2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
Reed is currently 10th best rated center on 247. Maybe higher transfers are bag shopping. Maybe Reed’s potential is what we want. My take is kid has not played in a complex offense. His learning curve might be steep. Added to his fundamentals his recruitment is a head scratcher as the starter necessary for a 3 peat. We get a visit from Cliff or Ballo I’ll change my position.

It’s not his fault he didn’t play in a complex offense it’s Howards. We all hear about the certain type of players Danny and his staff look for to fit the culture they’ve built. He averaged 9/7 on a crap team my guess is they see something that potentially is a fit. He may take the visit and they may hold off to let others visit who knows. I do know if he visits and they offer they’re sure he’s going to be a better player under their tutelage and an excellent teammate.

Reaction Score
This is always a factor to consider.

His play-style does also complement Samson's. He's big and strong and physical. A bit more below the rim and a great rebounder.
Good Eval. He will also have 2-3 years of eligibility to grow in our specific offense.

Reaction Score
Watching some Michigan for Reed. We're so spoiled. I'm going to have to take a shower.

This is disgusting. (Note Reed is the rebounder, not the shooter).
Michigan-vs-Indiana-2023125-NCAAB-Game.gif

There was one possession inbetween these
Michigan-vs-Indiana-2023125-NCAAB-Game-1.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watching some Michigan for Reed. We're so spoiled. I'm going to have to take a shower.

This is disgusting. (Note Reed is the rebounder, not the shooter).
Michigan-vs-Indiana-2023125-NCAAB-Game.gif

There was one possession inbetween these
Michigan-vs-Indiana-2023125-NCAAB-Game-1.gif

I did some digging earlier. It's shocking how bad their offense was. Coach just lets them get away with ineffecient, selfish crap.

Reaction Score
I get the impression theydon’t want to appear to be recruiting over Samson. This seems to be a complementary player who has muscle to play against more physical centers.
Well if they want to win another Championship They will have to recruit over Samson. He is a great backup but to start he is going to need 3 or 4 inches and another 30 lbs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This kid may well be a talent but I don't believe we can get a clear read on him from film and stats from his play for Michigan. Most of his games were against Big10 schools. It isn't like he was facing top level competition.

Reaction Score
Just can’t believe people think we’re purposely going after backups rather than starters so we don’t hurt Samson’s feelings.
Yep your right. People on this site make me laugh sometimes with some of their comments. You must recruit the best available if you want to stay on top. I think Samson knows he is not big enough right now to be our starter. He wants to win another championship.

Reaction Score
No, he needs to develop his skills and get reps. His quickness with his size his best quality. He shouldnt be playing the 5.
Well, he's not going to be playing the 4 unless he can shoot the 3 at a 35% clip.

Reaction Score
Free throws and 3 point shots are not at all the same. Even with that he’s hasn’t shown a 3 point shot at all
That's just not the offense we run. We run constant movement so that we get as many shot options in the shot clock as imaginable to our 1-4's or a good pick and roll option to our 5 or dump down low. Shooters shoot and our PF/C (5) cleans up down low and keeps their offense to the high FG% options.

Reaction Score
This one doesn’t make sense to me if we have our pick of the litter. His turnover % is insane, 22%! he does not have the best hands. Maybe Hurley feels we needs some girth/rebounding/toughness inside he takes up a ton of space laterally with his broad shoulders and long arms. This the 3rd 6’9ish broad shouldered 4/5 we’ve been linked to.
Look at the coaching that he probably received in Michigans "Go out and just get it done" Offense. A year under UCOnn tutelage and he could be all-conference. Remember he averaged close to 10/8.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
They are clearly recruiting over Samson. Reed Jr. is being recruited as a starting center and that should come as a surprise to no one.

Samson will stay and be a candidate for 6th-man of the year if he keeps his improving. We need a starting big.
You don’t have to respond to every post where Samson is mentioned. We all know your feelings on the young man by now. Maybe sit a couple out just to mix it up.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Look at the coaching that he probably received in Michigans "Go out and just get it done" Offense. A year under UCOnn tutelage and he could be all-conference. Remember he averaged close to 10/8.
This is very true. Howard is good at attracting talent but not good at coaching or developing. He’d probably be a stud here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It’s not his fault he didn’t play in a complex offense it’s Howards. We all hear about the certain type of players Danny and his staff look for to fit the culture they’ve built. He averaged 9/7 on a crap team my guess is they see something that potentially is a fit. He may take the visit and they may hold off to let others visit who knows. I do know if he visits and they offer they’re sure he’s going to be a better player under their tutelage and an excellent teammate.
Why wouldn’t they recruit over Samson? We’re trying to win games, not collect friendship bracelets. Samson will get an opportunity to win a starting job. That’s all he can ask for. If he thinks he automatically wins a starting job due to seniority, then I don’t know what team he’s been playing on.
I do not know if the coaches agree with your assessment that we have to recruit over Johnson. I understand your positions and my position is he is not a Slamson Dunk for the starting role.

If it was Ballo or Cliff coming for an interview this weekend then that would be overwhelming evidence that Samson is being recruited over. I have no problem with that. I never defended Samson in the manner you posit nomar. I just don't see how we can get a read on Reed from the information we have about him. My take from that information is he's just as likely to be a backup as the starter. I have as much question about him as Samson.

Reaction Score
So was Sanogo
I would consider sanogo the exception not the rule with big men. A brick wall with incredible footwork, incredible motor, and incredibly tough…..you see similarities in their game?

caw

Reaction Score
3 or 4 inches? You think 7'2" centers are the norm? Weight is definitely needed but Samson is more than tall and long enough for C

15 lbs to get up to what Oso weighed (guess and not easy with his body type) and stop reaching on defense and setting moving picks and he would be decent as a starter.

Offensively he’s fine as a center. He makes good passes, cuts well, mostly sets good screens, and plays well on the PnR.

Defensively he actually does really well in the high hedge. It’s mainly his post defense that is the issue. He gets abused down there against any good post center. And that is mostly due to his weight and strength. This includes rebounding, though he does box out he gets muscled.

In the end, he’s a tall four masquerading as a center and actually doing fairly well. He will need a lot of improvement on the court if he wants to be the starting center on a team with championship aspirations. It’s possible.

Reaction Score
There is no big man in the world outside of Jokic who could look even decent w/ a bad coach and no guards.

Reed has great size and close to elite feel -- sets good screens (could & will improve) and is a very, very good passer. Not a quick jumper so he's not an excellent finisher around the rim, but he's still very good.

Very good but not elite paint protector. Excellent 1v1 post defender and very good pick & roll defender.

Basically a poor man's version of Clingan. I don't think we reasonably could've asked for me.
Sounds like more sanogo than Clingan. Ok. Let’s sign him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom