2025 Updated Recruiting Targets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Updated Recruiting Targets

awy

Reaction Score
The really bright ones will see the Castle blueprint and see the forest through the trees, even if they are a top 10-15 recruit.
i mean they'll get their share of top 10 guys, but as far as asking the top guys to take a lot less money, a lot harder of an ask. although certainly still possible for the right type of families. incidentally I think the sons of NBA players are good for this. statistically they are the biggest overperformers too.

Reaction Score
i mean they'll get their share of top 10 guys, but as far as asking the top guys to take a lot less money, a lot harder of an ask. although certainly still possible for the right type of families. incidentally I think the sons of NBA players are good for this. statistically they are the biggest overperformers too.
It’s a 12 month or so view compared to a 10 plus year view. The guys that develop and go higher in the draft and get a second contract would be expected to make more realistically, wouldn’t they? Hurley hasn’t been here long enough to have the track record of the second contract yet, but few can reasonably argue that Hawkins, Castle, and Clingan didn’t develop in such a way as to get drafted higher than their recruiting rankings might have suggested. Compare the contract Castle got with someone drafted say 12th or 15th. Then compare that to the possibility of leaving a few hundred grand of NIL money on the table.

Reaction Score
I don't think we have been recruiting him at all, probably since he went west. We are definitely not entertaining the $3-$5 million Dybantsa is reportedly going to be offered by BYU for 1 year.

Reaction Score
I agree with this except exactly the opposite.
I was thinking the same thing reading his post.

Aren't players like Dybantsa expected to make so much money in the NBA that getting $2, or $3, or even $4 million in his 1 year in college not going to make much of a difference? Might as well go to the school that is going to set you up best for the NBA, rather than going for the most NIL.

If you're a prospect that doesn't have such a clear path to the NBA then you should maximize your earnings as much as you can in college. $2 million for the #100 rated prospect might be the most money he's going to earn in his professional basketball career.

Reaction Score

Aren't players like Dybantsa expected to make so much money in the NBA that getting $2, or $3, or even $4 million in his 1 year in college not going to make much of a difference? Might as well go to the school that is going to set you up best for the NBA, rather than going for the most NIL.

If you're a prospect that doesn't have such a clear path to the NBA then you should maximize your earnings as much as you can in college. $2 million for the #100 rated prospect might be the most money he's going to earn in his professional basketball career.
I can see both sides but I agree with @Huskyforlife. Dybantsa is going #1 overall or at the very least top 5 whether he goes to UConn, Duke, or Stonehill. He's going to make a ton of money but an extra $5M is still nothing to sneeze at.

The lower ranked guys I think are the ones who should be prioritizing development. Take Nick Timberlake and Cam Spencer last year. One cashed in a paycheck and the other is killing it in the NBA summer league.

Obviously not as simple as reversing those decisions and Timberlake is in the NBA, but I think UConn has a good track record now of getting guys completely off the NBA radar chances

Reaction Score

Not to mention a giant shoe deal that will also dwarf the size of that NIL. Hell Caitlin Clark got a $20 million deal. And that’s just one endorsement opportunity.

awy

Reaction Score
well when you get high enough, you also have higher leverage to get present day money. when you are too low to get a shot in the league, then you just want to do 5 years of college and get money. it's pretty complex but everyone is right.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

All the schools set him up for the NBA, he’ll go first overall if he picks CCSU. The kid won’t fail at the NBA level because he picked a bad college coach or system. So why not maximize earning potential?

I don’t think people realize how special this guy is.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think in the long-term there needs to be either bonuses for playing well or minimum performances to get your money. The latter would be tricky. There's just too many players getting huge $ that suck. I'd be pissed off if I was a donor giving more than 10 bucks a month to SC

Imagine if McNeeley had a contract where if he comes in and the team makes the sweet-16, he gets extra. Or if he averages less than 30% from 3 he won't get a certain amount of $.

Of course there are A LOT of things I'm not thinking of. But I do think we need a system where kids get money for college performances and not what they did in hs.
Might as well teach them about real life sooner rather than later!

Reaction Score
The Sleepers podcast did a short piece on AJs recruitment recently and talked about how weird it’s been, as he doesn’t talk to anyone, his dad does. They mentioned a quote from AJ around UConn where they offered him early, but then never reached out since. How do you know a kid is a fit if his dad does all the talking? My sense with him aligns with some recent quotes from Hurley where he said the challenge now that we are the shiney program is to keep getting the guys that fit the ilk, and not fall for the shiney recruit. I get a sense that everything is intentional with Hurley - if you want to come win, and get better, you come to us. If we have to chase you, if you’re an odd bird or it appears your singular goal is a bag on your way to the NBA, you’re not for us. I get the feeling this applies to Dysbantsa. He’s also bounced from team to team at the HS level. I don’t think there is a program in the country that puts more emphasis on character right now than Hurley’s and this guy doesn’t seem to fit the bill. And I love him for it.

Reaction Score
The Sleepers podcast did a short piece on AJs recruitment recently and talked about how weird it’s been, as he doesn’t talk to anyone, his dad does. They mentioned a quote from AJ around UConn where they offered him early, but then never reached out since. How do you know a kid is a fit if his dad does all the talking? My sense with him aligns with some recent quotes from Hurley where he said the challenge now that we are the shiney program is to keep getting the guys that fit the ilk, and not fall for the shiney recruit. I get a sense that everything is intentional with Hurley - if you want to come win, and get better, you come to us. If we have to chase you, if you’re an odd bird or it appears your singular goal is a bag on your way to the NBA, you’re not for us. I get the feeling this applies to Dysbantsa. He’s also bounced from team to team at the HS level. I don’t think there is a program in the country that puts more emphasis on character right now than Hurley’s and this guy doesn’t seem to fit the bill. And I love him for it.
Interesting you say this because remember how Hurley and his staff don't want helicopter parents? I can't see Hurley all that enthusiastic about having to talk only to the father.

Hurley wants to stay with what got him the 2 championships. He will go after more top 5-star players than ever before, but not to the point it comprises team cohesion towards the championship goals.

awy

Reaction Score
uconn is the best destination for AJ development wise because as a wing creator at the next level learning how to operate within a complex offense is immensely valuable. he can create the advantage, and turning that advantage into the most team level production is an elite level swing skill that can be developed in the uconn offense. players need to understand that they don't develop from touches, but from being challenged and learning new stuff. there's no program that does this better than uconn.

but it's whatever. from a roster / resource management standpoint they don't need him. nate ament is basically going to give you the same thing given some more physical development, is a better shooter, and actually better defender with said physical development.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I guess that is the bottom line for everyone. Make as much as you can. No matter what line of work you're in.
I would argue no, from a lazy- brother-in-law to the software engineer who quits their job to travel the world.

awy

Reaction Score
this Reibe guy just strikes me as a program foundational piece. versatile and provides hard to acquire rim protection on the court. his mindset is kind of like AK, very engaged with basketball nerdery

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Mostly true but work environment and flexibility are equally important.
I would argue no, from a lazy- brother-in-law to the software engineer who quits their job to travel the world.
But if you can get both, the bag and a comfortable environment, and you are confident the future is guaranteed no matter what, that would be the most preferable situation. It explains the “Squids” success at getting one and dones and it probably explains the lack of relative success he had in his caretaker’s role at Kentucky. He was an NBA coach at the college level.

The only reason someone has to push themselves in college if they know they are wanted at the NBA level is because they love winning or they are marginally in demand and want to become a lottery pick.

Hurley has stated he is not against NIL. He stated he refuses to recruit players where the NIL is the first or primary focus with a recruit. These individuals, as talented as they may be, are less likely to buy into Hurley’s system.

Reaction Score
Whatever a top player can make in college for their one year is peanuts to what they will make in the NBA. For instance Brunsons next max deal if he gets one will be something like 5 years 450 million. As a kid I would just want to be developed the best and steered in the right direction ( Danny Hurley).
At last, someone here who sees the "bigger" picture.

It seems DH and the staff want players who also see the bigger picture and understand the real riches are in the league with the second contract and not the NIL $$$.

The staff just needs someone like SC to become that superstar with a max contract and they'll be better able to convince the right players that their future will be shaped by the coaching they get at UConn and not the NIL bag Calipari or others can offer.

Reaction Score

The second scenario (no clear path to the NBA so take max NIL $) was my point last year about Timberlake. His path was questionable so the took the Kansas $$$.

Reaction Score

It seems DH and the staff want players who also see the bigger picture and understand the real riches are in the league with the second contract and not the NIL $$$.

The staff just needs someone like SC to become that superstar with a max contract and they'll be better able to convince the right players that their future will be shaped by the coaching they get at UConn and not the NIL bag Calipari or others can offer.
Yes, if Castle becomes a stud at the NBA level, and he is more than capable of doing so, it's another great selling point for Hurley and the coaching staff for the 5-star recruits. Basically that selling point is: choose UConn, NIL is strong here, but you get great preparation to enhance your value for the NBA, and you will win in March and not necessarily in the order. In fact going deeper into March in the NCAAT will enhance the player's value by getting them greater exposure for the NBA.

Reaction Score
All the schools set him up for the NBA, he’ll go first overall if he picks CCSU. The kid won’t fail at the NBA level because he picked a bad college coach or system. So why not maximize earning potential?

I don’t think people realize how special this guy is.
If he is that special and we offered him as a freshman but haven't pursued him lately it's curious............unless it's about the NIL demands and DH won't play that game.

Reaction Score

Agree with this - from a marketability perspective Hurley has checked off every box possible other than showing that his players can become NBA all pro's. Need a couple to hit that mark, and then he hits VIP status on recruiting. What's hysterical is that this is Calipari's only bullet, and it works. I can see that guy selling families on becoming sustained millionaires as his only lethal selling point at this juncture.

I'm also not sure how many 5 stars Hurley will want annually, as it's proven that sustained success doesn't come with OAD's - they either go to the draft or go portal. McNeely is on a lot of early 2025 mocks as top 10, which would infer he's leaving after a year. It makes you question the value beyond 1 OAD/year, as becomes a lot of mouths to feed while setting a precedent. Need to make that one a guaranteed instant contributor & team player, then fill in with others than have longer runway & less instant expectations. Those then that don't pan out, you portal replace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom