2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 23 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, I'm sticking with my theory you don't want to win the Commissioner's Cup (other than the nice little cash bonus). The winning team has gone on to be the league Champs only once in 4 years.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oof, Williams has been almost as brutal as Ionescu tonight. Not a good game for lead guards.

Sabally rescued the Liberty tonight. Mostly in Q3, but huge play just now in OT.
Just a bit of information about Nyara for those who might not know much about her. The summer before her freshman year at Oregon the German National Team coach played her in a FIBA tournament even after she had injured her knee--and with a predictable result: she blew out the knee entirely and even after two years on the sidelines, and more than one surgery, I believe, couldn't stay on the court with any consistency throughout her time at Oregon. And that, of course, had a major impact on her development. It's really only now that she's beginning to be the player she was on the way to being before the injury: different than her sister, certainly, but a player with a considerable upside. And the Sabally''s are also the reason Fiebich is on the team.

Reaction Score
Lynx need to get a more physical PG if this is the physicality allowed moving forward. Williams is known for a high motor, but she looked gassed at times which I found surprising. Add some height with athleticism closer to the basket and they should have no problem getting back next year. It would also extend Collier's career. She was battling considering she was undersized..
Could it also be a factor of playing two rounds series that went to Game 5 back to back? Personally I thought both teams seemed to be running ragged after competing as hard as they have the entire series.

Reaction Score
You know who was robbed? Ionescu and Stewwie, that's who. How can you possibly play like they played and enjoy the win or the title?
Sure Stewart didn't play to the level of what fans may be used to seeing, but she played her tail off. She had an impact in all of their wins and this team wouldn't have won had she not been on the roster.

Ionescu didn't have her best, but she did what all great players do. Find ways to contribute and help the team. She came through with clutch shots when NY needed it. No different than Eli Manning during his days with the Giants. It wasn't always pretty but he won 2 Superbowls because he made the plays they needed when it counted.

Reaction Score
You know who was robbed? Ionescu and Stewwie, that's who. How can you possibly play like they played and enjoy the win or the title?
It's a series, not just one game. Their play in the Series allowed the Liberty to reach game 5. A subpar game doesn't mean they're less deserving or shouldn't celebrate.

That being said - a hearty congratulations to the Liberty (AND Stewie)!! Phee, you'll get it next year. #UConn

Reaction Score
It's a series, not just one game. Their play in the Series allowed the Liberty to reach game 5. A subpar game doesn't mean they're less deserving or shouldn't celebrate.

That being said - a hearty congratulations to the Liberty (AND Stewie)!! Phee, you'll get it next year. #UConn
Agreed. And for Ionescu, it's even more special considering her Oregon team missed out on a chance to compete for a national title while she was at college. She's damn well entitled to celebrate any way she wants. Heck if she goes on a party run like Ovechkin did when Washington won the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't blame her. ;)

Reaction Score
Could it also be a factor of playing two rounds series that went to Game 5 back to back? Personally I thought both teams seemed to be running ragged after competing as hard as they have the entire series.
Yea...sure it was, but she played less minutes than any Lynx starter. Heidelman was good, but the offensive chemistry just isn't the same as when Williams is in. It's not as fluid. Both teams wore the heck out of their starters. NY finally adjusted in game 5 and played Thornton and Sabally who clearly had fresher legs. Thornton just wore down everyone with her physicality. She almost fouled out in 20 minutes of play. lol Lynx need a bench that they feel comfortable stepping in.

Reaction Score
Yea...sure it was, but she played less minutes than any Lynx starter. Heidelman was good, but the offensive chemistry just isn't the same as when Williams is in. It's not as fluid. Both teams wore the heck out of their starters. NY finally adjusted in game 5 and played Thornton and Sabally who clearly had fresher legs. Thornton just wore down everyone with her physicality. She almost fouled out in 20 minutes of play. lol Lynx need a bench that they feel comfortable stepping in.
So when you said physical, you were referring to endurance? Not sure how playing more minutes equates to physicality. I see it more as a conditioning situation, but both could go hand in hand depending on how one looks at it.

Reaction Score
So when you said physical, you were referring to endurance? Not sure how playing more minutes equates to physicality. I see it more as a conditioning situation, but both could go hand in hand depending on how one looks at it.
She looked tired. You could see it in her face. Her shots were front rimming and I feel the physicality of the game greatly contributed to that. Last game she was chasing Sloot all over the court. All that adds up. She isn't going anywhere. She's a good fit, but some of these quarters were rugbyISH.

Reaction Score
Love how Cathy wore a Liberty dress to the game. They ain’t even trying to hide it.

That last call is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. Love Stewart but she took a whole journey on that last shot attempt.
And what hurt even more, was watching the refs review the phantom foul knowing they saw and blew the travel call! That hurt.
Sad Oh No GIF by Bounce

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
McBride is one of my favorite ND players. Did I just admit that? No, but really, she is tough as nails and she needed to be in this series. NY beat her up on her cuts pretty good in this game.
And K-Mac still managed to shoot 7-13 despite being hit like an NFL running back going down the lane. In fact, she only shot 1-6 from three, so she was almost perfect going to the hoop. She and 'Phee came up just short of winning the Euro and WNBA championships this year (Of course, 'Phee was on the Olympic Team that won gold....).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yup. And the very short turnaround from Friday to Sunday.
  • Guards didn't seem to have their legs: witness the very low 3 pt. %, by and large.
  • Coaches were tightening up their rotations. Outside of Heidemann, did any Lynx sub come in most of the second half, save for a Juhasz minute? Brondello, at least, had Thornton and Sabally in...to positive effect.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Mid-morning thoughts after. Primarily looking ahead.
  • These tight playoff schedules might be due to the upcoming NBA/current NHL schedules in arenas that are shared, but the quick turnarounds have to wear on players, particularly with teams in which coaches were riding their stars long and hard. WNBA is going to a best of 7 next year and there has to be some recovery time in there to ensure a good product, particularly if teams are travelling quite a distance/time zones.
  • OK, time for the third party-approach on reviews. The late-game review that upheld the calls against the Lynx was the final straw. As noted, Stewie used her Airline Miles before even going up for the shot.
  • Can't make an accurate judgement on the quality of each and every referee in the WNBA, but if the league wants to be the new big thing, your refs have to be in lockstep. And that goes from who the refs are from overall philosophy on how/what to call. And you've gotta get that third-party decision in place (rent it from the NBA for the playoffs, at least).
and
So much has been spent on the quality level of the play/officiating, but a shout out on a few fronts:
  • Brondello, who has been ripped and/or given credit, made some moves in the latter part of the season and the playoffs that helped the Liberty, for sure. Most notably, there's the insertion of Fiebich into the starting line-up. She makes them a different team: taller, more athletic on all fronts.
  • Her decisions to play Thornton and Sabally in this last game were key. Fresh legs helped. A lot.
  • Likewise, Reeve started playing Juhasz rather than Hines-Allen to combat that tallness and athletic ability of NY. Going forward, I'd expect Reeve to keep Juhasz in the rotation. I'll also be very interested if Jess Shepard decides to play in the W this year and, if so, with Minnesota. She and Reeve are tight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am happy for Coach Brondello. Folks were saying she "Can't coach" or "Doesn't know how to win games" blah, blah, blah. She guided the Liberty to the title. She has been in the W for a decade if not longer. She is a winner and a solild coach. Well done, Coach B.
And to think that the Phoenix Mercury let Sandy B go last year! Great Coach!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
  • These tight playoff schedules might be due to the upcoming NBA/current NHL schedules in arenas that are shared, but the quick turnarounds have to wear on players, particularly with teams in which coaches were riding their stars long and hard. WNBA is going to a best of 7 next year and there has to be some recovery time in there to ensure a good product, particularly if teams are travelling quite a distance/time zones.
  • OK, time for the third party-approach on reviews. The late-game review that upheld the calls against the Lynx was the final straw. As noted, Stewie used her Airline Miles before even going up for the shot.
  • Can't make an accurate judgement on the quality of each and every referee in the WNBA, but if the league wants to be the new big thing, your refs have to be in lockstep. And that goes from who the refs are from overall philosophy on how/what to call. And you've gotta get that third-party decision in place (rent it from the NBA for the playoffs, at least).
I didn't realize until now this was their 3rd game in 5 days. Plus they had to fly from Minnesota to NY the day prior. Anytime a flight is involved in the playoffs (at least for the semis and finals) I feel like you have to give players 3 days between games to keep the quality of play high. Makes sense why players looked so worn down yesterday.

Agree on the reviews. Watching the Smith foul on Stewart several times over, I have NO idea how the refs could honestly stand by that call. The worst part is they had a chance to correct the call on the review and didn't. Reeve rightfully blasted the refs in her postgame interview and came off extremely salty, but I would be too after how the game ended. 3 phantom foul calls against Minnesota in the final minute of play after the refs had been letting them play all night.

Reaction Score
The Liberty saved the day for NY sports. Had they lost, it would've been a quadruple loss day.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And K-Mac still managed to shoot 7-13 despite being hit like an NFL running back going down the lane. In fact, she only shot 1-6 from three, so she was almost perfect going to the hoop.
KMac’s toughness never ceases to amaze me.

A bit of a digression: As a UConn fan I was never crazy about KMac. Never disliked her, just kind of meh. Till I was watching a game, I think between the Lynx and the Aces. Kayla set a pick, Liz Cambage crashed into her, and Cambage went flying and gave one of those YAAAHHHs that only she could make. Liz was called for a foul, and KMac still hadn’t moved, then she smiled and started flexing. It was a riot, and I’ve been on team KMac ever since. She just has a positivity about her that fits with Napheesa and Bridget. Great interview, I love her accent and delivery.

Reaction Score
and
So much has been spent on the quality level of the play/officiating, but a shout out on a few fronts:
  • Brondello, who has been ripped and/or given credit, made some moves in the latter part of the season and the playoffs that helped the Liberty, for sure. Most notably, there's the insertion of Fiebich into the starting line-up. She makes them a different team: taller, more athletic on all fronts.
  • Her decisions to play Thornton and Sabally in this last game were key. Fresh legs helped. A lot.
  • Likewise, Reeve started playing Juhasz rather than Hines-Allen to combat that tallness and athletic ability of NY. Going forward, I'd expect Reeve to keep Juhasz in the rotation. I'll also be very interested if Jess Shepard decides to play in the W this year and, if so, with Minnesota. She and Reeve are tight.
I think a shout out should also go to Allen for grinding it out with her ankle and back issues. From thinking her time in the W was over to playing in a championship two years later as a starter. And to battle through and play the minutes she did while nowhere close to 100%.

I seriously didn't think she was coming back after Jones fouled her and they fell to the floor. While I understood why Liberty fans were chirping at the refs, that was the right call because Jones hooked her while trying to establish herself.

Reaction Score
I think a shout out should also go to Allen for grinding it out with her ankle and back issues. From thinking her time in the W was over to playing in a championship two years later as a starter. And to battle through and play the minutes she did while nowhere close to 100%.

I seriously didn't think she was coming back after Jones fouled her and they fell to the floor. While I understood why Liberty fans were chirping at the refs, that was the right call because Jones hooked her while trying to establish herself.
Alanna?

Reaction Score
I didn't realize until now this was their 3rd game in 5 days. Plus they had to fly from Minnesota to NY the day prior. Anytime a flight is involved in the playoffs (at least for the semis and finals) I feel like you have to give players 3 days between games to keep the quality of play high. Makes sense why players looked so worn down yesterday.

Agree on the reviews. Watching the Smith foul on Stewart several times over, I have NO idea how the refs could honestly stand by that call. The worst part is they had a chance to correct the call on the review and didn't. Reeve rightfully blasted the refs in her postgame interview and came off extremely salty, but I would be too after how the game ended. 3 phantom foul calls against Minnesota in the final minute of play after the refs had been letting them play all night.
Replay clearly showed Smith's hand making contact with Breanna's arm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom