2024 QB Commit Cole Welliver- Most Accurate QB In TX | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 QB Commit Cole Welliver- Most Accurate QB In TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm nitpicking but for something this important you would think they could spell check official.
OR maybe we just change the way we spell offical. Stop nitpicking the young man is always right.

Reaction Score
Really hoping that thing is not actually signed after reading what happens if it is.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I like UConn for Cole - from his perspective. We’ve landed QB’s in the NFL - no superstars but ones that have made enough money to retire.

Our offensive line did a great job protecting the QB so he’s not coming into a meat grinder.

The bar is set so incredibly low that if he gets us back to 8-5 types of seasons he will be folk hero.

You know when Jolly left, I was less disappointed than others. I though he racked up lots of catches during games that has already been decided. Like Tennessee…. Yeah they were breaking out all the goods to lock down Jolly - n… o… t

And Jolly dropped a lot of passes when the catches really mattered. He wants to take a swipe at our program as he leaves, good, don’t let the door hit ya.

Cole coming should make recruiting better receivers / offense players much easier! It could be the one piece to turn this ship around. He is a our Cooper Flagg as far as I’m concerned!

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I like UConn for Cole - from his perspective. We’ve landed QB’s in the NFL - no superstars but ones that have made enough money to retire.

Our offensive line did a great job protecting the QB so he’s not coming into a meat grinder.

The bar is set so incredibly low that if he gets us back to 8-5 types of seasons he will be folk hero.

You know when Jolly left, I was less disappointed than others. I though he racked up lots of catches during games that has already been decided. Like Tennessee…. Yeah they were breaking out all the goods to lock down Jolly - n… o… t

And Jolly dropped a lot of passes when the catches really mattered. He wants to take a swipe at our program as he leaves, good, don’t let the door hit ya.

Cole coming should make recruiting better receivers / offense players much easier! It could be the one piece to turn this ship around. He is an our Cooper Flagg as far as I’m concerned!
What did Joly say?

Reaction Score
What did Joly say?
Something to the effect of we were losers by saying he wanted to go to play for “winners.“ Not exactly but that is what someone could reasonabley take from the comments.

And I liked him but read that, thought about the year he had and was like okay, go ahead dude hit the road. Many of us here overlooked all those dropped balls at key times of the game.

I would not have singled out Jolly as there were lots of receivers dropping balls but his comments made him seem like he was too good for our team.

IMO, he fit in perfectly.

Reaction Score
I don’t get it. What’s the catch. Seems too good to be true.
I think in the age of transfer portal the top teams might not be looking to develop a young QB when they can pick up a proven transfer instead. Welliver might realize he will get better early coaching/development (read: playing time) coming to Mora and then move onto a bigger team

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Welliver might realize he will get better early coaching/development (read: playing time) coming to Mora and then move onto a bigger team
This is what worries me. He may come for 1-2 seasons then leave during what could be his/ours breakout year. That's the new reality though with this amateur farm system we're heading towards. Those that stay may become the exception rather than the norm. Still, if he plays well and gets us bowling, we'll be seen as a good football program, and maybe that's enough to get us "promoted" into a bonafide football conference.

Reaction Score
This is what worries me. He may come for 1-2 seasons then leave during what could be his/ours breakout year. That's the new reality though with this amateur farm system we're heading towards. Those that stay may become the exception rather than the norm. Still, if he plays well and gets us bowling, we'll be seen as a good football program, and maybe that's enough to get us "promoted" into a bonafide football conference.
A bunch of kids coming here and having breakout years would be really nice. Not worried about that at all.

Reaction Score
If he plays well enough to be getting legit P5 interest as a QB then he'll be the best QB we've had in 20 years. I'd sign up for that right now

Reaction Score
He said he wanted to go somewhere that was not always in transition and that had some rivalries. Some people took that as some major swipe at the program, some people took it a kid talking in an interview explaining the realities of his move.
We switch jobs for better pay, work environment, more desirable location and better opportunities. There should be no hate for any kids in the portal for doing the same.

Reaction Score
hey all,

please help me understand, and pardon my skepticism but as fellow uconn fans you can surely understand my hesitation here.
Can someone summarize cleanly why Cole Welliver is coming to our humble school?

Something doesn't add up for me - if he's as good as we claim/hope, surely he can land a spot and compete for starting role at a P4, which is all we're promising him anyway.

His numbers are impressive for sure. So why UConn? I dont' mean to be offensive, but honestly it just doesn't make sense. I find it hard to buy into the stats and hype, if the market didn't scoop him up before uconn. ESPECIALLY in a post-NIL era where financially we are severely outmatched now, and probably well into the future.

I feel like a kid of this supposed caliber would want to see a clear (albeit theoretical) path to the expanded 12-team CFP, via conference crown or top-tier Strength of schedule and subsequent performance (eg. ohio state/oregon in 2023)

did the p4 coaches see things (bad things) that we don't?
etc. etc.

alsoooo - any chance we can get jason witten to come up to storrs? lol

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
hey all,

please help me understand, and pardon my skepticism but as fellow uconn fans you can surely understand my hesitation here.

Something doesn't add up for me - if he's as good as we claim/hope, surely he can land a spot and compete for starting role at a P4, which is all we're promising him anyway.

His numbers are impressive for sure. So why UConn? I dont' mean to be offensive, but honestly it just doesn't make sense. I find it hard to buy into the stats and hype, if the market didn't scoop him up before uconn. ESPECIALLY in a post-NIL era where financially we are severely outmatched now, and probably well into the future.

I feel like a kid of this supposed caliber would want to see a clear (albeit theoretical) path to the expanded 12-team CFP, via conference crown or top-tier Strength of schedule and subsequent performance (eg. ohio state/oregon in 2023)

etc. etc.

Dan Orlovsky came here when we were in trailers and could have gone to Purdue. He did it because he wanted to build something. Some kids like school, staff and want to put their stamp on a program. Others go for the bag.

Reaction Score
hey all,

etc. etc.

He's a 3 star and his only P4 offers are Arizona State and Colorado. As others have said above, he may have higher aspirations than either of those schools. I see a couple of benefits to UConn for him:

1. Access to quick playing time to showcase his skills to big time programs.

2. Our schedule. He can showcase his abilities against some top P4 teams, while also racking up stats against some scrubs. If/when he enters the portal, coaches will initially see his beefed up stats from the UMass et al games, and be able to watch tape of him playing Tennessee or whoever.

At Arizona State or Colorado he may not get the chance to play (if at all) until he's a junior or senior. Then, if he does play, he's on a roster with a schedule where every single game he's getting beat up on by P4 opponents. UConn offers the chance to stat pad against lower quality opponents while keeping a few P4s on the schedule for tape.

Reaction Score
if he's as good as we claim/hope, surely he can land a spot and compete for starting role at a P4, which is all we're promising him anyway.
Obviously high school stats and recruiting ratings don't always translate to the next level, but if I were to put more weight in one over the other it would be the rating. He is only a 3 star. How many 3 star high school freshman QB's come out of high school and start for a P4 team? Gotta think it is rare.

Obviously we are excited to get a solid 3 star QB but you may be over hyping his abilities based on his ratings. Remember, his HS stats and accolades are at his district and school classification level. Not the entire state of Texas...

And to put it in perspective, Zion Turner was rated higher than Welliver.

Reaction Score
Money and chance to be a franchise player would be my guess. Others may like him but he isn’t their first choice.

Reaction Score
Welliver played at a school in D2 of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS). He didn’t play against the big public high schools with their professional looking stadiums. TAPPS has 230 members across 6 divisions so his accomplishments were compared to 40 or so similarly sized private school competitors. His school has about 1,000 students from preschool to 12, so his class is probably no bigger than 100 or so - a small school.

Does this mean he can or can’t play at a high D1 level? No. But it means his competition was limited so the P4 programs would have to project his skills even more than with those kids from the big Texas schools. You can bet some will be watching to see how he does at little ‘ole Connecticut in case they need a QB in the future. That’s the modern professional college football……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom