30,000+ applications for 3,000 slots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

30,000+ applications for 3,000 slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, something is wrong here. Only a percentage of students whom you accept actually come. If the class is about 3200, even allowing for other factors they would presumably have to admit at least 5000 students, wouldn't they?

Even Harvard and Yale don't assume everyone admitted comes.

Reaction Score
No, something is wrong here. Only a percentage of students whom you accept actually come. If the class is about 3200, even allowing for other factors they would presumably have to admit at least 5000 students, wouldn't they?

They'd need to admit double, but I think the figure may be right. It says 30,000 apps for 3,000 slots, not 30,000 apps and only 3,000 admitted. BCU is the only school in the country that twists that fact into: less than 10% of applicants come to BC! I hear it all the time from students. BCs admit rate in in the 30% range, so that means they admit 3x as many as their open slots.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I took my two cousins (from Boston area) on road trips to some colleges in New England. The older of the two visited Quinnipiac, UConn, Stonehill, Providence, UMass-Dartmouth, Bridgewater St, URI, BU and Northeastern among others. They both liked UConn best. She hasn't heard from UConn yet, but much of her decision hinges on grant/scholarships and final cost per year. I am curious as to whether she'll get into BU vs UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn's most recent Common Data Set (as the name implies a form with common data published by most major colleges and universities) was for the '10-'11 year. For the class that entered in the fall of 2010 there were 22, 142 applications, 11, 949 acceptances (54% acceptance rate)and 3,339 students enrolled (28% yield). If applications are at 30,000 this year (continuing a rapid growth rate), UConn will be moving toward the most highly selective public universities. It won't be in the range of UVa, UNC or Berkeley (30% or less acceptance rates), but it's gaining ground fast.

Reaction Score
Went to the Fast Facts page mentioned above to get a little color and frankly was surprised to see that 75% of undergraduates on the Storrs campus are from CT. The reason for my surprise is that a couple of weeks ago there was article in the local paper that mentioned out of state students undergraduates now outnumber AL students on the Tuscaloosa campus. I would have thought UConn would have geographic reach on a par with BAMA, at least in the northeast. Really shocked that the undergraduate population is so local.

Reaction Score
Went to the Fast Facts page mentioned above to get a little color and frankly was surprised to see that 75% of undergraduates on the Storrs campus are from CT. The reason for my surprise is that a couple of weeks ago there was article in the local paper that mentioned out of state students undergraduates now outnumber AL students on the Tuscaloosa campus. I would have thought UConn would have geographic reach on a par with BAMA, at least in the northeast. Really shocked that the undergraduate population is so local.

What's happening at Alabama is a sign of weakness, not of strength. The more local students you retain, assuming the scores are equal, the more commitment there is to higher education in that state. Schools that have very high out-of-state populations are likely in need of money and can squeeze out a profit from out-of-staters. This dynamic doesn't hold true at the best state schools where the cost per student (sometimes higher than $30k) far exceeds tuition. This literally means that such schools would lose money even on out-of-staters. State schools should serve their constituents as best they can.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Kids in Georgia go to Alabama because they can't get into UGA.

Reaction Score
What's happening at Alabama is a sign of weakness, not of strength. The more local students you retain, assuming the scores are equal, the more commitment there is to higher education in that state. Schools that have very high out-of-state populations are likely in need of money and can squeeze out a profit from out-of-staters. This dynamic doesn't hold true at the best state schools where the cost per student (sometimes higher than $30k) far exceeds tuition. This literally means that such schools would lose money even on out-of-staters. State schools should serve their constituents as best they can.
Hum, lets see the cost of instate tuition at Tuscaloosa is $8,600 and out of state is 21,000. The cost of instate tuition at Storrs is $8,300 and out of state is 25,000 but somehow the fact that Bama has half of their 20,000 undergraduates paying the higher figure is a sign of "weakness". The taxpayers of CT should pray for such "weakness".

Reaction Score
Perhaps the 3k number represents the apps to the Storrs Campus and does not include the branches?

Reaction Score
'Bama's President is from Fairfield I believe and he has made a big effort to get more students from out of state, particularly the Northeast.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Hum, lets see the cost of instate tuition at Tuscaloosa is $8,600 and out of state is 21,000. The cost of instate tuition at Storrs is $8,300 and out of state is 25,000 but somehow the fact that Bama has half of their 20,000 undergraduates paying the higher figure is a sign of "weakness". The taxpayers of CT should pray for such "weakness".

Just to summarize - you believe not providing our own students access to a well respected university is a sign of weakness and that a ~$50K investment to yield local leaders who help run and maintain top companies like UTC, GE, Travelers, etc within the state is a bad idea? Just to check your consistentcy, as a taxpayer would you support putting up tolls on all state roads and not allowing locals to use them because that too would make fiduciary sense?

Reaction Score

You have to look at it relative to cost-per-student.

If the cost-per-student at Alabama is $11,000 and $25,000 at UConn, then yes it's a sign of weakness. It signals that Alabama needs the profit (i.e. $21,000 OOS - $11,000 CPS) to fund the subsidy ($2,400) for in-state students. That not only means you have fewer state residents receiving a top notch education (which impacts the tax base) but it also means your school is desperate for sources of funding. Typically, schools with great endowments, lots of research grants, patents and licenses, think of tuition as a minor part of the budget (at some schools it's below 20%). So, these schools are working from a position of strength to service the educations of the top in-state students.

The logic is the same for private schools with very high international populations. You charge international students a premium to fund operations.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree ... 3,000 does seem a little low. 17,800 total undergrads on the main campus and they would only allow for 3000 next fall? I think the number should be closer to 5,000.

I think this is starting to shed some light on what many people (including Susan Herbst) are complaining about lately: students are finding it difficult to finish "4-year" degrees in less than 5 years. Hard times finding availability for classes, since there are often not enough teachers to cover all of the classes needed. Herbst has been asking for a big boost from CT for funding for new teachers to fix the problem. So if people aren't leaving campus until 5+ years, we can't accept more than 3,000 students / year.

It was a little bit of a problem when I was there in the mid 90's (for the first year, we still had to fill out bubble sheets in Wood Hall and pray we got the classes), but it sounds like it's getting even tougher now...

Reaction Score
I believe the common data set for the fall of 2011 will be out in a few weeks.

That will show the current freshman class had an admission rate of 49%, so about 5% points lower than the 2010 class. There was a noticeable jump in admissions, due to in part the use of the common application.

One statistic which I'm sure President Herbst will be focused on is the 50% SAT. This remained relatively static in spite of the increased selectivity. Of course the average SAT is still much higher than just a few years ago, as well as largely maintaining an upward trajectory. UConn has a new admissions director. We'll see how UConn fares in the next few years with respect to Herbst goal of making UConn more like a UNC, UVa, Michigan...the top publics.

Compared to our New England peers, and Rutgers, both objectively and perception wise UConn is well positioned to retain the distinction of being the top public in the northeast.

Reaction Score

Yes

Reaction Score
Branches? Other incoming transfers? Actual admitted Storrs' applicants?

3,000 Storrs' slots (not admitted students, just available Storrs slots) + incoming students from (1) branches and (2) transfers appears to make some sense. Knowing some kids will not opt to go to THE UConn campus, more than 3K will most likely be admitted to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Just to summarize - you believe not providing our own students access to a well respected university is a sign of weakness and that a ~$50K investment to yield local leaders who help run and maintain top companies like UTC, GE, Travelers, etc within the state is a bad idea? Just to check your consistentcy, as a taxpayer would you support putting up tolls on all state roads and not allowing locals to use them because that too would make fiduciary sense?
I re-read my post and darned if I can find anyplace where I said anything about relative access. Remember the UA system also has schools in Birmingham and Huntsville both of which have over 12,000 undergrads. In addition the Auburn system has 25,000 so even without counting junior colleges access is not an issue. With regard to UTC, GE, TRV don't know how many of their top managers were Uconn undergrads, do you? Finally I have no idea where your toll road analogy is going. For the record I don't think that AL has ever built an interstate toll road, I could be wrong since I only moved here from CT in the mid 80's.

Reaction Score
You have to look at it relative to cost-per-student.

If the cost-per-student at Alabama is $11,000 and $25,000 at UConn, then yes it's a sign of weakness. It signals that Alabama needs the profit (i.e. $21,000 OOS - $11,000 CPS) to fund the subsidy ($2,400) for in-state students. That not only means you have fewer state residents receiving a top notch education (which impacts the tax base) but it also means your school is desperate for sources of funding. Typically, schools with great endowments, lots of research grants, patents and licenses, think of tuition as a minor part of the budget (at some schools it's below 20%). So, these schools are working from a position of strength to service the educations of the top in-state students.
Before you push some of these points too far you better check the size of endowments and funded research for UA and UConn. Let us know what you find.

The logic is the same for private schools with very high international populations. You charge international students a premium to fund operations.[/quote

Before you push some of these points too hard you should check the endowments and funded research of UA and UConn. let us know what you find.

Reaction Score
i'm confused. isn't the class of 2016 the class that entered this past fall? if so, the applicant number as reported by the school and the wall street journal was just over 28,000, admitted was ~3300. was dez referring to the 2017 class that likely closes in ~ a month?

Reaction Score
disregard. it has been a long day at work. it's 2012, isn't it...

Reaction Score
I took my two cousins (from Boston area) on road trips to some colleges in New England. The older of the two visited Quinnipiac, UConn, Stonehill, Providence, UMass-Dartmouth, Bridgewater St, URI, BU and Northeastern among others. They both liked UConn best. She hasn't heard from UConn yet, but much of her decision hinges on grant/scholarships and final cost per year. I am curious as to whether she'll get into BU vs UConn.
I'm a recent ('09) BU grad, if she does get into BU and has any questions at all, I'd be happy to answer.

Reaction Score

What would that prove? We're talking Alabama here, they don't subsidize much.

University of Alabama budget was $683 million, half came from tuition. That's very high. Total cost per student was $21,000.

UConn, on the other hand, is at $1.1 billion, $42,000 cost per student. Rate of support from the state: 30%. Tuition is at 25%.

That's a huge difference between the two schools.

Alabama has a $600m endowment, UConn is $300m. At a generous 5% interest, that's only a difference of $15 million a year or about $500 per student.

Reaction Score
I think this is starting to shed some light on what many people (including Susan Herbst) are complaining about lately: students are finding it difficult to finish "4-year" degrees in less than 5 years. Hard times finding availability for classes, since there are often not enough teachers to cover all of the classes needed. Herbst has been asking for a big boost from CT for funding for new teachers to fix the problem. So if people aren't leaving campus until 5+ years, we can't accept more than 3,000 students / year.

It was a little bit of a problem when I was there in the mid 90's (for the first year, we still had to fill out bubble sheets in Wood Hall and pray we got the classes), but it sounds like it's getting even tougher now...

I just saw this stat when looking up UConn's budget. Over the last 15 years, there's a 52% increase in students, and a 12% increase in faculty.

Reaction Score
The student/faculty ratio is the first priority of Herbst. She has said as much. If additional profesors can't be hired, then the cap in enrollment which is in place now will be reduced further.

As for OOS students, I think it's university dependent of the proper ratio. 1/3 of UConn freshmen at the Storrs campus are OOS. That seems to be the sweet spot that UConn has settled on. That's the model at UVa, UNC (20-30%) The UC schools are going to that model, after historically limiting OOS to 10%. But the lure of foreign student money is too much for them to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom