3 huskies selected to espnw AA 1st team [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

3 huskies selected to espnw AA 1st team [merged thread]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that no one talks about her as a high draft pick. I think she has been well coached, is a really good three point shooter, and good tall defender, and understands a team game. She could be a really good pick-up for some team not in the lottery.

In some respects she reminds me of Whalen. Turns out she was pretty good.

Reaction Score
Without prejudice as to relative abilities and value, I think KLS's and Gabby's selection order might depend on the needs of the individual teams. As to Pheesa, I think any team should be drooling at the thought of having her.
But in all 3 cases, that is, as of now! I have a strong feeling the value of all three will increase greatly in the next year or 2 years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would have agreed with you up through the SEC Championship game. I think in that game she finally showed some of the promise that she has. Having Coates to lean on and help cover a portion of the court has stunted her growth, IMO. Next year I expect to see a near Stokes-esque explosion of development from her.
As I said I like A'ja and would love to see your prognosticating come true, however given her system, I am betting against you. And yes, she did play better in that gam, but "a game should not a 1st Team All-American make"

That said, to say I am gobsmacked by KLS and NC being unanimous picks and Gabby getting the nod over the other much more hyped players is awesome!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's obviously a smaller group than the AP writers or WBCA coaches. I didn't find a list, but it's usually some or all of the following WCBB experts from ESPN:

Mechelle Voepel
Kate Fagan
Charlie Creme
Graham Hays
Rebecca Lobo
Kara Lawson

Note that Kelsey, Lou, and Pheesa were unanimous selections.

Only three — Voepel, Hays, and Creme — have been voting on their Player of the Week honors.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ESPNW got it right in naming Collier, Williams and Samuelson. Let's hope the NCAA's AA selection committee follows suite and also selects all three.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Only three — Voepel, Hays, and Creme — have been voting on their Player of the Week honors.

Ah..... only 3 voters voted on these awards :oops:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
ESPNW got it right in naming Collier, Williams and Samuelson. Let's hope the NCAA's AA selection committee follows suite and also selects all three.
The NCAA doesn't have a committee that selects All-Americans. The NCAA selection committee selects and seeds teams for the NCAA tournament.

Perhaps you mean the WBCA, or the AP, or ...?

Reaction Score
Very Impressive. I am happily surprised. I would have thought to push the story of parity, we would max out at 2 on first team and 1 on second team.

On the other hand, I am surprised by Aja Wilson not being unanimous.

On a sadder note, Wilson's 72.2 FG% stat is obviously wrong.
Looking at A'ja Wilson Bio University of South Carolina Official Athletic Site

72.2% is her FT% and her FG% is 58.7%
I'm surprised and disappointed that she (A'ja) made the first team. I agree with others that have posted recently of her not being a top 5 player.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's been being overly critical of A'ja, but while I think she is a very good player, she hasn't "wowed" me in any of the UConn games and even in the 10-12 other SC games I have watched (notably Tenn and Duke) she did not dominate. If anything, I think her rep got her on 1st team when I think Jones from MD deserved 1st team with A'ja getting 2nd team. Look, A'ja is a greater athlete with more upside than Brionna, I just think Brionna had a better year. I also don't think Wilson's game has evolved as much over her 3 years there.
I feel that she would have developed appreciably further, had she come here, assuming she would have put in the work. Her choice!

Reaction Score
What bothers me is if kls doesn't get a poy award this year its going to be tough the next 2yrs if Azura stays for her 4th year.

IMO gabby and nurse will be in the top 5 wnba picks after their senior years. I think chong will be drafted but not on the first round.
Kia will be drafted but I feel it's highly unlikely she'll be a top 5 pick. Late first round or maybe 2nd.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That will certainly save you some money on hate-mail postage ;)

No hate.... especially not for a team that is voted on by 3 people.

Now.... if a certain player is not named to at least one of the AP All-American teams then

Gkr542V.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect they opened it up to a wider group of their contributors/on-air talent since they ended up with a fair number of 'also receiving votes' players - but it is certainly not as wide a universe nor geographically as diverse a group as votes on the standard AA teams and awards. The fact that Lobo was asking if they voted for DPOY suggests she was involved in voting on year end players for some of their awards, and I would think Lawson and Rowe as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't have a committee that selects All-Americans. The NCAA selection committee selects and seeds teams for the NCAA tournament.

Perhaps you mean the WBCA, or the AP, or ...?

Yes, Either or both of those two. Thanks for the correction. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks. It may be only those three for the annual awards. Or, as noted, it could be a larger group. We know it's limited to select ESPN staff. They should have said who the voters were.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia will be drafted but I feel it's highly unlikely she'll be a top 5 pick. Late first round or maybe 2nd.
I think middle of the first round. She's an elite defender and now a stellar shooter. She is off her game a little now because of the injury, but she's a solid player, great teammate, and true Badass.

Reaction Score
The first team members are all truly cool people too. Image how incredible they would be as five on the floor too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom