2023 New school commitments by Transfers | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2023 New school commitments by Transfers

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Indya Nivar commits to UNC. Seems like they have a lot of guards but hope it works out for her

Well, I guess you can look at it as:
  • Nivar comes in for Eva Hodgson
  • Donarski will play the wing position for Todd-Williams.

However, you have to wonder how Paulina Paris and Kayla McPherson, who both played well for Courtney Banghart, feel about being "layered over" with transfers. And these two aren't going away after a year....

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

However, you have to wonder how Paulina Paris and Kayla McPherson, who both played well for Courtney Banghart, feel about being "layered over" with transfers. And these two aren't going away after a year....
Tara had said Nivar wanted to be closer to home, so this is likely one of the handful of programs where she could get some playing time and also a very good degree. But I think it was proximity rather than playing time that was apparently her main reason for transferring.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tara had said Nivar wanted to be closer to home, so this is likely one of the handful of programs where she could get great playing time and a very good degree. Playing time was apparently not her too concern in looking to transfer.
I know of a place that she could get playing time and a better degree that is also close to home. But since I was accused of being a very poor sport last week, so i won't comment any further.

Reaction Score

Touche. That is a good way to look at it. Donarski played alongside Emily Ryan so she was never really the solo point. Although she would bring the ball up and run offense at times. And she's 6ft so that makes sense to slot her at the wing But as mentioned they had two freshman at point guard last year. Both were pretty highly touted in high school, and had their moments last year. They also are bringing in a freshman point. So that's 4 point guards, with atleast 3 years eligibility, I think 3 of them were top 30 in their HS class. I could go on a rant about this but I won't.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think their starting lineup will be Lepolo, Jump. Demetre, Iriafen and Brink, which is still a solid group. Outside of them, they have a bunch of young guards/wings. Definitely won’t be as big as they’ve been losing Belibi, Betts, Jones and Prechtel.
Bosgana looked better than Demetre at times, I'd expect her to get plenty of PT next season.

Reaction Score
I think their starting lineup will be Lepolo, Jump. Demetre, Iriafen and Brink, which is still a solid group. Outside of them, they have a bunch of young guards/wings. Definitely won’t be as big as they’ve been losing Belibi, Betts, Jones and Prechtel.
… or as fast. I’m not sure this lineup even looks like a top 10 team.

Reaction Score
… or as fast. I’m not sure this lineup even looks like a top 10 team.
I'll have to disagree with this. Brink will be one of the top 5 players in the country this year as the focal point of the offense. I am a fan of Haley Jones, but I thought she slowed down the offense and disrupted spacing, particularly for Iriafen last year. Stanford can successfully utilize UConn's high/low set-up as Brink is comfortable offensively from the high post.

While losing Betts, Belibi and Prechtel hurts, they all came off the bench. Depth may be an issue this year, but I think Stanford will benefit without the incessant substitutions and the starting 5 has enough size.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan - you good? This good? Happy?

giphy.gif

Time to get out the Kale Salad and make a Acai+Spinach Smoothie.

Reaction Score
I'll have to disagree with this. Brink will be one of the top 5 players in the country this year as the focal point of the offense. I am a fan of Haley Jones, but I thought she slowed down the offense and disrupted spacing, particularly for Iriafen last year. Stanford can successfully utilize UConn's high/low set-up as Brink is comfortable offensively from the high post.

While losing Betts, Belibi and Prechtel hurts, they all came off the bench. Depth may be an issue this year, but I think Stanford will benefit without the incessant substitutions and the starting 5 has enough size.
You may be right. Brink certainly is top 5, even an NPOY contender. But the supporting cast just isn't as strong as it's been in previous seasons. Jump is a great shooter, and Demetre has looked promising at times as has Iriafen. I guess if they develop in the way one might hope, they can be a formidable team, but a lot has to break the right way for them. And I still worry that the main lineup will be slow. One positive sign is that Tara recruited Nunu Agara out of Hopkins HS, a former Paige teammate. This kid is very promising, the sort who can carry a team.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You may be right. Brink certainly is top 5, even an NPOY contender. But the supporting cast just isn't as strong as it's been in previous seasons. Jump is a great shooter, and Demetre has looked promising at times as has Iriafen. I guess if they develop in the way one might hope, they can be a formidable team, but a lot has to break the right way for them. And I still worry that the main lineup will be slow. One positive sign is that Tara recruited Nunu Agara out of Hopkins HS, a former Paige teammate. This kid is very promising, the sort who can carry a team.
I posted a SF Chronicle article regarding Stanford, Tara and the portal. One interesting comment was about the roster size and playing time:

"VanDerveer said Stanford will go with a 12-player roster next season, down from 15 this past season, in order to get everyone playing time, something she believed was a factor in losing players.

Going with the smaller roster is a risk; injuries would leave almost zero depth. Unable to field a roster big enough for intrasquad scrimmages, Stanford will use male practice players for the first time in recent memory."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This was the one I was looking for.... solid all around PG with THREE years of eligibility remaining.

giphy.gif

What no apple cider?

AIn't gonna lie, I pulled it out and thought long and hard about opening it, but Imma wait til the end of the portal cycle.... we still need a shooter and a post.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom