3 Scholarships For Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3 Scholarships For Next Year

Reaction Score
My two cents. As much as I'd like to see IW back next year for roster fit/needs.. At his age and at his current skill level--.Of the three seniors--I believe he has the best chance of making money playing BB next year. Does he want a Masters degree? Don't know.

I also believe JC will wait for IW to make his decision before making his own because I think JC sees redundancy in their roles on next year's team. The Young Bigs will be featured by DH next year and does JC enjoy playing 20 minutes per game.. Don't know.

Tyler Phommachanh is a wild card and really seems to enjoy life at UConn and provides a unique skill set for next year's roster as a sniper off the bench. AJ/JH/TM will be looking for PT.. Is Tyler Phommachanh ok in that role? Could see him staying to improve his chances to make money overseas after another great season next year.

If BA chooses to move on I could easily see him getting his MBA somewhere where he could be a contributor on the floor while enhancing his future professional opportunities. PT at his position on next year's team will be competitive.

All speculation on my part and am looking forward to these guys contributing to and enjoying a deep run in the Tournament after a BET title this year.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where is 3 coming from? Assuming Adams transfers? We have 3 freshmen coming in, and 3 guys graduating. So that leaves the Brown scholarship and an expected Bouk departure for the NBA.

My choices for the two would be an immediately eligible big and a small forward type who can defend and shoot.

Reaction Score
Where is 3 coming from? Assuming Adams transfers? We have 3 freshmen coming in, and 3 guys graduating. So that leaves the Brown scholarship and an expected Bouk departure for the NBA.

My choices for the two would be an immediately eligible big and a small forward type who can defend and shoot.

People are expecting Adams to leave because he was honored on senior day.

Reaction Score
1. A first big-man off the bench. Someone with some footspeed that can defend the perimeter against the more mobile bigs that Sanogo has trouble with would be nice.

2. Shooters. Shooters. Shooters. Shooters. Ideally with size.

3. If there is a 1v1 shot creator that can replace Bouk, they should also be a priority, but I think it's fair to say that those guys are tough to come by and we shouldn't expect it.

There should be a bevy of transfers available this year. 1 grad and 1 transfer with 2+ years of eligibility would be nice--avoid alienating any potential 2022 recruits. I wouldn't mind a big-time 2022 reclass either.

Reaction Score
1. A first big-man off the bench. Someone with some footspeed that can defend the perimeter against the more mobile bigs that Sanogo has trouble with would be nice.

2. Shooters. Shooters. Shooters. Shooters. Ideally with size.

3. If there is a 1v1 shot creator that can replace Bouk, they should also be a priority, but I think it's fair to say that those guys are tough to come by and we shouldn't expect it.

There should be a bevy of transfers available this year. 1 grad and 1 transfer with 2+ years of eligibility would be nice--avoid alienating any potential 2022 recruits. I wouldn't mind a big-time 2022 reclass either.
AKA Tyler Polley lol(regarding #2)

Reaction Score
I think Hawk is going to start. Maybe not right away. But he’ll be on a similar trajectory as Bouk was as a freshman. He’s a college ready 2 guard.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the freshmen work their way into the starting lineup.

But in December, that's what you're going to see. And either way, we need more shooters off the bench to replace what we're losing with Bouknight and Polley.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the freshmen work their way into the starting lineup.

But in December, that's what you're going to see. And either way, we need more shooters off the bench to replace what we're losing with Bouknight and Polley.
From the videos i’ve seen, Hawkins lives up to the “baby Ray” nickname from 3. He has a really nice shot form. I think he will help fill a lot of the scoring void we will lose from Bouk leaving.

Reaction Score

Being the first FULL season with no waivers is gonna mean lots of available transfers

Reaction Score
What if, for whatever reason Bouk decides to come back - then we are preseason Top 5 all day long. I'm just saying you never know, you never know. ?

Reaction Score
Our starting lineup next year is most likely:

Cole, Jackson, Martin, Sanogo, and either Akok (big) or Gaffney (small), with the 3 freshmen and Springs rounding out the bench.

1) We definitely need a shooter, and I'd prefer one who's more of a 2/3 (i.e. can handle the ball a little) than a 3/4 like Polley (who can defend the paint a little).
No worries, Gaff and Jordan Hawkings got this.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Our starting lineup next year is most likely:

Cole, Jackson, Martin, Sanogo, and either Akok (big) or Gaffney (small), with the 3 freshmen and Springs rounding out the bench.

1) We definitely need a shooter, and I'd prefer one who's more of a 2/3 (i.e. can handle the ball a little) than a 3/4 like Polley (who can defend the paint a little).

2) I'd also go for a reliable backup big to replace Carlton/Whaley. Someone who can at least defend and rebound, doesn't need to be a go-to scorer.

3) I'd consider a steady ball-handling guard, like a Craig Austrie type. He'd be behind Gaffney and Diggins on the depth chart, but could run things for 10-15 mpg if needed.
I don’t necessarily agree with this starting lineup. This leaves us with 1 perimeter piece that can shoot. Akok has not shown that he can rebound and efficiently score yet. We significantly improved without him. I love the kid and would love nothing more than to see him succeed but he has a lot to prove and overcoming an Achilles rupture when quick leaping is your edge is really hard. I like playing Jackson and Martin together at the forward spots with a shooter at the 2. So Hawk, or a transfer starting alongside Cole. Obviously Whaley returning is also a possibility here as well. If that’s the case I think there’s a chance that Martin comes off the bench.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Whalley should come back- he’s been terrific the last two seasons - perfect role player that continues to get better

Reaction Score
whaley obviously has the best chance of making money somewhere next year so hypothetically speaking, lets just say polley and carlton come back...does Hurley then only fill 1 of the 3 open schollys?

9/10 guys max can be part of the rotation so why bring in more than 13 scholarship players when all 13 guys on the roster will be deserving of minutes as is?

cole/diggins/gaffney
jackson/hawkins
martin/polley
akok/johnson/springs
sanogo/carlton

polley and carlton would fill our 2 biggest needs i.e. a shooter on the wing and backup big man. hurley could go all in on a bouk replacement transfer to be the cherry on top of this top 5 preseason team

if hurley banked 2 schollys and cole and martin graduate next year then we'd have 4 open schollys for 2022, plus floyd. i'd much rather hurley spend all year recruiting 4 more guys for 2022 (including next summers transers) then try and land 3 transfers/reclasses over the summer for 2021

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
whaley obviously has the best chance of making money somewhere next year so hypothetically speaking, lets just say polley and carlton come back...does Hurley then only fill 1 of the 3 open schollys?

9/10 guys max can be part of the rotation so why bring in more than 13 scholarship players when all 13 guys on the roster will be deserving of minutes as is?

cole/diggins/gaffney
jackson/hawkins
martin/polley
akok/johnson/springs
sanogo/carlton

polley and a carlton would fill our 2 biggest needs i.e. a shooter on the wing and backup big man. hurley could go all in on a bouk replacement transfer to be the cherry on top of this top 5 preseason team

if hurley banked 2 schollys and cole and martin graduate next year then we'd have 4 open schollys for 2022, plus floyd. i'd much rather hurley spend all year recruiting 4 more guys for 2022 (including next summers transers) then try and land 3 transfers/reclasses over the summer for 2021
That lineup you provided can not shoot. Hurley does like traditional transfers. With BA gone and Cole a senior I think it’s highly likely we bring on another guard for next year. We would only be rostering 4 guards total, 2 of which are freshman, if we don’t AND team shooting is a glaring weakness. Need like a scoring or combo guard that can shoot. Hurley should sell a big name transfer on being the Bouknight replacement.

Reaction Score
That lineup you provided can not shoot. Hurley does like traditional transfers. With BA gone and Cole a senior I think it’s highly likely we bring on another guard for next year. We would only be rostering 4 guards total, 2 of which are freshman, if we don’t AND team shooting is a glaring weakness. Need like a scoring or combo guard that can shoot. Hurley should sell a big name transfer on being the Bouknight replacement.
so...you agree? i argued hurley should only use 1 of the open schollys but that it should be on a bouk replacement

Reaction Score
so...you agree? i argued hurley should only use 1 of the open schollys but that it should be on a bouk replacement
Keep in mind that both Cole and Martin have two more years of eligibility after this season if interested. For example, if Cole determined that he did not have a future career overseas because of his size, would he consider coming back to Storrs for two more years after this season instead of just one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that both Cole and Martin have two more years of eligibility after this season if interested. For example, if Cole determined that he did not have a future career overseas because of his size, would he consider coming back to Storrs for two more years after this season.

Does it apply to everyone on the team regardless of class? Does Richie Springs still have 4 more years of eligibility after this year? I would expect the quality of college basketball as a whole to be really good the next couple years with so many upperclassmen taking advantage of this extra year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does it apply to everyone on the team regardless of class? Does Richie Springs still have 4 more years of eligibility after this year? I would expect the quality of college basketball as a whole to be really good the next couple years with so many upperclassmen taking advantage of this extra year.
Richie has four more years of eligibility after this season. The NCAA granted winter sport athletes an additional year of college athletic eligibility as a result of the COVID disruption in the 2020-2021 scheduling of games and its impact on the starts and stops of certain teams/athletes seasons. This is also why you do not see any redshirt activity this season since it's a "free" year re; athletic eligibility.

There is an additional disruption this year re: the ability of CBB players to enter the transfer portal without having to sit out a year as in years past. This new dynamic will impact how coaches recruit and build their rosters and how fluid athlete's movements among different BB programs will become and the impact in the grad transfer market as well.

Most BYers are already aware of these developments and is why the discussions about the future plans of our seniors Whaley/Polley/Carlton are discussed so frequently and why the future decision of BA is of interest re: the potential to open up a third scholarship for 2021. Since BA was acknowledged on Senior Night it is a possibility that this was his/UConn's way of suggesting he may choose to exit the Program after graduating in 3 years.. No public disclosures have been made by he and his family at this time as to his specific plans. Additionally, this is why Javonte Brown was able to transfer within the season without any concern about the effect it would have on his eligibility at his new landing spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that both Cole and Martin have two more years of eligibility after this season if interested. For example, if Cole determined that he did not have a future career overseas because of his size, would he consider coming back to Storrs for two more years after this season instead of just one.
and gaffney and akok and springs and sanogo and jackson. altho gaff and springs are the only guys that would prob consider that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom