2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 19 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Smith got hurt late in the first half. Returned briefly in the second half but clearly wasn't very mobile or feeling very good. Lynx went with a heavy dose of Hines-Allen, and the Lib sagged off her on D constantly. Why not give Juhasz some minutes, she can stretch the defense like Smith.

Will the Lib please start calling out screens so Fiebich doesn't get knocked into next week? Well, she already has been knocked into next week, but maybe they can prevent it from happening for what, the 4th or 5th time?

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I read on the BY that Ionescu is weak defensively. Is she really weak on defense? Never paid much attention to her defense. Why does she start if she is weak defensively?
Oooof, (cheering for Minn) well we got that answer in the last 5 seconds tonight.

Many pick on Plum, Clark, Ionescu etc for lack of defense, but they bring a lot on offense and points are needed to win.

Fans and media like offense too. Both Ionescu and Clark made the all WNBA teams.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Speaking of offense. I find it hard to believe that Juhasz cannot contribute more on offense than Hines-Allen.
I’ve been thinking the same thing, although not specifically offense. With Smith hurting tonight, Dorka could have given them 10 or so good minutes. She’s taller and longer than Hines Allen, so a different look against Jonquel.

Reaction Score
What a game! I think I'm still coming down from the excitement. I have to say this has been the best Finals I've seen.
That 3 point bomb by Sabrina was COLD! And Stewie, well there was no way she was going to lose that game.
Impressive showing by the Liberty.

And, why isn't Dorka playing for the Lynx??? Smith was not the same when she came back.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts on last night’s game. So far the W has delivered a really competitive championship finals series between two really talented and tough teams, both of which play their hearts out to the last whistle.

The packed house last night in MN was electric. Stewie & Pheesa both put up huge games. But in the end, Ionescu’s bomb at the buzzer was a career defining shot from maybe the best shooter in WBB, although I suspect fans of CC might disagree.

I am hoping this series goes the full five games.

Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts on last night’s game. So far the W has delivered a really competitive championship finals series between two really talented and tough teams, both of which play their hearts out to the last whistle.

The packed house last night in MN was electric. Stewie & Pheesa both put up huge games. But in the end, Ionescu’s bomb at the buzzer was a career defining shot from maybe the best shooter in WBB, although I suspect fans of CC might disagree.

I am hoping this series goes the full five games.
What I sometimes look for is the amount of men in the stands, and the amount of men that comment on social media after the game; esp. NBA players. It's been a lot. That's also a good sign for growth. And games like last night certainly don't hurt.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I sometimes look for is the amount of men in the stands, and the amount of men that comment on social media after the game; esp. NBA players. It's been a lot. That's also a good sign for growth. And games like last night certainly don't hurt.
While watching the game with me, my wife commented several times, “This is great for women’s sports.” Clearly the W is on the precipice of becoming part of the American sports psyche for both women and men, with young girls leading the way. CC has added a new dimension, the Olympics were fabulous, expansion is coming and Paige Bueckers is one season away from taking the W to yet another level of fan enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
Smith got hurt late in the first half. Returned briefly in the second half but clearly wasn't very mobile or feeling very good. Lynx went with a heavy dose of Hines-Allen, and the Lib sagged off her on D constantly. Why not give Juhasz some minutes, she can stretch the defense like Smith.

Will the Lib please start calling out screens so Fiebich doesn't get knocked into next week? Well, she already has been knocked into next week, but maybe they can prevent it from happening for what, the 4th or 5th time?

I'm surprised that this has happened as much as it has during the playoffs. Rebecca Lobo was very animated about it for good reason, because it's common sense especially from a player safety perspective. And by her count it's a total of 4 times that this has happened so far.

Reaction Score
Oooof, (cheering for Minn) well we got that answer in the last 5 seconds tonight.

Many pick on Plum, Clark, Ionescu etc for lack of defense, but they bring a lot on offense and points are needed to win.

Fans and media like offense too. Both Ionescu and Clark made the all WNBA teams.

Ionescu hasn't been that weak on defence, but she has improved a lot this season too. Her defence against Williams late in Game 2 helped cause that turnover which led to Fiebich's game clinching 3. Wish I had bookmarked a montage of her defensive plays that I saw on Twitter. She deserves more credit for her defence than she's given.

Reaction Score
While watching the game with me, my wife commented several times, “This is great for women’s sports.” Clearly the W is on the precipice of becoming part of the American sports psyche for both women and men, with young girls leading the way. CC has added a new dimension, the Olympics were fabulous, expansion is coming and Paige Bueckers is one season away from taking the W to yet another level of fan enthusiasm.
I'm hoping Stewie and Phee's "Unrivaled" will take off now that TNT and it's affiliates will be showing the games.

Reaction Score
This game will largely be remembered for Sabrina’s shot, but without Stewart, that shot isn’t possible. She carried them on her back offensively to get back within striking distance. And was an absolute menace on the defensive end. She did just enough to put her teammates in a position to make shots to close out the game. An all time performance by Stewart, and an all time shot by Ionescu.

Reaction Score
Great game. I loved that we packed the Target Center! I believe it was our largest crowd ever that turned out for the game. Love seeing so many folks showing up to support not only the Lynx but also the Liberty. Great game by all. We all know that it is never one play or one player that wins or loses a game. It takes everyone out on the floor doing something, rebounding, passing, blah, blah, blah. Stewie is/was a beast out there! She would not let the Liberty lose. I tip my hat to her and the Liberty.

My Lynx did well out there. They just could not close the deal. Players stepped up and did what they needed to do and gave their best shot out there. We will just have to even the series up on Friday and win it all back in New York. Hang in there, Minnesota.

Reaction Score
This game will largely be remembered for Sabrina’s shot, but without Stewart, that shot isn’t possible. She carried them on her back offensively to get back within striking distance. And was an absolute menace on the defensive end. She did just enough to put her teammates in a position to make shots to close out the game. An all time performance by Stewart, and an all time shot by Ionescu.
It should not be remembered for Sabrina's shot it should be remembered for Stewie and Stewie alone. She had 30 points. No one else had more than 13. She had 11 rebounds No one else had more than 5. She had 4 blocks including a crucial one in the closing minutes. Until the last minute or two Sabrina had only 6 points. Stewie's 14 in the 3rd quarter got them back in the game.

Reaction Score
Speaking of offense. I find it hard to believe that Juhasz cannot contribute more on offense than Hines-Allen.
That has been the biggest mystery this whole season! On one hand, I can see why Coach Reeve sticks with Hines-Allen. MHA has a toughness and experience that Dorka lacks. But on the other hand, I could see where Dorka could help; size, rebounding, passing, and inside/outside game, where we (Minnesota fans) are screaming "Put Dorka in!". I sit five rows behind the Lynx bench and trust me, that is me every game "Get Dorka in the game!" or "Get Alissa in the game!". I still believe that those two players could give us a little spark. Dorka with her size and other skills. Pili with her size and ability to use her body to draw fouls and make shots. Win/Win in my book. But we shall see, especially with Smith and her situation. I hope that it is not something too serious.

Reaction Score
Great game. I loved that we packed the Target Center! I believe it was our largest crowd ever that turned out for the game. Love seeing so many folks showing up to support not only the Lynx but also the Liberty. Great game by all. We all know that it is never one play or one player that wins or loses a game. It takes everyone out on the floor doing something, rebounding, passing, blah, blah, blah. Stewie is/was a beast out there! She would not let the Liberty lose. I tip my hat to her and the Liberty.

My Lynx did well out there. They just could not close the deal. Players stepped up and did what they needed to do and gave their best shot out there. We will just have to even the series up on Friday and win it all back in New York. Hang in there, Minnesota.
That has been the biggest mystery this whole season! On one hand, I can see why Coach Reeve sticks with Hines-Allen. MHA has a toughness and experience that Dorka lacks. But on the other hand, I could see where Dorka could help; size, rebounding, passing, and inside/outside game, where we (Minnesota fans) are screaming "Put Dorka in!". I sit five rows behind the Lynx bench and trust me, that is me every game "Get Dorka in the game!" or "Get Alissa in the game!". I still believe that those two players could give us a little spark. Dorka with her size and other skills. Pili with her size and ability to use her body to draw fouls and make shots. Win/Win in my book. But we shall see, especially with Smith and her situation. I hope that it is not something too serious.
The coach appears to have decided that going small is the answer, a big mistake in my opinion. I believe but did not check that Dorka was the main reserve when the Lyns beat NY 3 out of 4 including the Commissioners cup. Since then, the Lynx have been very, very fortunate to win 1 game against the Liberty's big team. Also, I believe Diamond Miller is healthy but never plays. Both Dorka and Diamond made the all-rookie team last season.

Reaction Score
The coach appears to have decided that going small is the answer, a big mistake in my opinion. I believe but did not check that Dorka was the main reserve when the Lyns beat NY 3 out of 4 including the Commissioners cup. Since then, the Lynx have been very, very fortunate to win 1 game against the Liberty's big team. Also, I believe Diamond Miller is healthy but never plays. Both Dorka and Diamond made the all-rookie team last season.

Phee is the main reason the Lynx beat the Lib 3 outta 4

Reaction Score
It should not be remembered for Sabrina's shot it should be remembered for Stewie and Stewie alone. She had 30 points. No one else had more than 13. She had 11 rebounds No one else had more than 5. She had 4 blocks including a crucial one in the closing minutes. Until the last minute or two Sabrina had only 6 points. Stewie's 14 in the 3rd quarter got them back in the game.
Disagree because this game was more than just Stewart. She was the primary reason yes, but we also need to remember this:

• Ionescu took on more of a facilitator role which helped open things up for the entire team, including Stewart.
  • Sabally's minutes in the game helped to give Stewart and Jones breathers which kept them fresh for the final quarter.
  • Fiebich's efforts on both sides of the floor had impact throughout the entire game.
  • Minnesota losing Smith made it a lot easier for Stewart and Jones defensively because they could roam instead of having to guard her because of her outside shot.
  • This also made it easier for NY to get whatever they wanted offensively because Hines-Allen doesn't provide a defensive challenge like Smith does for Stewart or Jones.

Stewart didn't do this alone. It's myopic to think the Liberty won the game solely because of her.

Reaction Score
Phee is the main reason the Lynx win every game, but
Phee is the star in every game. Dorka is a better match up against the Liberty. We'll see if Smith is unavailable next game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom