3 huskies selected to espnw AA 1st team [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3 huskies selected to espnw AA 1st team [merged thread]

Reaction Score
What bothers me is if kls doesn't get a poy award this year its going to be tough the next 2yrs if Azura stays for her 4th year.

IMO gabby and nurse will be in the top 5 wnba picks after their senior years. I think chong will be drafted but not on the first round.

Reaction Score
San Antonio needs a wing, if Diamond didn't declare, I can't see how you could pass on an elite shooter like Lou.
Chicago has question marks all over there front court, why not take a player like Collier?
The Dallas/Tulsa team has been one of the worse defensive teams for the last few seasons, you could take a player like Gabby who still has a world of potential to get better, or a deadly scorer in Plum. But Dallas has the 3 and 4 pick, so I think all 3 would go no lower then 4. And even in 2018 I expect Williams to be among the first 5 players taken, Wilson, Mitchell, Turner, Canada, Williams, Billings.

Reaction Score
These awards are great and well deserved. What it also tells me that unselfish, team first philosophy preached by Geno promotes winning and the individual awards follow. When we look at stats, what more could all these "guys" have put up if they played 4th quarters?
Its a lot of fun watching them play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On the other hand, I am surprised by Aja Wilson not being unanimous.

Maybe it's been being overly critical of A'ja, but while I think she is a very good player, she hasn't "wowed" me in any of the UConn games and even in the 10-12 other SC games I have watched (notably Tenn and Duke) she did not dominate. If anything, I think her rep got her on 1st team when I think Jones from MD deserved 1st team with A'ja getting 2nd team. Look, A'ja is a greater athlete with more upside than Brionna, I just think Brionna had a better year. I also don't think Wilson's game has evolved as much over her 3 years there.

Reaction Score
DD and the Tenn fans must be very disappointed for this result....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Trio of Huskies headline espnW All-America first team

First Team
Napheesa Collier, UConn
Kelsey Plum, Washington
Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn
Gabby Williams, UConn
A'ja Wilson, South Carolina

Second Team
Brionna Jones, Maryland
Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
Sydney Wiese, Oregon State

Also receiving votes: Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame; Lexie Brown, Duke; Chantel Osahor, Washington; Alexis Peterson, Syracuse

Reaction Score
So happy for our Girls... Phe, Lou, Gabby!!! Great work ALL. It was obvious during UCONN games broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, that their announcers were major fans of our girls! Hopefully this portends great news when the other AA teams are announced. Anyone know when those announcements are made?? GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Maybe it's been being overly critical of A'ja, but while I think she is a very good player, she hasn't "wowed" me in any of the UConn games and even in the 10-12 other SC games I have watched (notably Tenn and Duke) she did not dominate. If anything, I think her rep got her on 1st team when I think Jones from MD deserved 1st team with A'ja getting 2nd team. Look, A'ja is a greater athlete with more upside than Brionna, I just think Brionna had a better year. I also don't think Wilson's game has evolved as much over her 3 years there.
You're right. By now she should have developed a right hand, learned to dribble drive from the elbow, and learned a jump hook with both hands. She has no back to the hoop moves. With the aggressive interior defense of the WNBA, she'll have a hard time just getting her shot off. And where has her coaching staff been to teach her this stuff?

Reaction Score
I would have agreed with you up through the SEC Championship game. I think in that game she finally showed some of the promise that she has. Having Coates to lean on and help cover a portion of the court has stunted her growth, IMO. Next year I expect to see a near Stokes-esque explosion of development from her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oh he'll find something to complain about. Probably that he has too many.
You raise an interesting question. Has UConn ever had 3 returning 1st team AA's?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As there are a couple competing threads on this subject that have yet to be merged, I will throw out the 2 points I made on the other thread:
  • Next season Geno can no longer complain that he doesn't have any returning AA's
  • Can anyone remember a season when UConn had 3 returning 1st team AA's?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
AR-170129748.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

I see you have become a vigorous adherent to "A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words."

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You raise an interesting question. Has UConn ever had 3 returning 1st team AA's?

First time ever I believe. All were major standouts in one way or another, which must have made it hard to justify leaving one of the three on second. Well deserved to all, congratulations

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom