2024 Red Sox | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Red Sox

Reaction Score
DD did win a World Series so in the end can’t fault him. But the point is that bloom took over a horrible situation. Dombrowski’s team was past their prime and payroll was ballooning (he wanted to keep trying to compete with that core and take payroll past $300M+ which got him fired). In retrospect, Bloom should’ve sold more, though it was hard cause they were in the WC race every year (an issue lots of teams are having nowadays with the expanded WC). He did get guys like Abreu with the middle ground approach though. I do feel strongly that it was absolutely not the time to buy given he was always building up for when the next round of farm talent hit (this year and next year), though they probably could’ve done a bit more with trading some of the 40 man roster clutter.

Ultimately Bloom’s squads were derailed hard by injuries over the past 2-3 years. You can’t tell me that the Red Sox wouldn’t be in a wildly better spot if they kept Bloom over breslow though. Bloom showed he was good at those low risk high reward depth signings to supplement teams, something we sorely are lacking this year. Breslow has not only added nothing in terms of talent and production (in fact has subtracted pretty hard) but has also added more payroll than last year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was always a bad take. Who did DD cull that went on to be good? Meanwhile, he won a World Series. This crew traded away the best pitcher in baseball for basically nothing. And paid most of his salary.
It's a mixed bag. There's a version of "win now" that costs you and one that doesn't. His staff was good at identifying young position players it seems. But throwing money at name guys is a bad long term bet a lot of the time. Young players are really undervalued in MLB compared to other sports.

More than any other sport, the team that wins a WS in baseball needs a lot of luck to pull it off. I think Dave got a bad rap in some ways, but there was nobody in the upper levels of the farm system (the lower levels were evidently quite strong). He had a lot of aging vets on big contracts. Did he win? Yep. But it was not a long term strategy. I think Baltimore is doing what the Sox wanted Bloom to do, develop young talent and supplement with a bigger budget than the Rays have. Red Sox aren't too far off from that. Maybe next year.
Why the Red Sox fired Dave Dombrowski

Reaction Score
It's a mixed bag. There's a version of "win now" that costs you and one that doesn't. His staff was good at identifying young position players it seems. But throwing money at name guys is a bad long term bet a lot of the time. Young players are really undervalued in MLB compared to other sports.

More than any other sport, the team that wins a WS in baseball needs a lot of luck to pull it off. I think Dave got a bad rap in some ways, but there was nobody in the upper levels of the farm system (the lower levels were evidently quite strong). He had a lot of aging vets on big contracts. Did he win? Yep. But it was not a long term strategy. I think Baltimore is doing what the Sox wanted Bloom to do, develop young talent and supplement with a bigger budget than the Rays have. Red Sox aren't too far off from that. Maybe next year.
Why the Red Sox fired Dave Dombrowski
Baltimore is a good example, though they’ve historically been more all in once they get into their window, and then tank and rebuild for multiple years given they’re a relatively smaller market. We’ll see if they do that once again as they’ve now entered their winning window.

Bloom had stated he was moreso trying to replicate the dodgers (bloom is from the Friedman tree), sustained winning with no rebuilds through spending and a constantly healthy farm system. But to do that, he had to first rebuild the farm system. As you mentioned, big free agent acquisitions is not really a viable long term strategy. Bloom did a good job at signing valuable free agents to short term contracts (often with team options) so that once the Red Sox were ready, they weren’t strapped down by horrible contracts. Red Sox are hopefully entering their window next year, though I would argue this year was the original timeline for Bloom if not for the horrible breslow additions that pushed back the rebuild.

A lot of the Red Sox fan base hate bloom because he didn’t make the playoffs in 3/4 years or resign the aging vets to massive deals or go all in when they were in the playoff hunt. Unfortunately a lot of fans don’t realize that you can’t just throw endless money at the team (look at the Mets for example), you need a healthy farm system to supplement/subsidize the larger contracts with cheap talent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read that Bloom wouldn't sign-off on a trade unless everyone in the room agreed. That's no way to run a ballclub. What was he getting paid for then?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Instead of worrying about Bloom we should be celebrating what this team pulled off against Houston. Duran had an epic game on Tuesday then they followed it up with a gem yesterday. Great finish to a really tough stretch. Getting Casas back has helped.

Royals and Twins have both been playing well and gaining on Cleveland. It's going to be a fun finish to the season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was also rumored that Bloom did not get along very well with his World Series winning manager. The hardware will normally win out. If Bloom stayed, Cora was definitely walking. Breslow got him signed, stabilized the clubhouse, and did just enough at the deadline to show a commitment to the MLB club. It is no secret that the World Series is not a primary goal until next season, but if they get into the tournament, anything can happen. That said, I agree with @HuskyHawk . Bloom is Boston is a dead horse.

My son and I were offered tix by good friends and we are headed up to Boston on Sunday. This will be my first live game since 2021 and it's like I'm 8 year year old again.

The Sox are 3.5 games back of the final WC spot and are right in the middle of the pack in terms of strength of schedule (#16, 36 games remaining, .498). The Twins and Guardians have nearly identical schedules to each other, but have a slightly tougher stretch (#10, 35, .504 and #11, 36, .504) remaining. The Twins also play three in Boston on the second to last weekend of the season. KC's remaining schedule is comparatively brutal (#3, 35, .535).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wow, the wheels really came off. Just an awful stretch of baseball.

Reaction Score
Wow, the wheels really came off. Just an awful stretch of baseball.
I wouldn't worry too much. You ran into a buzzsaw. The Mets are the best team in baseball since, I believe, the first week in June and Lindor is on an all-time run right now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much. You ran into a buzzsaw. The Mets are the best team in baseball since, I believe, the first week in June and Lindor is on an all-time run right now.
Sure, but the Diamondbacks? It's been ugly. The best news is Roman Anthony is just crushing AAA.

Reaction Score
Sure, but the Diamondbacks? It's been ugly. The best news is Roman Anthony is just crushing AAA.
The Diamondbacks are 79-70 and 9 games better than the Sox. Do you think they're bad or something?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Diamondbacks are 79-70 and 9 games better than the Sox. Do you think they're bad or something?
They were six games better when that series started. The Sox were coming off winning a series against Houston and splitting with Baltimore, then collapsed and got blown out.

Reaction Score
They were six games better when that series started. The Sox were coming off winning a series against Houston and splitting with Baltimore, then collapsed and got blown out.
You know the Diamondbacks were in the World Series last year, right? Is this the typical AL ignorance?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much. You ran into a buzzsaw. The Mets are the best team in baseball since, I believe, the first week in June...
I check out the Mets thread on occasion. Early-June, that was about the same time all you guys were giving up, iirc.

Reaction Score
I check out the Mets thread on occasion. Early-June, that was about the same time all you guys were giving up, iirc.
March - 0-3
April - 15-11
May - 9-19
Total - 24-33

June - 16-8
July - 17-10
August - 15-13
Sept - 4-0
Total - 52-21

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
March - 0-3
April - 15-11
May - 9-19
Total - 24-33

June - 16-8
July - 17-10
August - 15-13
Sept - 4-0
Total - 52-21
I knew the rough numbers. Did you see the turnaround coming? It must be nice having a competent front office.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom