22/23 schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

22/23 schedule

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
We lost to Yale about 15 minutes ago. Not a Cupcake. More like a vitamin filled, Nutrigrain Muffin with a Red Bull.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I know It’s already been said, but now we need a solid OOC home game this season. I would rather we played a top 50 team at home instead of the game with St Bonaventure in Newark.
We are due a home game in the BE-Big 12 challenge. Texas and Baylor are the biggest names that are due a road game.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they have a basketball analytics consultant they use to help with optimal scheduling. The problem is even with how bad the non-con was outside of the Bahamas, it has likely minimal impact on the season.

UConn's NET hovered around 15-20 all season long. Partly this was because they played pretty well all season, but also because the Big East had such a strong year. Despite this, I hope the administration and staff realize how bad it is to play so many garbage opponents at home.
Pounding those garbage teams was great for our analytics. Really no way to sugarcoat that. I mean you do have to absolutely pound them for it to be worth it, but it seems Hurley teams are able to do that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t much care who we play - I just want them to stop inviting the absolute dregs.

There’s no reason to play a 300+ team. Do we owe Coppin State money from a gambling debt?

Also, I used to love the mid-season OOC matchup. A good made for TV matchup in late January or early February is great.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
We're trying to play more HBCUs man, is that such a bad thing? We could drop some of the other cupcakes but I'm not sure it matters much in the end.

Reaction Score
Also, I used to love the mid-season OOC matchup. A good made for TV matchup in late January or early February is great.
I posted about that in another thread a couple weeks ago.

With the Big East having an odd number of teams we're always going to get 1 weekend off in January or February. Might as well schedule a good OOC game like the ones in my post.

Reaction Score
I don’t much care who we play - I just want them to stop inviting the absolute dregs.

There’s no reason to play a 300+ team. Do we owe Coppin State money from a gambling debt?

I miss those mid season OOC tests too. Given the significant price increase in tickets and Seat donations, a better home OOC slate is appropriate. Even more importantly, we want to see good basketball. Hurley needs to stop gaming the home schedule to expected roster talent and just commit to developing teams that will win playing a good home schedule.
The building the culture thing seems more likely to disappoint than reinforce, given the portal and guys leaving early for the NBA, even before they are ready. The reality today is that every year, is going to be a rebuilding year, if you want to win.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That doesnt annoy me at all. What would annoy me is LOSING to Michigan ST at Gampel. I find zero entertainment value there.
So you've never had fun in at a rowdy UConn game that ended up as an L? The point was that a coin flip home games vs brand name teams provides way more entertainment value than penciling in a W in a half empty arena vs a nobody.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So you've never had fun in at a rowdy UConn game that ended up as an L? The point was that a coin flip home games vs brand name teams provides way more entertainment value than penciling in a W in a half empty arena vs a nobody.
I am so let down after a L the only thing I can think about is where can I get a drink after.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

No. Not regular season. You should never schedule home losses. They happen anyway but you shouldnt schedule them for the lulz. Deep in the tourney or BET Ive taken my lumps a few times but still enjoyed it, sure.

This goes back to event fan (which is fine) vs. UConn fan argument Ive made here.

Thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. Not regular season. You should never schedule home losses. They happen anyway but you shouldnt schedule them for the lulz. Deep in the tourney or BET Ive taken my lumps a few times but still enjoyed it, sure.

This goes back to event fan (which is fine) vs. UConn fan argument Ive made here.

Thats just my opinion.
So you're ok with a loss in the postseason, but you'd prefer a drubbing of McNeese State over a close loss to Arizona in November?

I'd argue that even a "UConn fan who is decidedly not an event fan" should prefer the latter. The coaches and players will learn much more about themselves in a loss to a good opponent than in a laugher.

By the way, what is "scheduling a loss"? Most years, UConn can reasonably expect to be able to beat any opponent at home.

August_West

Reaction Score
So you're ok with a loss in the postseason, but you'd prefer a drubbing of McNeese State over a close loss to Arizona in November?

I'd argue that even a "UConn fan who is decidedly not an event fan" should prefer the latter. The coaches and players will learn much more about themselves in a loss to a good opponent than in a laugher.

By the way, what is "scheduling a loss"? Most years, UConn can reasonably expect to be able to beat any opponent at home.
Yes I would. I live by Calhouns philosophy.

Reaction Score

I went to the last UConn-Arizona game in Hartford, which we lost. I like to be tested throughout the entire season. Could not care about a buy game as long as we blow them out.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Was there any agreement with the AAC that we had to play some of their schools in basketball when we left the league?

Reaction Score
Cue the freakout. No Gavitt Games and likely no more big P5 games being scheduled
Is the no Gavitt Games a permanent thing? Or can the deal get reworked to include UConn? Seems like there would be value on all sides if UConn was in on the Gavitt games. This years OOC seems like it will be loaded…will probably be better than last years.

Reaction Score
Is the no Gavitt Games a permanent thing? Or can the deal get reworked to include UConn? Seems like there would be value on all sides if UConn was in on the Gavitt games. This years OOC seems like it will be loaded…will probably be better than last years.
This is the last year of current agreement. If the deal is re-upped, UConn would be included in the deal going forward for Gavitt.

For this year the OOC is loaded, just most of them are far away with the 1 exception at home. The rest being cupcakes.

Reaction Score
This is the last year of the current contract so it could be extended and would presumably include UConn since we're in the conference now when the deal is negotiated. I forget where I saw it, but in one of these articles it sounded like it was not going to be renewed and was going away

Reaction Score
Cue the freakout. No Gavitt Games and likely no more big P5 games being scheduled
As long as we don't play Portland in PK85, our OOC includes FIVE high-major opponents: Florida, B12, and three PK85 teams (UNC, Alabama, Oregon, Villanova, Iowa State and Michigan State).

@shizzle787 will freak out at that, but that's as given as Abe Simpson yelling at clouds.

Reaction Score
This is the last year of current agreement. If the deal is re-upped, UConn would be included in the deal going forward for Gavitt.

For this year the OOC is loaded, just most of them are far away with the 1 exception at home. The rest being cupcakes.
I think that is pretty much how the OOC will be going forward. If the Gavitt challenge continues, and we are included, it looks like we would probably play a home game in that, and a road game in the BE-B12. Being in both of those events would guarantee a solid home OOC game every year. I know this is looking far ahead, but any word on what early season tournament we are in for November of 23?

August_West

Reaction Score
As long as we don't play Portland in PK85, our OOC includes FIVE high-major opponents: Florida, B12, and three PK85 teams (UNC, Alabama, Oregon, Villanova, Iowa State and Michigan State).

@shizzle787 will freak out at that, but that's as given as Abe Simpson yelling at clouds.
There is no benefit to metrics scheduling tough early at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom