division 1 sports. At WPI you have a small collection of non engineering kids but they are far from being the majority. They do offer a wide range of outside pursuits from sports to dance to music to acting etc. Some of the music programs are pretty good as so many of the gifted engineers have talents that translate well to music.

Unfortunately the decision often comes down to the total financial package. I know WPI is very aggressive going after the top kids. They are often even more aggressive with girls as they want to try to balance the ratios.

Holy Cross and WPI are about equidistant from my home. It is very nice having a 15 minute drive to drop them off and pick them up. My son's girlfriend is from the Philly area. I feel bad for her father and all the driving he has to do getting his daughter to school.

Reaction Score
At UConn and Northeastern the engineering students are just a segment of the population on campus. Both also offer Division 1 sports.

As a UConn Eng alum, I think this is a huge positive for the school... UConn SoE offers high quality academics and many opportunities for students, but almost as important in my time at UConn was the time spent with non-engineers doing non-engineery things. I think that sometimes engineers can be rather myopic in their view of things, and that being surrounded by other students engaged in studies removed from engineering leads to the ability to see things in multiple ways, and a more well-rounded experience, which will serve anyone well after graduation.

Plus, I think bball games and trips (including Tampa for the '99 Final Four) were (and still are) a great counter balance for long days + nights in the lab/office.

Lastly, after lurking for months on this board, I can't believe my first comment is about engineering. SMH.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I taught my son how to bake, how to shop wisely, how to create a resume and how to appreciate the finer points of a beautifully executed pick-and-roll. My husband taught him how to fish and how to pretend he doesn't know how to do housework.
lol....keep the husband away from him!

Reaction Score
At UConn and Northeastern the engineering students are just a segment of the population on campus. Both also offer Division 1 sports.
Difference is, NU D1 sports are terrible, though it being a Beanpot school gives them one, sometimes two Mondays in February that are like none other. Go up Mass Ave, make a left, and you'll find better D1 sports! And a far better shot at two meaningful Mondays in February!

Reaction Score
My daughter has is a CE from WPI. Her sister's boyfriend is working on his PHd in CE/Robotics. Very good school. A lot of programs with hands on work. I have seen some of the labs for mechanical engineering first hand. The IQP and MQP can be structured to add even more hands on depending what you want to do.

My daughter went from being one of the more geeky kids in her High School to one of the least geeky kids at WPI. She went from feeling a little outcast to being among a majority who were like her. A lot of kids at WPI who will never know what a pick-and-roll is, nor care.

Growing up in CT and going to school near Boston, didn't think living in outside Worcsester would be in my future. Lived here for almost 10 years. Great to see the cranes working again in Worcester. Between the new city sqare project, the mass college of pharmacy expansion, and WPI's investments in their bio-tech park and on campus, feels like Worcester has a lot going on right now.

Reaction Score

Glad to hear your daughter has found a great fit at WPI! As a WPI alum, your highlighting of the IQP and MQP warms my heart.

Reaction Score
Growing up in CT and going to school near Boston, didn't think living in outside Worcsester would be in my future. Lived here for almost 10 years. Great to see the cranes working again in Worcester. Between the new city sqare project, the mass college of pharmacy expansion, and WPI's investments in their bio-tech park and on campus, feels like Worcester has a lot going on right now.
Very well said about Worcester. I loved my WPI experience (Class of '94) and that place, and Worcester in general, has expanded by leaps and bounds since that time.

Reaction Score
i went to fp. was 9k at start and ended just over 10k my 4 years there. but i had a nice little ship.
wneu was really good compared to the #'s from qu//shu thank god. it was where i could play baseball for me otherwise storrs was the pick.

what i want to know is what were the #'s for uconn the past couple years. how many more are there and if its a big move then the rankings prob get higher next year hugh? uconn on da rise...
Thanks for ending our run(endicott) last spring.

Reaction Score
Difference is, NU D1 sports are terrible, though it being a Beanpot school gives them one, sometimes two Mondays in February that are like none other. Go up Mass Ave, make a left, and you'll find better D1 sports! And a far better shot at two meaningful Mondays in February!
For one school on Commonwealth Avenue it has been extremely meaningful for the past three years!

Reaction Score
I have lived here for 26 years. Last place I ever expected to end up living. Great city that does not get as much good press as it should. Great Schools, restaurants and entertainment. Hanover Theater is a magnificent venue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom