22/23 schedule | Page 4 | The Boneyard

22/23 schedule

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Should have been Baylor. They blew that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, OSU is the only fanbase I met at a Final Four that didn't suck.

Reaction Score
Such garbage. Another year of a terrible OOC home slate.
I agree it's a little underwhelming, but this is still a top 30-40 team that's going to be a really good test going into conference play. Let's not overreact

Reaction Score
I agree it's a little underwhelming, but this is still a top 30-40 team that's going to be a really good test going into conference play. Let's not overreact
It's not about Oklahoma State, it's about that this was the only game before New Year's that was going to be of intrigue at home. It had to be Baylor (or maybe Oklahoma) or it was going to be a disappointment. It will be a good game, fun atmosphere, but having to sit through CCSU, Coppin State, UMass - Lowell, New Hampshire, and Maine for 1 good game first two months of the season at home in the face of steep ticket price increases is a bit insulting.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
FWIW, OSU is the only fanbase I met at a Final Four that didn't suck.
I used to work for a subsidiary of MetLife that was out of OK City. I was in NYC, but most of the guys were OSU grads. Had a great time with them in San Antonio (until they had to go home early). Excellent fan base, hate UT and OU.

Reaction Score
It's not about Oklahoma State, it's about that this was the only game before New Year's that was going to be of intrigue at home. It had to be Baylor (or maybe Oklahoma) or it was going to be a disappointment. It will be a good game, fun atmosphere, but having to sit through CCSU, Coppin State, UMass - Lowell, New Hampshire, and Maine for 1 good game first two months of the season at home in the face of steep ticket price increases is a bit insulting.
That's fair, I just think that's setting some pretty unrealistic expectations. Complaining about the 300+ teams sure, that can and hopefully will change. But complaining about a game that UConn has zero control over, when all but one opponent is going to be deemed a disappointment just seems silly

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure why people expected that somehow this was going to be engineered to produce a premier matchup for UConn...guessing that if you asked Baylor, they’d not want to come to Gampel.

OSU is fine, not great, but fine.

The schedule will be underwhelming; the preference seems to be towards scheduling light. I used to really think the team benefited when Calhoun scheduled a serious OOC game in late January or early February. Would love to see that back.

Reaction Score
Here's a snapshot of my current roster notes for Oklahoma State:

1652891397160.png

Reaction Score
Not sure why people expected that somehow this was going to be engineered to produce a premier matchup for UConn...guessing that if you asked Baylor, they’d not want to come to Gampel.
Maybe because we are one of the two premier brands in the conference and are going to be one of the top 3 teams preseason?

Reaction Score
Should be a borderline top 30 team at home. About as good as us. Q1/Q2 borderline.

Better than Oklahoma, West Virginia, or Kansas St. Baylor was the only better option.

Reaction Score
Should be a borderline top 30 team at home. About as good as us. Q1/Q2 borderline.

Better than Oklahoma, West Virginia, or Kansas St. Baylor was the only better option.
WVU would have been a more exciting matchup from a fan perspective though. We have some BE history with WVU. Oklahoma State is just kinda a meh draw considering the other team we could have played...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As long as we don't play Portland in PK85, our OOC includes FIVE high-major opponents: Florida, B12, and three PK85 teams (UNC, Alabama, Oregon, Villanova, Iowa State and Michigan State).

@shizzle787 will freak out at that, but that's as given as Abe Simpson yelling at clouds.
I saw that Nova is in our bracket for PK85. How is that possible? I thought early season tournaments couldn't have match-ups between 2 teams of the same conference. Could mean we play Nova 4 times (maybe even 5) next season... just weird.

Reaction Score
I saw that Nova is in our bracket for PK85. How is that possible? I thought early season tournaments couldn't have match-ups between 2 teams of the same conference. Could mean we play Nova 4 times (maybe even 5) next season... just weird.
We agreed to this before we rejoined the Big East. We will be in a spot we can only play in the Finals

Reaction Score
Nov. 24-27, PK85 Tournament: UConn will be among the teams in this loaded 16-team tournament to be held in Portland, Ore. The field will be separated into two brackets, with UConn in a bracket that also features defending national runner-up North Carolina, as well as Alabama, Iowa State, Michigan State, Oregon, Portland and Villanova.

Villanova, you say? How did two Big East teams wind up in the same bracket? Well, when the field was originally formed, shortly after the inaugural PK80 Tournament in 2017 concluded, UConn was still in the American Athletic Conference. Two Big East members were invited, Villanova and Xavier, with the understanding that they would be separated into different brackets.

Once UConn joined the Big East, the tournament elected to keep the field as it was and put the Huskies in the same bracket as Villanova. It’s likely the teams will be placed on opposite ends of the bracket, but there still remains a chance that they could meet in what would be a non-conference game. That would mean they’d face each other three times in the regular season alone — and possibly again in the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
WVU would have been a more exciting matchup from a fan perspective though. We have some BE history with WVU. Oklahoma State is just kinda a meh draw considering the other team we could have played...
I don't know. It's possible WVU would be a Q3 game if they were our opponent, although projections vary wildly on them. I can't get too excited about that. I also never felt much rivalry with WVU outside of like the Pittsnoggle years and that was almost 20 years ago.

I think it's also possible they wouldn't schedule the same teams 2 years in a row, so maybe it wasn't even an option.

Reaction Score
When are schedules usually finalized? Would people be happy if this is the biggest OOC home game, but all the other OOC home games are the likes of Yale, Vermont, etc?

Reaction Score
When are schedules usually finalized? Would people be happy if this is the biggest OOC home game, but all the other OOC home games are the likes of Yale, Vermont, etc?
Some of us would be happy with that, but it will never happen. Not any time soon, anyway.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It IS The biggest home OOC game. That’s already a fact.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I haven't read more than the first page, but I love seeing the OP keeping Coppin State on the schedule as a true geographically distant cupcake game. "Cupcake" has a nice sound to it, and I wonder if somebody has already suggested an annual trophy for a 'wordplayed' "Cops & Cons" nickname for this game, now that UCF is no longer a conference rival.

Reaction Score
TLDR: playing too many cupcakes is bad and can build unrealistic expectations, especially in the 06-07 season.

I'll never forget the 06-07 season where we started 11-0 due to having more cupcakes than a first grade classroom birthday party. We were pretty highly ranked by the end of that stretch, though the rest of the season was kind of a disaster.

Even though it went poorly, it was a really fun season to watch. We had 8 freshmen (Hasheem Thabeet, Jerome Dyson, Stanley Robinson, Curtis Kelly, Ben Eaves, Jonathan Mandeldove, Doug Wiggins, and Gavin Edwards), along with sophomores Jeff Adrien, Marcus Johnson, Rob Garrison, and Craig Austrie. AJ Price was a redshirt sophomore after missing one season due to AVM and another due to you-know-what.

Some of my top memories from that season are Thabeet trying to pass the ball to Calhoun, Marcus Johnson's dunk-filled 16 point game against West Virginia, seeing Ben Eaves score his sole point at UConn, and Price and Austrie's different styles yo-yoing them in and out as starting PG. Also, Mandeldove showed flashes, sinking a mid-range jumper against Pitt and blocking 5 shots in as many minutes in another game.

Seeing Johnson flounder at the 3 after a really encouraging freshman season (he was projected as a #9 draft pick for 2007 when the season started) and Rob Garrison's lack of success after a summer where he put in a ton of effort were saddening. Otherwise, it was in many ways a really fun season. Except for all of the losing.

Speaking of Marcus Johnson, he's the only guy I remember who played in one exhibition game prior to transferring, rather than doing so in the off season.

This probably should've been it's own thread, as I'm way off topic by this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom