2024 QB Commit Cole Welliver- Most Accurate QB In TX | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 QB Commit Cole Welliver- Most Accurate QB In TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this has been touched on in a few ways. Here is my take at least. Mora is still Jim Mora. That counts for something. The kid is at a smaller school. So it is harder to truly evaluate him. I also think that a 3-star kid who goes to aP4 is going with the intent that he will A. Redshirt as a true freshman; B. Get a starting opportunity as a Redshirt Freshman or as a sophomore. But in the portal era, it is much more likely that the next starter will be a junior transfer from somewhere else than that you’ll work your way into the job. At UConn you might get a shot on Day 1 but even if you don’t, you could well be the guy in year 2 or 3 because we will have a tougher time landing the proven guy from the portal. And as people have pointed out, if you are terrific, you’ve got a chance to be one of those portal guys at a P4 school.

Reaction Score
Suffice it to say that each college athlete is ALWAYS considering his options these days. They will always take the path they think gets them the fastest development, most visibility, and most money. That is just the way it is now.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
hey all,

please help me understand, and pardon my skepticism but as fellow uconn fans you can surely understand my hesitation here.
Can someone summarize cleanly why Cole Welliver is coming to our humble school?

Something doesn't add up for me - if he's as good as we claim/hope, surely he can land a spot and compete for starting role at a P4, which is all we're promising him anyway.
There's a very slight possibility he has dain bramage and thinks that Mora is still in the PAC and that he'll be playing for the Washington Huskies. Barring that explanation, if he gets us bowling, so be it. I don't see it with our OC, but did anyone think we'd go bowling last year with a freshman backup QB? He can save his body playing behind our decent O-line then bolt for big money later with less injury.

Reaction Score
Dying to get a glimpse of him in a game. It looks like he’s got a canon for an arm. Throws a perfect ball in practice.
And so far no talk of moving on. Got in a true redshirt development year. Got some coaching, put on some muscle mass, got used to the speed at which he will have to run through his progressions, get the ball out quickly, and the scramble or step up in the pocket decision. I agree, next year he may get to mount a real challenge.

Reaction Score
And so far no talk of moving on. Got in a true redshirt development year. Got some coaching, put on some muscle mass, got used to the speed at which he will have to run through his progressions, get the ball out quickly, and the scramble or step up in the pocket decision. I agree, next year he may get to mount a real challenge.
How well did he move around the pocket and run the ball in HS? Does anyone use the term scramble anymore(ie Fran Tarkenton)

Reaction Score
hey all,

please help me understand, and pardon my skepticism but as fellow uconn fans you can surely understand my hesitation here.
Can someone summarize cleanly why Cole Welliver is coming to our humble school?

Something doesn't add up for me - if he's as good as we claim/hope, surely he can land a spot and compete for starting role at a P4, which is all we're promising him anyway.

His numbers are impressive for sure. So why UConn? I dont' mean to be offensive, but honestly it just doesn't make sense. I find it hard to buy into the stats and hype, if the market didn't scoop him up before uconn. ESPECIALLY in a post-NIL era where financially we are severely outmatched now, and probably well into the future.

I feel like a kid of this supposed caliber would want to see a clear (albeit theoretical) path to the expanded 12-team CFP, via conference crown or top-tier Strength of schedule and subsequent performance (eg. ohio state/oregon in 2023)

did the p4 coaches see things (bad things) that we don't?
etc. etc.

alsoooo - any chance we can get jason witten to come up to storrs? lol
His offers to Arizona St, Colorado, and Wash St were from 2020 so those offers were essentially pulled after those schools changed coaching staffs. No P5 offers in the last 2 years so UConn was arguably the best offer available to him.

Reaction Score
How well did he move around the pocket and run the ball in HS? Does anyone use the term scramble anymore(ie Fran Tarkenton)
Ah, the nomenclature police. My apologies. Written in haste.

Reaction Score
Speaking of compete, the dual threat QB from Mass., Tucker Mcdonald, has there been any word on his progress.
I have not heard much about his development. I did hear from a guy I know who coaches at a lower level college program that McDonald is a legit FBS quarterback. His comment was he needed some “polish” but had all the tools.

Reaction Score
Dying to get a glimpse of him in a game. It looks like he’s got a canon for an arm. Throws a perfect ball in practice.
You and me both. Why Mora didn’t open up the QB competition a bit more as our collective ship started sinking is beyond me.

Would have loved to see Tucker play a couple halves and or Zion Turner.

Sticking w/ Roberson for nearly every single snap cost us some opportunities to evaluate other QBs.

Reaction Score

Obviously high school stats and recruiting ratings don't always translate to the next level, but if I were to put more weight in one over the other it would be the rating. He is only a 3 star. How many 3 star high school freshman QB's come out of high school and start for a P4 team? Gotta think it is rare.

Obviously we are excited to get a solid 3 star QB but you may be over hyping his abilities based on his ratings. Remember, his HS stats and accolades are at his district and school classification level. Not the entire state of Texas...

And to put it in perspective, Zion Turner was rated higher than Welliver.
Who knows how he'll turn out but, remember, Carson Wentz was unrated (by 247) out of high school and Russell Wilson was an undersized 2 star.
Some question the level at which he competed in high school so we'll just have to wait and see how he does.......but he's been successful academically and athletically, has skills and size, and may be looking for the chance to play sooner than later and learn under a former NFL head coach, so let's give him a chance to show what he can do here before we write him off.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's a 3 star and his only P4 offers are Arizona State and Colorado. As others have said above, he may have higher aspirations than either of those schools. I see a couple of benefits to UConn for him:

1. Access to quick playing time to showcase his skills to big time programs.

2. Our schedule. He can showcase his abilities against some top P4 teams, while also racking up stats against some scrubs. If/when he enters the portal, coaches will initially see his beefed up stats from the UMass et al games, and be able to watch tape of him playing Tennessee or whoever.

At Arizona State or Colorado he may not get the chance to play (if at all) until he's a junior or senior. Then, if he does play, he's on a roster with a schedule where every single game he's getting beat up on by P4 opponents. UConn offers the chance to stat pad against lower quality opponents while keeping a few P4s on the schedule for tape.

I choose to believe this.

Reaction Score
I think he played a series at UMass. I was surprised it wasn't Zion.

Reaction Score
Who knows how he'll turn out but, remember, Carson Wentz was unrated (by 247) out of high school and Russell Wilson was an undersized 2 star.
Some question the level at which he competed in high school so we'll just have to wait and see how he does.......but he's been successful academically and athletically, has skills and size, and may be looking for the chance to play sooner than later and learn under a former NFL head coach, so let's give him a chance to show what he can do here before we write him off.
I wasn’t in any way saying he has no chance to be good. Nor was I saying I am not excited he is coming. I was only replying to the person who could not understand why he was playing here instead of competing for a P4 starting job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom