2023-2024 Minutes distribution | The Boneyard

2023-2024 Minutes distribution

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I envision something like the below. Ah, what could have been if Svet and Shea hadn’t gotten hurt :( I had forgotten that Ashley tore her ACL that year, too.

705E482B-C304-4ADB-AC08-A618D3129611.jpeg

Reaction Score
Right? Remeber that game against Georgia? WOW!

Is KJ the biggest 'what if' in UCONN history after EDD?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And JMoore redshirted (non injury). (Battle ended up as a redshirt after her injury)
Walters was also out that year. Last year she was with the team.

And Glenney and Clark had transferred out.

And yes, that 1st half of the Georgia game was something special.

Reaction Score
Nan has 237.5 minutes. If we use same calculation for this team for 237 I'd go

Paige/Azzi/Edwards 90 minutes
Ducharme 26 minutes
Nika/Griffin/Ice 63 minutes
KK/Ashley 24 minutes
Patterson/Jana/Amari 25 minutes (one of the 3 get double-digit minutes if not 2)
Q 5 minutes
Ines 4 minutes

Reaction Score
Do we really have so many great players in this 2001 class?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Ducharme 26 minutes
KK/Ashley 24 minutes
Patterson/Jana/Amari 25 minutes (one of the 3 get double-digit minutes if not 2)
Q 5 minutes
Ines 4 minutes
That’s the actual season box score from 2000-2001. I got it off the UConn athletic site. Cumulative Statistics (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics

Reaction Score
I've low-key been waiting for this thread. A boneyard summer tradition unlike any other. It's really tough this season to do this especially with 15 players.

PB - 28
Azzi- 28
NM- 26
AE - 26
Ice - 21
CD - 20
AG- 20
KK - 14
AP- 10
AD - 5
AS - 2

JAE, Ines, QS - will get minutes at some point but probably won't play in most games. Jana is so young but she's really talented. I'm not sure if she will be in front of Amari.

I know load management still needs to be proven and most of the injuries this past year were freakish but I do hope the depth of the team is utilized. Looking back at last year, Azzi and Nika were playing 38 plus minutes in the second game of the season. Of course Geno knows what he is doing tho.

Reaction Score
I remember minutes discussions two years ago. I also remember “never again” posts a year and half ago.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This team had the most talent in our history. The same 8 players that won the previous year plus a freshman named Taurasi. They blew a final 4 game to ND, but at that time Ralph and Abrosamova were on the bench with season ending injuries. BTW, they were both first team All Americans.

Reaction Score
My dream distribution:
PB - 25
Azzi- 25
NM- 25
AE - 25
CD - 15
AG- 15
Q - 10
AD - 10
AP- 10
JAE - 10
Inês- 10
Ice - 10
KK - 5
AS - 5

What Geno actually does:

PB - 40
Azzi- 40
NM- 30
AE - 40
CD - 20
AG- 20
AP- 10
Q - 0
AD -0
JAE - 0
Inês-0
Ice - 0
KK - 0
AS - 0

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no idea how the minutes will be distributed this season but given that special year, there were 11 players who would have averaged over 10 MPG had they all been healthy. It's not even like Geno needs to "learn a new trick".

If he has confidence in the players, they are good, and they show they deserve the minutes, they will play. I love that season that only 1 player averaged over 25 MPG, and it was Sue Bird at 27.5 MPG.

Also noteworthy is that 4 players averaged double digits in scoring with 2 others at 9.7 PPG or more. I think this years team will be higher scoring - altho 86.7 PPG is pretty high.

Reaction Score
I've low-key been waiting for this thread. A boneyard summer tradition unlike any other. It's really tough this season to do this especially with 15 players.

PB - 28
Azzi- 28
NM- 26
AE - 26
Ice - 21
CD - 20
AG- 20
KK - 14
AP- 10
AD - 5
AS - 2

JAE, Ines, QS - will get minutes at some point but probably won't play in most games. Jana is so young but she's really talented. I'm not sure if she will be in front of Amari.

I know load management still needs to be proven and most of the injuries this past year were freakish but I do hope the depth of the team is utilized. Looking back at last year, Azzi and Nika were playing 38 plus minutes in the second game of the season. Of course Geno knows what he is doing tho.
I’ll be shocked if Ashlynn only gets 2 minutes! Jana is also imo going to play consistently as well. Obviously, I cannot say how many minutes either will play but I’m convinced both will contribute this year. Ashlynn will play because she is extremely well prepared, tough, and fundamentally sound while Jana, I think, will push herself into the mix by sheer physical ability. I believe she is going to be a special player. I realize minutes are limited but I take Geno at his word that he will find a way to play anyone who forces him to.

Reaction Score

Ducharme 26 minutes
KK/Ashley 24 minutes
Q 5 minutes
Ines 4 minutes

The minutes average/game stat is what each player averaged in the games they played, not in all games.

Reaction Score
The minutes average/game stat is what each player averaged in the games they played, not in all games.
... but the total minutes is for the whole season, because the bottom line is 7,000, or 200 x 35

Reaction Score
... but the total minutes is for the whole season, because the bottom line is 7,000, or 200 x 35

Say a player is hurt in the 3rd game after playing 30 min/game. She misses the rest of the season. Her total minutes will say 90 and will be accurately reflected that way in the team totals. But her average minutes will say 30.0, not 90 divided by the 39 games the team played.

Reaction Score
Yes I know. So, the numbers Nan showed - shows a deep bench with none getting 30.. So, I calculated that to come up with something different than for example Sue Bird being highest at 27.5 mpg but I put possibly up to 3 getting more than Sue. I understand. This team could have starters like Paige and Azzi sit a game. Or in blowouts players such as freshman getting the doghouse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The numbers were skewed because most games were over by half-time and the starters played a couple of minutes in the 3rd quarter. The bench, when it came in, extended the leads, so they stayed in longer.
We can hope the situation is the same, but I foresee a more competitive season and the games will be closer.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I can go through this discussion again. Last year we had the same discussion and then all the injuries ended that.....

Reaction Score
If everyone is healthy:
Paige 30-35
Azzi 30-35
AE 30
Nika 30
AG 25
CD 20-25
Ice 15
Everyone else 15 if the game is not close.

Reaction Score
The best we can do is make our estimates assuming everyone is healthy for every game. Likely injuries, even if just minor ones will result in some bench players averaging a little more MPG because their role was expanded due to a player ahead of them being out. Even then I think you could look at this from three possible scenarios.

First is how the minutes would be distributed in a highly competitive game that we could lose. Geno has frequently shortened his rotation in the games that are at least somewhat in doubt. I have noticed that so far, most seem to believe that minimal rotation is at least 7, with the three obvious starters at the top in Paige, and Aaliyah, three more we are sure will be in the rotation, at least one of which will start from Nika, Caroline and Aubrey, and one additional big from Ice, Jana, and Ayanna, with Ice picked more than the others.

The next scenario is games against teams we are sure we will beat. Mostly part of the Big East schedule. In those kind of games, Geno is much more willing to go deeper on the bench developing players that could effectively move into the first group if injuries occur, or if they play well enough to warrant that status against even the top teams, expanding that rotation. If they do well they could also be deployed more if Geno is confident enough in this group to press and run more.

Assuming Ice is the other big that starts, that second group includes Jana, Ayanna, KK, and Ashlynn with their odds of getting into the big game rotation in that order, but I consider them all pretty close. While 7 might be the minimal rotation against the best teams, I think adding this second group to the first is pretty much the maximum rotation. Probably used regularly against mediocre competition with the possibility if the do well enough to be included in the "Big Game" rotation as well.

Then with a roster of 14 there is a third group that probably will see some minutes in most games, but be mostly mop up minutes at the tail end of decisive victories. I have Amari, Q, and Ines in that group. Nothing against any of them, but I don't see any bigs I think Amari is likely to move ahead of, the same for Q with the wings, and Ines with the guards. It is a numbers game and the competition is stiff. Amari probably has the best chance to move to the second group but it is hard to expect much based on what she has done in her first two years.

So I personally would like to see Geno have enough confidence to be able to use a big rotation against even the top teams, with players like Jana, Ayanna, KK and Ashlynn forcing Geno to include them for the big games because they earned it, and give him the option to pick up the pace and press more.

I think another comparison could be the last championship team in 2016. They went 10 deep on a regular basis. the bench included twi future WNBA stars in Pheesa and Gabby, a player who lasted a year in the league with Saniya, and one who was good enough to be drafted in Natalie. Even Courtney (#10) in that rotation after she transferred wound up being a starter in a Power 5 conference. We could have near that kind of talent on the bench, and better on the deep bench with Amari, Q and Ines vs. two walk-ons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom