22/23 schedule | The Boneyard

22/23 schedule

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The 22/23 season is officially on. I have always advocated for a difficult OOC schedule for both our SOS and our fanbase at home games.

With out further ado, I hoping to see a schedule similar to this:

Cupcake (Harvard)
Cupcake (Coppin State)
PK85
PK85
PK85
P5 H/H (Florida on the road)
Cupcake (Fairfield)
Gavitt game (Michigan State on the road)
Cupcake (Yale)
P5 H/H (Syracuse at home at Gampel)
Big 12 challenge (Baylor/Texas at home at XL)

I would also like to see the Big East home assignments switched from last year (the BE games at XL last year at Gampel this year and vice versa).

Reaction Score
The 22/23 season is officially on. I have always advocated for a difficult OOC schedule for both our SOS and our fanbase at home games.

Cupcake (Harvard)
Cupcake (Coppin State)
PK85
PK85
PK85
Cupcake (Fairfield)
Cupcake (Yale)

I would also like to see the Big East home assignments switched from last year (the BE games at XL last year at Gampel this year and vice versa).
I would be ecstatic with that schedule, and something like it might actually happen, but somehow I suspect the slot you filled with Syracuse will instead be a weekend game at the XL Center against a team ranked in the 350s.

MJ1

Reaction Score

Cupcake (Harvard)
Cupcake (Coppin State)
PK85
PK85
PK85
Cupcake (Fairfield)
Cupcake (Yale)

FYI- Yale not a cupcake

Reaction Score
Would be lovely if we didn't handicap ourselves by playing a bunch of 300+ ranked teams next year. I know a lot of it is set well in advance and already planned for... just hoping.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they have a basketball analytics consultant they use to help with optimal scheduling. The problem is even with how bad the non-con was outside of the Bahamas, it has likely minimal impact on the season.

UConn's NET hovered around 15-20 all season long. Partly this was because they played pretty well all season, but also because the Big East had such a strong year. Despite this, I hope the administration and staff realize how bad it is to play so many garbage opponents at home.

I think we all understand a couple games to work on things, give younger guys some minutes, play with rotations and so on, but there is a point where folks are looking for semi - competitive games OR games that have a little regional juice to it. And continually playing teams with no one over 6'7" can only be so instructive. I understand Hurley wants to get some HBCU's in the building like we saw with Coppin State, UMES, and Grambling but these are non-competitive games and can't make up such a substantial portion of the schedule.

They should be looking at reviving the East - West game with Gonzaga from a decade ago, a home and home (NOT MSG, we get SJU at the Garden now so these games need to be deprioritized in neutral venues) with Cuse needs to be brought back, Hurley should be talking to Willard about playing Maryland if it isn't going to happen already via Gavitt Games, Benedict should get another home and home with Auburn his old employer, now that Cox is gone from URI and his former players are gone they should be scheduling URI, the one exception for MSG since they never would come to Connecticut would be Duke at the Garden, Notre Dame would be a fun WBB / MBB doubleheader (at MSG, not Newark yuck), they were supposed to play some games against AAC schools get Memphis back to XL again before those sanctions kick in.

I dunno there are just so many options and obviously can't please everyone, but they just got to stop with playing games in New Jersey, MSG if only necessary, play less teams in the 300+ range, and get better games in Gampel non-con.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Cupcake (Harvard)
Cupcake (Coppin State)
PK85
PK85
PK85
Cupcake (Fairfield)
Cupcake (Yale)

Whens the last ticket youve bought for a game?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Whens the last ticket youve bought for a game?
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think the issue with our schedule has nothing to do with our metrics, last year we played a terrible non-conference schedule and struggled at times and were still able to get a 5 seed. The issue we run into is just that no one wants to go to the garbage games. I for one would be fine with a slew of cupcakes this year when considering we should get a BIG 10 game a BIG 12 game and 3 top games in PK tournament. I think 5 tough games seems like the right amount for me

August_West

Reaction Score
UConn's NET hovered around 15-20 all season long
Exactly the point here. Thats a great NET for a fairly pedestrian season. And that and a dime got us a cup of coffee and a first round upset. Shizzles OOC hysteria is so ill founded it is (almost) funny. You know what wins? Good teams. We aren't in AAC any longer we have an 18 game bigeast schedule.

Reaction Score
I’m fairly certain this exact same post was made 2 months ago.
I was naive enough to think the OP was going to actually post some new schedule information for next season instead of repeating a thread from a month or so ago. Ugh!

August_West

Reaction Score
Nova, Marquette, Prov, MDES

I get it. You are an event kid. Nothing wrong with that. But you wont sit through a Gampel game against Central, will you?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I get it. You are an event kid. Nothing wrong with that. But you wont sit through a Gampel game against Central, will you?
Unlikely. I don’t like driving to Gampel. I actually like the venue more but it’s a pain to get to. I think I only have gone to one Gampel game ever against a then-ranked Harvard.

Reaction Score
Unlikely. I don’t like driving to Gampel. I actually like the venue more but it’s a pain to get to. I think I only have gone to one Gampel game ever against a then-ranked Harvard.
Gampel is awful for parking, but tremendous venue.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The problem is, Hurley is a numbers guy. He’s going to look at the schedule we played this year (terrible OOC), the Big East games we could have potentially won (Creighton 2X, Hall, Xavier, PC), the fact that we finished with a mid-teens NET and say “if we won a few of those games we should have, we’d have been a top 10 NET team. So let’s run it back again.”

Would love to see a packed OOC schedule, but it’s clear the numbers the staff has feels the risk of an L outweighs the reward as long as we take care of business in conference play.

The thing is, they aren’t wrong. But is annoying as fans because a close loss in a packed Gampel to Michigan State would be way more entertaining than a 12 point win over Gardner Webb in an empty XL.

*we also get 2 challenge games added to the schedule this year, even less incentive for the staff to go out and schedule anymore P5 OOC games

August_West

Reaction Score
But is annoying as fans because a close loss in a packed Gampel to Michigan State would be way more entertaining than a 12 point win over Gardner Webb in an empty XL.

That doesnt annoy me at all. What would annoy me is LOSING to Michigan ST at Gampel. I find zero entertainment value there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom