3 Scholarships For Next Year | The Boneyard

3 Scholarships For Next Year

Reaction Score
What types of players do you guys want to see with the three scholarships we have?

Going to definitely have to dip into the transfer and grad transfer market. I know Hurley and the staff will figure it out, but 3 spots seem like a lot to fill by next season at this time. This is assuming that returning seniors would not count against the scholarship limit if they choose to come back. I would love to see some sort of shooter and maybe a big to make up for the height we are losing with Polley/Whaley/Carlton.

Edit: We definitely have bigger things to worry about with the tourney coming up. Still playing for this year. I just can’t help but wonder.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
What types of players do you guys want to see with the three scholarships we have?

Going to definitely have to dip into the transfer and grad transfer market. I know Hurley and the staff will figure it out, but 3 spots seem like a lot to fill by next season at this time. This is assuming that returning seniors would not count against the scholarship limit if they choose to come back. I would love to see some sort of shooter and maybe a big to make up for the height we are losing with Polley/Whaley/Carlton.
You're on the right track.

Reaction Score
1 big, 1 scoring wing, 1 combo guard

i’m sure there is possibility of reclass in addition to transfers
Totally forgot about the reclass option when making this post. Wondering if CFJ would consider coming a year early.

Reaction Score
In the Georgetown pre game presser, Hurley made a passing reference to 2022 recruiting going well. Throwing in that comment made me hope that the board had a hint to speculate about the 2022 targets going well. Obviously, 2022 would be the source of any potential reclass to 2021 and we could gauge that possibility with the specific player. Our team next year has its core in place. Our need is pieces that could put us over the top. I agree a great scorer/deep shooter and a quality front court player would help the most. I like the Brimah transfer announcing 3/20 but I have no idea if we are really in the mix.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Think how we fare in the BET and NCAAT will also be important as a selling point to grad transfers or other seniors with one year of eligibility left looking to go to a team where they can make a tournament run

Reaction Score
Our starting lineup next year is most likely:

Cole, Jackson, Martin, Sanogo, and either Akok (big) or Gaffney (small), with the 3 freshmen and Springs rounding out the bench.

1) We definitely need a shooter, and I'd prefer one who's more of a 2/3 (i.e. can handle the ball a little) than a 3/4 like Polley (who can defend the paint a little).

2) I'd also go for a reliable backup big to replace Carlton/Whaley. Someone who can at least defend and rebound, doesn't need to be a go-to scorer.

3) I'd consider a steady ball-handling guard, like a Craig Austrie type. He'd be behind Gaffney and Diggins on the depth chart, but could run things for 10-15 mpg if needed.

Reaction Score
I personally like to go 3 deep at every position (obviously with overlap since that's 15 and we have 13 scholarships). This is how I see it right now, a 2/3 who can shoot and a 4/5 to either backup Sanogo or play with him since the 4's below all have question marks going into next year. The 3rd scholarship could go a lot of different directions

PG: Cole, Diggins, Gaffney
SG: Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney, XXX
SF: Martin, Jackson, XXX
PF: Akok, Johnson, Springs
C: Sanogo, XXX, Johnson,

Reaction Score
The transfer market should be crazy this year. Will not be shocked if we pick up 2 regular transfers and then maybe find another incoming freshman or grad transfer. I'd like another big, someone who can hit the 3 reliably (either wing or combo guard) and then whatever the best player is we can find.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Cole, Jackson, Martin, Sanogo, and either Akok (big) or Gaffney (small), with the 3 freshmen and Springs rounding out the bench.

1) We definitely need a shooter, and I'd prefer one who's more of a 2/3 (i.e. can handle the ball a little) than a 3/4 like Polley (who can defend the paint a little).

2) I'd also go for a reliable backup big to replace Carlton/Whaley. Someone who can at least defend and rebound, doesn't need to be a go-to scorer.

3) I'd consider a steady ball-handling guard, like a Craig Austrie type. He'd be behind Gaffney and Diggins on the depth chart, but could run things for 10-15 mpg if needed.
I think Hawk is going to start. Maybe not right away. But he’ll be on a similar trajectory as Bouk was as a freshman. He’s a college ready 2 guard.

Reaction Score
I want all 3 back. JC may not play much with Sanogo, Whaley, and Johnson in the rotation, so I wouldn't blame him if he pursued pro options instead. Who knows what the overseas pro leagues even look like with covid going on - the logistics may not be cleared up by next fall so maybe they all decide to come back and get a free masters degree.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Agree with all of this but..........................need at least one of #1 or #3 to be a lights out shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom