2023 New school commitments by Transfers | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2023 New school commitments by Transfers

Reaction Score
Color me skeptical on these mid-major players having a big impact on programs that want to be elite. For every Lou Lopez-Senechal, there are 20 Evelyn Adebayo's and Nathalie Butler's who don't move the needle at all. I am not saying she won't have a role but to think she puts Baylor right back into the Big12 contention and becomes more relevant on a national scale is sheer poppycock.
Heck, Shaylee Gonzales was much more heralded from BYU to Texas and while Texas did win the Big 12 Regular season Title her stats were paltry to last year (12.7 points to 17.7, 2.67 APG to 4.1, 6.4 steals per game to 1.56) and Texas fizzled on national level.

My thinking is Baylor is still 3rd in the B12 next year behind Texas and Oklahoma.
Bartley is a good player but Nicki Collen did not bring her in with idea she would be super star and have a major impact this season. With Ajiah Blackwell, Dre Edwards, Sarah Andrews and two very talented freshmen returning I doubt that Bartley will even start. She will provide some good minutes but not lead Baylor to Big 12 championship.

Reaction Score
It’s going to be interesting to see how the Tex/Ok to SEC affects recruiting in the states of Oklahoma and Texas going forward. Three SEC schools and Mulkey competing against a very diluted Big12. Texas always produces top 100 prospects and Oklahoma looks loaded for 2025.

Reaction Score
Bartley is a good player but Nicki Collen did not bring her in with idea she would be super star and have a major impact this season. With Ajiah Blackwell, Dre Edwards, Sarah Andrews and two very talented freshmen returning I doubt that Bartley will even start. She will provide some good minutes but not lead Baylor to Big 12 championship.
What’s the story on Dre Edwards? I knew she transferred from Kentucky after that winning shot in the 21-22 SEC Tournament, but thought she was a Senior then. I didn’t see her this past year, but the statement above indicates that she’s got at least one more playing, college year.

Reaction Score
She had to sit out a year bc it was her 2nd transfer and she was not a grad. Baylor wanted Elzy to sign a statement that basically said if she stayed at UK she would not have played. That would have made Edwards immediately eligible but Elzy said she wouldn’t sign bc that wasn’t true. It got ugly on social media

Reaction Score
She had to sit out a year bc it was her 2nd transfer and she was not a grad. Baylor wanted Elzy to sign a statement that basically said if she stayed at UK she would not have played. That would have made Edwards immediately eligible but Elzy said she wouldn’t sign bc that wasn’t true. It got ugly on social media
Was it Baylor who pushed for it or Edwards herself? I’m sure Collen would have liked to have her eligible to play, of course. But I wasn’t aware she’d been the one pushing for a false statement from Elzy. Afterwards, the only person who seemed to be complaining about it was Edwards. Was Collen also complaining on social media?

Also, I was under the impression such statements are necessary to waive the year off for second transfers. Was this always the rule — namely a statement that a player had no chance to play and not just a blank waiver from the coach — and has it changed recently?

Reaction Score
I don’t know all the details but I do believe baylors coach mentioned in a press conference that the waiver wasn’t signed. I have no idea who pushed it. It was Edwards and her family that made it ugly on social media.

Reaction Score
Here’s an article about it ….
Interesting article! It seems like a very murky situation. Was it the norm for coaches to rubber stamp waivers for outgoing transfers? Or were older waiver rules simply different and didn't require naming a justification for the waiver? Is this what Collen was referring to when she warned Edward of a "worst case scenario," namely one in which Elzy wouldn't go along with the rubber stamp?

There's a lot to think about here. I'd like to imagine Collen wasn't pressuring another coach to falsify something, even if she'd have liked it if she had. Geno faced a similar situation with Evina and I don't recall any public comments of his about it at the time. Subsequently, he has hinted at some sort of turmoil at Tennessee over her transfer. I say I'd like to think the best of Collen, in part because I like her coaching style, the way she manages kids, and the culture she built at Baylor after Kim's departure. But also in part because I wonder if she isn't a possible candidate to take over at UConn in some very distant future.

Reaction Score
I can see both sides of the Edwards situation and I do wonder if this is the waiver that all coaches sign and just overlook the “no chance to play” portion. If do, Elzy should have just signed it. If that statement is somewhat new then Elzy had every right not to sign it.
I feel like Elzy was somewhat blindsided by Edwards transfer and probably was somewhat bitter about it.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It’s going to be interesting to see how the Tex/Ok to SEC affects recruiting in the states of Oklahoma and Texas going forward. Three SEC schools and Mulkey competing against a very diluted Big12. Texas always produces top 100 prospects and Oklahoma looks loaded for 2025.
Does Kelsey Bone remain the lone player out of Texas signed by Staley? That did not turn out all that well.

I thought for sure Dawn had secured Nalyssa Smith (based on social media). But, you can never count out Kim when she gets the last official visit.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
My thinking is Baylor is still 3rd in the B12 next year behind Texas and Oklahoma.
Oklahoma loses Madi Williams and Taylor Robertson and nearly 30 points a game. No way they are above Baylor, IMO, unless they have some incoming players/transfers I don't know about.

Reaction Score
The Edwards transfer saga was discussed quite some time ago in a different thread. Why is this coming up again?
My apologies for stirring up old wounds! I just asked a simple question about Edwards because I’d not seen or heard about her this past season. And I‘d honestly forgotten about her until I read the message I responded to. However, it was a very simple question from me, nothing more than that. End of story!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
But, she already sat out one year at Kentucky after transferring from Utah. That was before the one-time transfer exception became a thing, and provided immediate eligibility. So, Edwards ended up sitting out 2 seasons now.

When Aliyah Matharu left Miss. State after 2 seasons and transferred to Texas, she was eligible immediately. After one season at Texas, she transferred to Florida but not as a graduate-transfer. So, since she already used her one-time transfer exception, she had to sit out this past season at Florida. Nobody at Florida made a stink about it; nobody indicated that Texas did anything salty to prevent her from playing immediately at UF. Those are the rules.

Reaction Score
My apologies for stirring up old wounds! I just asked a simple question about Edwards because I’d not seen or heard about her this past season. And I‘d honestly forgotten about her until I read the message I responded to. However, it was a very simple question from me, nothing more than that. End of story!

Nothing about wounds, but when it was discussed previously, it turned into a lengthy debate. Follow up responses were starting to go in that direction.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I can see both sides of the Edwards situation and I do wonder if this is the waiver that all coaches sign and just overlook the “no chance to play” portion. If do, Elzy should have just signed it. If that statement is somewhat new then Elzy had every right not to sign it.
I feel like Elzy was somewhat blindsided by Edwards transfer and probably was somewhat bitter about it.
Just to be up-to-date I am 99% sure that with their new "2nd transfer" rules, the NCAA eliminated this whole issue entirely. Largely, 2nd transfers opportunities for a waiver / chance not to sit out will be extremely limited in the future.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
But, she already sat out one year at Kentucky after transferring from Utah. That was before the one-time transfer exception became a thing, and provided immediate eligibility. So, Edwards ended up sitting out 2 seasons now.

When Aliyah Matharu left Miss. State after 2 seasons and transferred to Texas, she was eligible immediately. After one season at Texas, she transferred to Florida but not as a graduate-transfer. So, since she already used her one-time transfer exception, she had to sit out this past season at Florida. Nobody at Florida made a stink about it; nobody indicated that Texas did anything salty to prevent her from playing immediately at UF. Those are the rules.
To be fair, there were a lot of loop-holes. As I just noted in the previous post, this is an area the NCAA cleaned up.

Reaction Score
Does Kelsey Bone remain the lone player out of Texas signed by Staley? That did not turn out all that well.

I thought for sure Dawn had secured Nalyssa Smith (based on social media). But, you can never count out Kim when she gets the last official visit.
Kelsey was 2nd team All-SEC and SEC FOY the one year she was at SC but left citing home sickness. SC was in the tournament Sweet 16 a couple seasons after she left so it worked out fine after that blip.

Recruiting high school recruits still remains elusive for Dawn in Texas/southwest and pacific areas of the country despite her efforts. Early in her tenure, there were some 3 star level talent from that TX/LA/OK region who played big roles in her rebuild of the program but no one of note since.

Reaction Score
Kelsey was 2nd team All-SEC and SEC FOY the one year she was at SC but left citing home sickness. SC was in the tournament Sweet 16 a couple seasons after she left so it worked out fine after that blip.

Recruiting high school recruits still remains elusive for Dawn in Texas/southwest and pacific areas of the country despite her efforts. Early in her tenure, there were some 3 star level talent from that TX/LA/OK region who played big roles in her rebuild of the program but no one of note since.
Pretty sure Coach Gandy will be a big help with that. Probably part of the reason why Dawn went after him so hard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom