2025 Recruiting Targets? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting Targets?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This is what I wrote about Aristode after watching 4 Brewster games. He's good--very good--but I'm not sure we have room for someone with such a limited offensive skillset in our system. He dominates AAU because of his physicality, but in real games, he's basically a spot up shooter who can't pass on that end. Very good defender though. I wonder if we're waiting to see how his dribbling and passing develop before pursuing him more aggressively. I may have not posted this before because I didn't want to say something so negative about a recruits ability on offense, but... f it.

Overall: I watched 4 games versus the best competition I could find. He’s a big, strong, physically advanced wing. Built like a grown man and can jump. 6’7 205–he’ll probably show up to college 6’8 220. Excellent 1v1 defender. Absolutely lockdown. His offense outside of spot up 3s is underwhelming. Good spot up shooter at about 38%. I don’t see how he could effectively play anything but the 4 in college barring a massive improvement on the offensive end. I worry that without a huge boost in his IQ and comfort vs pressure and moving the ball on the perimeter, he wouldn’t fit in with the identity we’ve created. All high school juniors need to improve, but his skillset would need to improve more than any other recruit in the last couple years to fit in.

Defense: Physically advanced and locked in on defense. Effort is fantatsic. Terrific wing defender and always matching up on the opponents best perimeter player regardless of size. He is going to be a fantastic college defender and a leader of a team defense. On the defensive end, he could be the best perimeter defender on the team in year 1. He’s got the physical profile to shut down the kind of strong, driving 4s that have given us fits lately. He held VJ Edgecombe (#4 in the 2024 class) to something like 2/9 shooting when Aristode was his primary defender. Despite being a fantastic athlete, he isn’t all that good of a defensive rebounder. He’s physical and tough so he gets the offensive boards, but can’t track the ball well enough or doesn’t have the awareness to get defensive boards at the rate you’d expect considering his size.

Offense: This is where things go a bit haywire. He can shoot the 3 at a solid clip–about 38% between high school and FIBA on decent attempts. He will be a very good spot up shooter in college. Can’t shoot off the dribble effectively. Frankly, just about everything else isn’t up to our level at his current stage of development. He struggles mightily versus pressure because his handles and passing aren’t good enough. He only had 1 assist and 3 potential assists in over 100 minutes of playing time I saw him in. That is simply not good enough. A JV player would get a few assists just by moving the ball out of fear. His handles are not good, and he dribbles far too much for his skill level in close games. It leads to turnovers–almost 3 a game and those are almost exclusively from dribbling into traffic with no plan. He frequently slows down the offense by getting into this triple threat with his head down by his waist looking at his toes. With the ball on the perimeter, his decision-making is much too slow. It’s a 0-threat because he can’t shoot or pass with his head down, and he doesn’t have the handles to make something happen in anything but a wide open lane or in transition anyways. No left hand finish at the rim at all, nor does he have the Jalen Adams'esque creativity to get the shot off. Spends far too much time uninvolved and standing around on offense while his teammates make plays. His passing IQ is too low to be an effective part of a press break.
Guys with a player profile like Aristode's would have most top 10 schools jumping at the chance to land him. Times are good when we can say this type of guy won't fit.

I have only viewed Aristode's AAU game highlights and echo @husky429 in part.
- Decent handles for a Big Wing, no Dybantsa but can score off two and dribble combo generally for drives, often finishes off hard jumpstop with two hands, right hand dominant

• Big strong wing, capable as a rebounder- highlights show him getting a few and taking it for score or assist. Disappointing to hear about defensive rebounding. get it done on capable of seven or eight a game with his frame and athleticism.
  • Stands around on O on his AAU team, not sure if it's scheme, but it's a waste of talent. Also, he's not the no. 1 option on that team, it's a stocky 6'4, 6'5 kid who has a knack for getting buckets from 10 ft in and plays a little like Lawrence Moten.

He's like many highly ranked guys who come in as good to great athletes combined with little offensive bag. That can develop with work. Would have to convince him to play as a four as @husky429 said. Suppose we could just show him 22-23 AJax footage as a small ball four, rebounder and playmaker.

Reaction Score
He's like many highly ranked guys who come in as good to great athletes combined with little offensive bag. That can develop with work. Would have to convince him to play as a four as @husky429 said. Suppose we could just show him 22-23 AJax footage as a small ball four, rebounder and playmaker.

I do think he's worth recruiting, but he's gotta understand you aren't a #1-#6 option year one. Put him on the Isaiah Abraham or Jaylin Stewart plan.

Year 1? You're defending like a motherf------r and shooting the occasional open 3. Develop over the summer and let's see what you've got year 2.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
We looking at anyone who goes here? I can stop by their dorm in between lax tourney games and give them my UConn elevator pitch.

IMG_8121.jpeg

Reaction Score
Maybe Dybantsa's dad and Hurley are a perfect match, but the Dybantsa recruitment where 100% of all recruiting communication is with the father, doesn't seem to have the right vibe of a supportive but not interfering family that Hurley prefers. AJ is great, has size, wants to win an ncaa championship, aspires to 40% from 3, and aspires to work on his strength. All I can think of is Tremont Waters playing against Brewster who came over to his dad in the stands during every foul shot to be critiqued and coached on his play and what to do next. I was sitting with his dad and envision, rightly or wrongly, a similar relationship with the Dybantsa's. There can't be a second voice competing with the staff's messaging. I think our interest will hinge on the evaluation of the dad's role if AJ came here. Basketballwise I'd love him, but I am skeptical of a culture fit.
Sure seems like there's no match...

Reaction Score
Sure seems like there's no match...

He hasn't mentioned UConn in a long time so I don't know why certain posters keep saying UConn is recruiting him. We'll get further evidence when he releases his final list shortly.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to whether these highly ranked highly skilled guards that are 6'4 to 6'5 all perceive themselves as 1 and done. It could become quite a recruiting rat race. I'd prefer at least some of guys accept the Hawkins 2 year plan.
These HS superstars do have visions of being 1 and done, however, when they go for their visits, bet that the coaches involved reinforce their notions of invincibility. That 's the game coaches have to master if they want to go to the big dance. And, you can either stay home on the porch or run with the big dogs. Your choice-

awy

Reaction Score
AJ's process has the obvious bag school theme and it would not be a huge surprise if it's just a bidding war. but there's also this undercurrent, mainly from what AJ says directly, about getting the most development possible to be ready for the NBA and winning in march, that may leave the door open. it's just a possibility.

obviously uconn can't sign everyone and the bag efficiency question comes into play majorly. AJ is obviously a bag guy, but even Thomas could be one with the OTE stuff. it'll be interesting to see which guys they prioritize and how much value highly ranked prospects see in the uconn development program. If they are indeed able to pull off a super class then that would be a good sign that the program is seen as adding a lot of value to their nba development.

Reaction Score
AJ's process has the obvious bag school theme and it would not be a huge surprise if it's just a bidding war. but there's also this undercurrent, mainly from what AJ says directly, about getting the most development possible to be ready for the NBA and winning in march, that may leave the door open. it's just a possibility.

obviously uconn can't sign everyone and the bag efficiency question comes into play majorly. AJ is obviously a bag guy, but even Thomas could be one with the OTE stuff. it'll be interesting to see which guys they prioritize and how much value highly ranked prospects see in the uconn development program. If they are indeed able to pull off a super class then that would be a good sign that the program is seen as adding a lot of value to their nba development.

Head Explode GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Reaction Score
the Hurley interviews got you guys talking weird, talking about players' character and their parents chasing money, leave that stuff to Hurley and his staff to evaluate. you guys are not on the road observing these players and/or talking to them and their families about what they ultimately want in a school

Reaction Score

ok I'm dumb, but what is OTE stuff?

awy

Reaction Score

I'm probably more sanguine than most about the impact of OTE on players. they do legit training. but the NIL component is also hard to ignore here. there's nothing wrong with that uconn is competitive on that front.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Pre NIL there was a narrative that kids who were going the OTE route were just chasing money. But that narrative has mostly died out now that it's proven to be an effective model that can develop kids for the NBA, and is no longer an alternative to college

Reaction Score
I Remember watching the Montverde game with Abraham vs Flagg/McNeely and couldn't believe how young this kid was. He looks 22 already and you would think he already spent several years in a major college strength and conditioning program. Excellent player also. He would be a major get obviously.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's funny because I just looked this guy up 2 days ago after seeing this on IG:
View attachment 101754

lilsmitty_23 is Jordan Smith Jr and I guess canman_forty is his dad or coach or something. Maybe someone on the staff saw it as well.
I’m gonna hope this is a weird fan, not someone attached to Smith.

Reaction Score

2026 but not worth a whole thread

Glad to see that we are reaching out. I’ve seen him play and this kid is going to be a phenomenal player once he gets to the next 2 levels. Along with his obvious offensive skills he is a lock down defender. Now that the entire PVI starting 5 all graduated with D1 scholarships it’s his turn to shine and become the face of the team.
Hopefully, Isaiah will stay in touch with him and help with the recruitment for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom