2nd year in a row they laid an egg | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2nd year in a row they laid an egg

Reaction Score
Utterly disappointing. This team just didn’t have that alpha that could take over a game and will them to victory. Never loved our starting lineup of RJ, Andre, Rese, Sanogo, and Whaley. Hopefully next year the younger talent emerges giving us far greater upside.

Orc

Reaction Score
Well, first they need to make the tournament next year. Cole and Martin are not going to be easy to replace right away.
Hope cole stays. Martins points should be easy to replace

Reaction Score
Hope cole stays. Martins points should be easy to replace
Frankly, we need them both to stay. Is Martin done? I should know but my brains fried.

Reaction Score
Frankly, we need them both to stay. Is Martin done? I should know but my brains fried.
I disagree. Yes, the team will be better with them than without them, but we've seen the ceiling for these guys. If the young talent we've brought in is as good as it's supposed to be, we need to get them some playing time to develop. All of the practices in the world won't teach them what they need to learn in games. And, if the talent is that good, we should have a higher ceiling in a couple of years when they have some experience. If not, we have to ask if Hurley and Co are recruiting the wrong guys or if they cannot develop they guys they do recruit?

Reaction Score
His seat should at least be warm right now, if we don't make the second weekend next year then turn the burner up to 11
Well, thanks to Benedict handing out undeserved extensions, he’s signed for 6 more years and we just had to pay Ollie $11 million. With that contract situation, he’s here a minimum of a few more years. We may have to accept having a competitive program that doesn’t make deep runs in March.

Reaction Score
A competent backcourt?
Yeah, I was trying to not be so negative, but yeah. For me, the only guy I felt comfortable with was Cole. Anyone else with the ball was an adventure. Cole was a Khalid type, but we didn’t have a rip, ray, or Rudy type. And I don’t mean we need future hall of famers, but let’s be honest, Bouknight (or someone like him) would have changed the trajectory of this team by 180 degrees. With JB, I’d have felt good about an elite 8 run or better. Most of the team are complimentary players, damn fine players but better when they can pick up some slack, not when they are the go to guys. Make sense? Cole and JB and the guys around them are free to just fill in for the win.

Reaction Score
Hawkins lack of development/injuries really hurt this team. A second scorer would have been huge. If he can take that next step next year, it will be extremely helpful. Idk if you lay that at the feet of Hurley for misevaluation, or chalk it up to a young kid needing time, but, for me anyway, I think Hurley was kind of in a tough spot with the makeup of the team. I’m willing to ride it out with him a few more years until he proves his recruiting isn’t up to snuff. We have some young kids with talent, now can he get a couple generational talents to put them over the top? Were they riding the pine this year already? I’ll be bullish on the future until I’m proven wrong, like usual. I’m not really all that bright, tbh.

Reaction Score
I was on UConn Twitter last night and it’s wild to see how much they still carry Hurley’s water. I gave him a pass after last season, but can’t anymore. If he doesn’t show the ability to win close/big games and make adjustments, he’s not the guy. This ain’t URI, you need to win big games in the postseason. He hasn’t really shown any growth as an in-game coach.

That sucks to say out loud because I think we all like Hurley as a person/leader of young men.

Reaction Score
I think it is time to move on from this group. We’ve seen their upside. Thanks for the memories and best of luck in your future endeavors to Polley, Cole, Martin and Whaley. All good complementary players but none are good enough to put a team on his back at crunch time. They simply aren’t.

My view of Hurley is about what it has always been. A cut below the top coaches. He can recruit solid players in a heavily fished pond, but either can’t, or won’t or isn’t allowed to recruit outside our narrow footprint. The result is we end up with Top 100ish players. We don’t get Khalid elAmins, or Emeka Okafor’s, or even Donny Marshalls because we don’t even try. They dont hail from the NY metro area. A poor man’s Jamie Dixon. And my URI buddy told me he is too uptight and as a result spits the bit in big spots. After watching 4 years of almosts I think it might not be an inaccurate assessment.

Reaction Score
My view of Hurley is about what it has always been. A cut below the top coaches. He can recruit solid players in a heavily fished pond, but either can’t, or won’t or isn’t allowed to recruit outside our narrow footprint. The result is we end up with Top 100ish players. We don’t get Khalid elAmins, or Emeka Okafor’s, or even Donny Marshalls because we don’t even try. They dont hail from the NY metro area. A poor man’s Jamie Dixon. And my URI buddy told me he is too uptight and as a result spits the bit in big spots. After watching 4 years of almosts I think it might not be an inaccurate assessment.
Castle is from Georgia.

Reaction Score
Program is fine. Be frustrated at the results, but the team had flaws. One of the biggest problems with relying on offensive rebounding as your offense that a good rebounding team can neutralize that. NMST beat us on the boards, we had four second chance points. We didn't shoot well for 3.

Martin and Jackson only took 10 shots combined the entire game. The only one on the team that could create a basket was Cole. Cole was brilliant in second half.

PG and wing scorer biggest issues for next year. Jackson has to be able to score more than 6 PPG. He blew by his opponent with abandon. Go to the hoop young man.

But, it's an NCAA team next uear. Going to be dominnant down low. I would look for a transfer portal stop gap PG or 2.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This goes back to not wanting a 5 seed-it is a death sentence. Oh, and our mojo geniuses are awful: Providence won and we lost.
The seeding had nothing to do with our play. You can see this coming miles away. It was the same script from the entire season. From the bottom 300 teams to Nova, same thing every game.

Reaction Score
Hurley is what he is. In many respects, he is a Ston Hall guy through and through. Finish in the low end of the top25. Check. Get to the Dance. Check. That’s it. Winning it all is too hard to even contemplate for lots of coaches.

Reaction Score
If Cole comes back, great. But other than that I think shedding the sub150 talent will ultimately be for the best.
Pretty unfair to Martin and Cole to describe them as "sub 150 talent" at this point, as 1st team all-BE and a guy who should have at least gotten honorable mention, but overall, yes, I'm not opposed to completely turning the page and seeing what Hurley's higher-ceiling high school recruits can do.

Reaction Score
Pretty unfair to Martin and Cole to describe them as "sub 150 talent" at this point, as 1st team all-BE and a guy who should have at least gotten honorable mention, but overall, yes, I'm not opposed to completely turning the page and seeing what Hurley's higher-ceiling high school recruits can do.
Probably harsh. I like them. But they all have limitations at the higher end.

Reaction Score
Depressing feeling. I don’t feel the best team won. That’s on us
What do you call a team that can't shoot the three, won't defend against the three, and apparently, struggle with making layups? UConn was not the best team by any stretch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom