2023 UConn in the WNBA (tracker) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 UConn in the WNBA (tracker)

Reaction Score
The only person who would argue that Stanford should also claim Maya Dodson is DiJonai Carrington. I cannot believe that nobody made it clear to her after this controversy last season that pretty much everyone would clown any school with any kind of reputation for having WNBA players that would claim their outgoing transfers, regardless of how many seasons they played there. It is understandable that Fairfield would claim some credit for Lou and that Princeton would keep cheering on Abby Meyers since she could not have returned if she wanted to do so.

We will know whether she has no path to the WNBA this season after Saturday's game, which her team must win by more than 13 points in order to advance and trigger her WNBA Prioritization ineligibility She and Seattle are both on the same page in terms of trying to work it out if the league does not punish her. She would be able to sign immediately, but would be fined 14% of her salary by the league. She would then also have a decision about whether she wants to play at all this season as some activities with the French national team before June 1st would also cause her to be ineligible to be signed.

If anyone is trying to find out which players are affected by this new rule, I am going to update this list all season long:
Surprising to me, with Lyon you name Sandrine Gruda whose WNBA years are probably finished but don't name Marine Johannes

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Active UConn players as of today (KLS on maternity leave):
1. Napheesa Collier (Lynx)
2. Crystal Dangerfield (Wings)
3. Stefanie Dolson (Liberty)
4. Tiffany Hayes (Sun)
5. Moriah Jefferson (Mercury)
6. Dorka Juhász (Lynx)
7. Lou Lopez Sénéchal (Wings)
8. Olivia Nelson-Ododa (Mon)
9. Kia Nurse (Storm)
10. Azurá Stevens (Sparks)
11. Breanna Stewart (Liberty)
12. Kiah Stokes (Aces)
13. Diana Taurasi (Mercury)
14. Evina Westbrook (Mercury)

Reaction Score
Surprising to me, with Lyon you name Sandrine Gruda whose WNBA years are probably finished but don't name Marine Johannes
The league (theoretically) only considers Johannes to have 2 years of service, although she could successfully argue that down further, so she is not subject to any of the provisions of WNBA prioritization, either in terms of club or national team play. Obviously, most of the players who are about to be ineligible to sign for the upcoming season would not have actual interest from WNBA teams, but I think that it is still important to measure the total impact of the new rules.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After a bit of research, ND currently has 10-11 (to be explained) players on WNBA rosters.
1) Arike Ogunbowale - Dallas
2) Marina Mabrey - Chicago
3) Skylar Diggins-Smith - Phoenix (on maternity leave)
4) Brianna Turner - Phoenix
5) Jewell Loyd - Seattle
6) Jackie Young - Las Vegas
and a slew of Lynx
7) Kayla McBride - Minnesota
8) LIndsey Allen - Minnesota
9) Natalie Achonwa - Minnesota (on pregnancy leave)
10) Jessica Shepard - Minnesota
11) Maya Dodson - Minnesota (could argue Stanford/ND. Still trying to make Minnesota roster)

Dodson didn't make it.

I want to see what a healthy Jess Shepard can do. I think she could be effective with Phee and Dorka.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How many former SC players are in the league? Coates was waived. So was Beal. So was Hennie.

Off the top of my head:

Wilson
Mitchell
Boston
Saxton
Amihere
Cooke

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dodson didn't make it.

I want to see what a healthy Jess Shepard can do. I think she could be effective with Phee and Dorka.
I thought that was going to be a tough go for Maya Dodson. Dorka Juhasz and Jess Shepard are both taller and more versatile. Dodson's come a long way, but she didn't have a medium-range jumper her year at ND, which Dorka and Shep have in their took kits.

It's been awhile, but Phee and Shep interact well on court. Heck, I seem to recall them joking about knowing each other since various U.S.A. events.

So, ND has 10 alums on Opening Day Rosters, second to UConn.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
How many former SC players are in the league? Coates was waived. So was Beal. So was Hennie.

Off the top of my head:

Wilson
Mitchell
Boston
Saxton
Amihere
Cooke
Allisha Gray? Spent first two years at UNC, but went to South Carolina and won a NC.

Reaction Score
Does a player like Charli Collier if she goes to UConn end up being a decent WNBA player rather than getting waived. Coach Auriemma clearly makes some difference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Allisha Gray? Spent first two years at UNC, but went to South Carolina and won a NC.

I knew about Gray, but forgot to list her. I also forgot about Ty Harris.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Gabby might be on the way to Seattle -

"It’s believed Williams terminated her contract and played her final game Wednesday with her French team ASVEL, which has a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three league finals. Game 2 is Saturday."

Reaction Score
Gabby might be on the way to Seattle -

"It’s believed Williams terminated her contract and played her final game Wednesday with her French team ASVEL, which has a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three league finals. Game 2 is Saturday."
Suffering through another concussion (May 9) and upon recovery, she played Game 1 but did not Game 2; I am quite certain that Tony Parker/the Team took this into consideration and produced a documentation of this contract termination. They won Game 2 without her after losing Game 1. Deciding game to be played but she won't be playing. I think she and Parker may have decided that it's for the best for both ASVEL and the French National Team for her to continue developing in the WNBA. If the WNBA accepts this and grants grace for delayed travel because of post-concussion recovery, then Seattle will get her back. It would be a shame if the WNBA does not allow it.

Marine Johannes doesn't have the same problem as Gabby because she hasn't played enough years in the WNBA. I think that applies to Julie Allemand as well. They can join their WNBA teams without a hurdle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom