2023 New school commitments by Transfers | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2023 New school commitments by Transfers

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As rumored..

A few reactions, both as a WBB enthusiast and as an ND fan:

- I remember that for the last few years, more than a few recruiting observers were noting how often UCLA was popping up on non-West Coast prospects' top Ten, then Top Five lists. It perplexed more than a few posters (hello, @DefenseBB ) , but it was there.

- Now, she's got Kiki Rice in the backcourt, Kendall Dudley coming and Lauren Betts in the middle. What changed? NIL? UCLA joining the B1G? A perceived shift in West Coast hoops? Don't know, but she's staring to get players.

- One reason might be is Betts knew Close from the U.S.A. u-19 team and enjoyed that experience.

- On the other hand, UCLA does have a number of other frontcourt players, as well, from Emily Bessoir and Angela Dugalic to incoming frosh Amanda Muse. Sure, Betts should probably be thought of as a person that will get lots of minutes, but she played less than 10 mpg for Stanford. Flipping that, will a number of those other posts now exit Westwood?

- It was hinted that Lauren Betts was interested in West Coast schools yesterday in a local South Bend paper. Plus, with Anna DeWolfe's commitment, it became apparent Betts had never ventured east to South Bend. So, hopes, while dashed, were never at the point of "will she or won't she?"

- Niele might have another center in mind (Lauren Ware, Nerea Hermosa for a year), or a tough forward? Or she might think Nat Marshall is finally back at full strength and will go wih she and Kylee Watson, with Maddy Westbeld at forward. Stay tuned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

This is Hansen's third school: she's doing a roundabout from Long Island south to Auburn, west north west to Missouri and now east north east to Michigan. She attended Ward Melville High School in Suffolk County, Long Island and I saw her play once against then ND-prospect Danielle Cosgrove. Think of her as a Michelle Sidor replacement; albeit one who has played a bunch more. Barnes-Arrico probably knew of Hansen via her Long Island contacts.

Reaction Score

This is Hansen's third school: she's doing a roundabout from Long Island south to Auburn, west north west to Missouri and now east north east to Michigan. She attended Ward Melville High School in Suffolk County, Long Island and I saw her play once against then ND-prospect Danielle Cosgrove. Think of her as a Michelle Sidor replacement; albeit one who has played a bunch more. Barnes-Arrico probably knew of Hansen via her Long Island contacts.

Thats actually a nice pickup for Michigan. I think she will do well there

Reaction Score
I also think it would have been a very different conversation we are having re Lou at Uconn if Uconn wasn't wracked with injuries over the summer and through the season - she still would have shown her game and likely would have been in a draft pick conversation, but her minutes and national profile would have been reduced with Paige on the court and a fully healthy Azzi and Caroline. ND depending on the speed of recovery, might be a spot college spot with a similar early window to shine, a lot of other schools not so much.
Geno has said when he saw Lou the first day of practice he wondered who wouldn't be starting?
Geno knew she could play from the start, just not how c good she would become.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Land Grant Lover
The only transfer out that I'm happy to see go. I get that she was a good defender. But the other teams ultimately slacked off her when we were on offense and, with a couple of game exceptions, she was an offensive waste.

Very happy Gilbert and Martinez stepped back from the portal, I admit I am bummed about Ware and Clark transferring. Nothing local ever came out about why Ware made the decision, Clark I'm sure was not liking the way she was handled on the court, playing time especially. Conner I understood, as she was put in a very difficult position and actually was more inconsistent than it seemed.

Reaction Score
The only transfer out that I'm happy to see go. I get that she was a good defender. But the other teams ultimately slacked off her when we were on offense and, with a couple of game exceptions, she was an offensive waste.

Very happy Gilbert and Martinez stepped back from the portal, I admit I am bummed about Ware and Clark transferring. Nothing local ever came out about why Ware made the decision, Clark I'm sure was not liking the way she was handled on the court, playing time especially. Conner I understood, as she was put in a very difficult position and actually was more inconsistent than it seemed.
I'm optimistic about AZ. They have some good young talent in Nnaji and Cunningham is coming as is Jada Williams. I am very interested to see what they can accomplish this year.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Called it! That's three players on one HS team going to the same college (the sisters and Rashunda Jones).
You and MPG, the local sage of McGraw's Bench who happens to live in South Bend is very familiar with Washington HS. Now, about that youngest sister...;)

Reaction Score
Hopefully, the hammer is working better at Purdue. She was not very good at Maryland.

With the 2023 class coming in, she obviously saw the writing on the wall. Considering she was in the top 100 ranking for the ESPN, I'm somewhat surprised she couldn't earn more than 5 minutes a game in the ones she played.

Reaction Score
With the 2023 class coming in, she obviously saw the writing on the wall. Considering she was in the top 100 ranking for the ESPN, I'm somewhat surprised she couldn't earn more than 5 minutes a game in the ones she played.
She was really slow & not really able to provide quality minutes when she was in. I’ll be interested to see how she does at Purdue.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Fordham Transfer heads west on Route 80 ...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Congrats to Celeste.

Contrary to what some were predicting, Celeste following the Duke assistant coach to South Carolina just didn't make much sense to me as her stats pretty much stayed stagnant from one season ago to this past season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom