3 Scholarships For Next Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

3 Scholarships For Next Year

Reaction Score
Richie has four more years of eligibility after this season. The NCAA granted winter sport athletes an additional year of college athletic eligibility as a result of the COVID disruption in the 2020-2021 scheduling of games and its impact on the starts and stops of certain teams/athletes seasons. This is also why you do not see any redshirt activity this season since it's a "free" year re; athletic eligibility.

There is an additional disruption this year re: the ability of CBB players to enter the transfer portal without having to sit out a year as in years past. This new dynamic will impact how coaches recruit and build their rosters and how fluid athlete's movements among different BB programs will become and the impact in the grad transfer market as well.

Most BYers are already aware of these developments and is why the discussions about the future plans of our seniors Whaley/Polley/Carlton are discussed so frequently and why the future decision of BA is of interest re: the potential to open up a third scholarship for 2021. Since BA was acknowledged on Senior Night it is a possibility that this was his/UConn's way of suggesting he may choose to exit the Program after graduating in 3 years.. No public disclosures have been made by he and his family at this time as to his specific plans. Additionally, this is why Javonte Brown was able to transfer within the season without any concern about the effect it would have on his eligibility at his new landing spot.
Should probably just pin this to save precious future BY time

Reaction Score
Richie has four more years of eligibility after this season. The NCAA granted winter sport athletes an additional year of college athletic eligibility as a result of the COVID disruption in the 2020-2021 scheduling of games and its impact on the starts and stops of certain teams/athletes seasons. This is also why you do not see any redshirt activity this season since it's a "free" year re; athletic eligibility.

There is an additional disruption this year re: the ability of CBB players to enter the transfer portal without having to sit out a year as in years past. This new dynamic will impact how coaches recruit and build their rosters and how fluid athlete's movements among different BB programs will become and the impact in the grad transfer market as well.

Most BYers are already aware of these developments and is why the discussions about the future plans of our seniors Whaley/Polley/Carlton are discussed so frequently and why the future decision of BA is of interest re: the potential to open up a third scholarship for 2021. Since BA was acknowledged on Senior Night it is a possibility that this was his/UConn's way of suggesting he may choose to exit the Program after graduating in 3 years.. No public disclosures have been made by he and his family at this time as to his specific plans. Additionally, this is why Javonte Brown was able to transfer within the season without any concern about the effect it would have on his eligibility at his new landing spot.
The thing you have to keep in mind with this is that anyone who stays the extra year that's an underclassman is taking a scholarship away from a freshman. Not an issue if one or 2 end up doing it but you can't have too many stay otherwise the roster starts to get really imbalanced. With the seniors it's a no brainer to accept any of them back, after that I think it's a much tougher decision

Reaction Score
I, too, believe that Hurley should bring in a lottery pick transfer.
c'mon i mean a W capable of getting his own shot not a lotto pick... since when are comparisons taken so literally? by bouk replacement did you think for a second i meant we have to clone him?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the seniors it's a no brainer to accept any of them back, after that I think it's a much tougher decision
are we sure it's a no brainer? there are pros and cons of having 16 guys fighting for playing time

Reaction Score
are we sure it's a no brainer? there are pros and cons of having 16 guys fighting for playing time
Individually yes, not all 3 though. 16 is tough to make work even if you're taking guys to sit out with the open scholarships

Reaction Score
The thing you have to keep in mind with this is that anyone who stays the extra year that's an underclassman is taking a scholarship away from a freshman. Not an issue if one or 2 end up doing it but you can't have too many stay otherwise the roster starts to get really imbalanced. With the seniors it's a no brainer to accept any of them back, after that I think it's a much tougher decision
No question about it. A huge challenge for DH/staff re: roster construction and not trying to inhibit the growth of new recruits.

I believe that one of DH's themes on the recruiting trail for new recruits and targets has been PT/minutes. So you have to balance that position with roster needs and growth of your younger players.

Clearly we're focused on the BET and the Tournament in the short term but if you're a prospective 2021 or 2022 recruit as our roster is currently constructed. The opportunity for minutes would appear to be there. Will be quite interesting in the off season for our next two seasons re:recruiting.

I trust the Carpenter.

Reaction Score
No question about it. A huge challenge for DH/staff re: roster construction and not trying to inhibit the growth of new recruits.

I believe that one of DH's themes on the recruiting trail for new recruits and targets has been PT/minutes. So you have to balance that position with roster needs and growth of your younger players.

Clearly we're focused on the BET and the Tournament in the short term but if you're a prospective 2021 or 2022 recruit as our roster is currently constructed. The opportunity for minutes would appear to be there. Will be quite interesting in the off season for our next two seasons re:recruiting.

I trust the Carpenter.
What needs to be a focus with the additional 3 scholarships is finding good depth options/complementary pieces rather than looking for high impact recruits. Hurley already has high impact freshman coming in, what he needs are players that want to be at UCONN are patient enough to stay for several years and are willing to have supportive roles. That way he can continue to sell the more talented recruits on having available playing time and at the same time will have depth in his roster for multiple years.

Reaction Score
Should probably just pin this to save precious future BY time
There are many more BYers who are more qualified than I --who can/ could post a more articulate characterization about the events of this year.

It appeared that @metsfan 2323 had missed the "memo" on this stuff over the last few months --Just trying to help him out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom