2025 Recruiting Targets? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting Targets?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get the nil idea, but why byu? I am willing to bet plenty of other programs could put up a similar bag (think Kentucky, Duke, kansas, bama, etc. ) There has to be something other than just pure money if he does chose byu.
The same way our coaches demonstrate things that resonate with certain players and their mentors the BYU powers to be resonated with the Dybansta group more than any other program or so it appears.

The quick reaction with some posters in the Boneyard is to make the case any player we’re recruiting and lose as chasing money. That’s not always the case and certainly hard to prove. Between AJ’s dad's statements and the history of AJ’s school movement there is enough evidence to make a compelling case that dad is cashing in on his son’s abilities and has been for some time. AJ is comfortable with it and, at least up to this point, it hasn’t negatively impacted his play.

Reaction Score
BYU just got a Russian kid who’s basically a 5-star. So yeah, wouldn’t shock me at all if they were real players for AJ.

Reaction Score
Is that why he never visited Utah Prep? He knew that was the kind of place where he could concentrate on basketball? Their website must be very convincing.
I feel like it's not that uncommon for basketball players to do that. He's going there for 1 reason, basketball. He's not gonna care what the campus looks like or anything, it's just is this coach going to showcase me for college

Reaction Score
Sounds like BYU has a good base of NIL/etc. to compete in this era of MBB. A few years down the road will the ex-BYU coach get Kentucky to higher results than his old team. Same question Kentucky vs. Arkansas. Will be a wild next few years as a lot of teams "opening up the check book" and only so many places in the final four. Still early on in this environment, not nearly time enough yet to find the upper limit of "you gave the kid that much bag!".

Reaction Score
I feel like it's not that uncommon for basketball players to do that. He's going there for 1 reason, basketball. He's not gonna care what the campus looks like or anything, it's just is this coach going to showcase me for college
If that's the case wouldn't you want to see the facilities and meet the coach in person? Just seems strange to me. He's the #1 recruit, does he need any more showcasing? I could see development as the reason but not showcasing.

I hope you don't send your children to a prep school for academics without them seeing the school just because you know that school is really good academically and you want to send your child there.

I wish I could talk to 100 2025 recruits who are at a prep school and ask them if they saw the school they're at before committing to go there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If that's the case wouldn't you want to see the facilities and meet the coach in person? Just seems strange to me.

I hope you don't send your children to a prep school for academics without them seeing the school just because you know that school is really good academically and you want to send your child there.

I wish I could talk to 100 2025 recruits who are at a prep school and ask them if they saw the school they're at before committing to go there.
yeah it's a bizarre situation. not sure why anyone would ever go to a school without ever seeing it in person. that's like buying a house after only seeing it on zillow

Reaction Score
yeah it's a bizarre situation. not sure why anyone would ever go to a school without ever seeing it in person. that's like buying a house after only seeing it on zillow
I bought my house having only seen Polaroid pictures Fed-Exed to me in the days before the internet. Also had first-person descriptions from my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. 33 years later, I still live that house which has been all paid for for years. Best purchase I ever made!

Reaction Score
I bought my house having only seen Polaroid pictures Fed-Exed to me in the days before the internet. Also had first-person descriptions from my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. 33 years later, I still live that house which has been all paid for for years. Best purchase I ever made!
yeah I guess it works out sometimes!

awy

Reaction Score

AJ interview by a BYU podcast. it is interesting that he has "winning a ncaa title" as one of his priorities, alongside nba prep and being close to family.

if we take him seriously then the team that best fits is uconn by far. dont give up on him yet.

Reaction Score
Just had a pop up on the mbb Instagram page that we officially offered 2025 CG Darius Adams.
So nice finding these rather than Lakers/Hurley updates.
They watched him a lot at top 100 camp so I had a feeling that was coming.

Kayden Mingo, one of his PSA teammates, is top ~60 and has been going crazy in the EYBL. Another name to watch.

Reaction Score

AJ interview by a BYU podcast. it is interesting that he has "winning a ncaa title" as one of his priorities, alongside nba prep and being close to family.

if we take him seriously then the team that best fits is uconn by far. dont give up on him yet.

I guess we'll find out if UConn is recruiting Dybantsa very shortly.

Reaction Score
They watched him a lot at top 100 camp so I had a feeling that was coming.

Kayden Mingo, one of his PSA teammates, is top ~60 and has been going crazy in the EYBL. Another name to watch.

We're offering a ton of guards in the 6'3-6'5 range despite seemingly being a frontrunner for Thomas. Will be interesting to see who we focus on peach jam weekend.

Thomas
Acuff
Mullins
Adams

Acuff is probably a separate offer because he's more of a lead guard. The others I would imagine it's one scholly to the first commit.

Don't love Adams's assist #s, but that might just be PSA. They don't really coach basketball. But I think he's probably taller than he's listed and might be more of a 3. Very good shooter and makes some deep ones. High volume too. No left hand to speak of. Uses jump stops really well like Hurley wants. Pretty creative at the rim. Too skinny. Handles are meh for his size and position. Seems to compete hard. A bunch of hard cuts and around screens to get open for Js.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're offering a ton of guards in the 6'3-6'5 range despite seemingly being a frontrunner for Thomas. Will be interesting to see who we focus on peach jam weekend.

Thomas
Acuff
Mullins
Adams

Acuff is probably a separate offer because he's more of a lead guard. The others I would imagine it's one scholly to the first commit.

Don't love Adams's assist #s, but that might just be PSA. They don't really coach basketball. But I think he's probably taller than he's listed and might be more of a 3. Very good shooter and makes some deep ones. High volume too. No left hand to speak of. Uses jump stops really well like Hurley wants. Pretty creative at the rim. Too skinny. Handles are meh for his size and position. Seems to compete hard. A bunch of hard cuts and around screens to get open for Js.
Thomas’ scoring package is really unique for a kid his age. Similar to Cam where he never looks rushed but gets where he wants so effortlessly. Really love the assist numbers from him recently, shows we can bring in another guard who doesn’t necessarily have to be a primary 1.

Reaction Score
Thomas’ scoring package is really unique for a kid his age. Similar to Cam where he never looks rushed but gets where he wants so effortlessly. Really love the assist numbers from him recently, shows we can bring in another guard who doesn’t necessarily have to be a primary 1.

Thomas is an outstanding player. I wrote down a bunch of thoughts when I watched a half dozen or so of his games in EYBL. Boiled down to
  • Passing is way underrated. He has a ton of high-level reads.
  • His shooting is really solid. Good %s on high volume, and a lot of different types of shot. Off-the-dribbel, spot up, transition.
  • Overall he's kind of a jittery athlete... plays very stiff (think... opposite of Tristen)
  • Handles are okay, not great. Dribbles too high.
  • Lightning fast with the ball in his hands.
  • Skinny... probably 6'4 or 6'5 and 180. Built a bit like Hawkins. Maybe slightly taller.
  • Really invested on defense. Hands in the passing lanes, stays low. A lot to work with on that end.
  • Creative finisher with both hands at the rim. Size is a detriment at times, but he's got a huge bag to work with.
  • Solid rebounder for his size. High effort.
  • Built like he can put on weight... wide shoulders, long arms.

Reaction Score
Maybe Dybantsa's dad and Hurley are a perfect match, but the Dybantsa recruitment where 100% of all recruiting communication is with the father, doesn't seem to have the right vibe of a supportive but not interfering family that Hurley prefers. AJ is great, has size, wants to win an ncaa championship, aspires to 40% from 3, and aspires to work on his strength. All I can think of is Tremont Waters playing against Brewster who came over to his dad in the stands during every foul shot to be critiqued and coached on his play and what to do next. I was sitting with his dad and envision, rightly or wrongly, a similar relationship with the Dybantsa's. There can't be a second voice competing with the staff's messaging. I think our interest will hinge on the evaluation of the dad's role if AJ came here. Basketballwise I'd love him, but I am skeptical of a culture fit.

Reaction Score
He’s saying why follow in Melo’s footsteps, he’s already a hometown legend and if Rudy went to Cuse and didn’t win, he’d never have a chance to be a “great” in his hometown. It makes sense to me, he wanted to make his own path.
Funniest line from Melo was when he said he picked Cuse because they played zone and he didn’t need to play any D. Carried through his entire pro career too lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom