Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our freshman pitchers looked better than the frosh that Stanford and Maryland ran out. I am confident in afthim, sully, cooke going forward. Even the lefty really showed something.

Most concerned about corner infield and outfield defense. A stud transfer pitcher would also help.
Put Morton in CF best arm , speed covers more , hitting …

Reaction Score
Who are we expecting to contribute the most out of the true freshmen? I’d think Ryan Daniels could push to maybe start at 3B and see some regular time. He seems to be coming in with the highest pedigree. But besides him I don’t have a great read on the class. Just from some browsing JJ Hood and Vandewater look promising on the mound.

And we’ll of course see what we can pull out of the transfer portal. Although I must admit to being a little nervous about losing people too, just a tiny bit. I do trust Penders and our culture implicitly, but I’m sure Creighton fans feel the same way about their program, yet Tebrake just turned mercenary and transferred to LSU.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
And with that, my interest (and the majority of the board's interest) in college baseball is back to zero.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think our boys lost to the 2022 National Champions. That lineup was vicious. Maybe the home field helped but those homers were huge.

That's what happened in 2011. I think we gave SC the one competitive game they had for the entire tournament

Kinda like the Twerps in 2002 in March Madness

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Obviously, the bottom of the fourth, fueled by two errors and one bad break, killed us

The one bad break? Runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs, batter pops up a bunt in foul territory, but Huskies had the wheel play on and the 3rd baseman overran the easy out. That may have resulted in a double play if he was playing back .

Then the inning got really ugly, and we're in a huge hole.

Oh well, it was a fun while it lasted

Reaction Score
From the February Florida trip, to Penders reprising his role as "Nanook of the North" for the home opener on March 8 vs. UHart, then out to California for a very successful March road trip, then back to the Northeast college baseball grind during the "cruelest month" and a very successful run through the Big East (save the Georgetown debacle weekend) to the great performance in the regionals and a near miss in the SR against a team that probably is the favorite to win it all; I'd say we did damn good! Hats off to Penders and the entire program. You did yourselves and us proud!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Only eight schools in all of D-1 went further than us this season. That warrants a tremendous amount of praise and these kids (coaching staff as well) deserve quite a bit of applause and gratitude from us.

It does sting that we did have it within our reach and that a few self inflicted wounds contributed to our demise. On that I feel far worse for the kids who have to live with this than I do for those of us (myself included) who watched from a couch.

One thing that may linger in my thoughts is what could have been if we had pulled this game out. Most of the top schools got knocked off. If we had knocked off #2, the final eight would have been ridiculously low seeded and unseeded. It may be the lowest ever even with Stanford.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Reaction Score
It was a helluva season. I was rooting for UConn and ultimately all the unseeded teams to hope it might affect some change in the selection process, as the fact that the Huskies were at best, a bubble team if they slipped up in the Big East tournament is a joke... and ultimately I think their performance, pushing the #2 seed to a winner take all in the Super Regional demonstrated that.. it'll probably be forgotten next year, but I'd like to think they earned a bit more respect from selection committees.

Reaction Score
One more remarkable thing about this season. They played 66 games. Shy of making the CWS, they played as many games as anyone in the country. Over are the days of losing games to weather and playing 75% of the games power programs play. If anything, the Huskies are going the opposite direction with schools cancelling games to preserve their RPI. Come play at UConn if you love to play the game and are tough enough to play in Storrs. Talk about an ethos and standing for something.

Reaction Score
UConn ended up at 26 in the “Live RPI”. It was an impressive run. I think Maryland and Wake would have had the same issues with Stanford. Stanford has the bats to will it all, but the CWS is a pitching depth competition. Fun team to watch. I only wish UConn had Crawford for the year. His bat and arm would have put the team at a different level.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
A handful of thoughts:

I am more amazed now than ever at the talent we had in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 and I will go to my grave believing that being matched up against an experienced (defending
National champion) South Carolina was the only thing that could have kept us from the CWS in 2011.

I keep running scenarios through my head and I can't see how it would be possible to field even close to a complete team with only 11 1/3 (I believe this is the number) scholarships available. I also believe that this hurts us more than schools that would have a legitimate shot at the CWS on a semi-regular basis as there is far more allure to playing at one of those schools on a partial (or no) scholarship.

I still don't see why there isn't a change in how they run the regionals (perhaps similar to the next round, with days off) as basically they are asking teams to play their most important games with whatever they can piece together with the back end of their pitching staffs.

I am not a fan of the slow pitch softball scores that we've seen throughout the tournament and I am very concerned that this is exactly what the NCAA wants. There should be a lot more required in terms of skill than just the ability to put the bat on the ball against the eighth or ninth best pitcher on a team and lazy fly balls should not be traveling out of the park. They should deaden the bats a little and they should require reasonable distances for the fences (I'm talking to both of you Maryland and Georgetown).

Reaction Score
It was a helluva season. I was rooting for UConn and ultimately all the unseeded teams to hope it might affect some change in the selection process, as the fact that the Huskies were at best, a bubble team if they slipped up in the Big East tournament is a joke... and ultimately I think their performance, pushing the #2 seed to a winner take all in the Super Regional demonstrated that.. it'll probably be forgotten next year, but I'd like to think they earned a bit more respect from selection committees.

I have no doubt they earned respect, but this team got a lot of respect. Remember, polls all year long ranked us much, much higher than computer rankings.

Unfortunately, while respect carries over from year to year, criteria for seeding doesn't (and shouldn't). We don't want to be penalized because some school was better than us in prior seasons, and we can't expect to be given breaks because of how we played in prior seasons either.

We were killed by our SOS, and even then getting swept at the end of the season by a team not in the top 100 totally and rightfully killed our chances to be on the fringe of getting a regional at home.

Reaction Score
I keep running scenarios through my head and I can't see how it would be possible to field even close to a complete team with only 11 1/3 (I believe this is the number) scholarships available. I also believe that this hurts us more than schools that would have a legitimate shot at the CWS on a semi-regular basis as there is far more allure to playing at one of those schools on a partial (or no) scholarship.
This probably helps us more than it hurts us. We have the best chance to be playing in the NCAAs, and fighting to win regionals, than any other club in the Northeast, and other than Notre Dame any other school in the rust belt as well. The disadvantage in competing against Stanford for west coast athletes is also why we can get a Casey Dana from Seton Hall and have as good a shot as anyway at northeastern players. We gave up ten runs a game this series. Reimagine our pitching if Crawford hadn't gone down, and if we hadn't lost two arms from New England to the first four rounds of the MLB draft.

Northeastern players don't get the national pub that those in the sunbelt do, and due to shorter seasons may be somewhat behind in development, but we are the best drivable option for a large percentage of the country's population.

Reaction Score
This probably helps us more than it hurts us. We have the best chance to be playing in the NCAAs, and fighting to win regionals, than any other club in the Northeast, and other than Notre Dame any other school in the rust belt as well. The disadvantage in competing against Stanford for west coast athletes is also why we can get a Casey Dana from Seton Hall and have as good a shot as anyway at northeastern players. We gave up ten runs a game this series. Reimagine our pitching if Crawford hadn't gone down, and if we hadn't lost two arms from New England to the first four rounds of the MLB draft.

Northeastern players don't get the national pub that those in the sunbelt do, and due to shorter seasons may be somewhat behind in development, but we are the best drivable option for a large percentage of the country's population.
Where the south and the west kill us is depth, I think. While CT might produce 5-7 guys a year good enough to play mid/high major baseball (with at least half likely going ACC/Vandy), states like FL and TX literally produce 10 times that. But at the top, I firmly believe our (CT, northeast) best players are just as good as their best players, and it’s going to be about getting enough of these guys wearing the hook C on their caps. I certainly think we can do it, and while I’m bitter about how this season ended, I know the future is brighter than ever.

Reaction Score
Where the south and the west kill us is depth, I think. While CT might produce 5-7 guys a year good enough to play mid/high major baseball (with at least half likely going ACC/Vandy), states like FL and TX literally produce 10 times that. But at the top, I firmly believe our (CT, northeast) best players are just as good as their best players, and it’s going to be about getting enough of these guys wearing the hook C on their caps. I certainly think we can do it, and while I’m bitter about how this season ended, I know the future is brighter than ever.

I might say it slightly differently. In the sunbelt, you can fill your roster with more polished players. In the Northeast, it takes more time for a lot of players to "get there." So last year, Padilla never got in a game, and Corey Morton barely did other than as a pinch runner, and one year later look at the seasons they have. The flip side, of course, is when you're taking players without polish, you never know for sure that they will get to where you think they might be able to.

So yes, being in the Sunbelt is a huge advantage. My point was that I'm not sure increasing the number of scholarships helps us more than hurts us.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I hear what you are saying (and I believe that pitching greatly outweighs everything else, which may somewhat contradict my bext statement) but one thing that still aggravates me is that three starters (including the one and three hitters in their batting order) on Maryland were from Connecticut. One is a neighbor of an acquaintance and I found out late last week that he chose Maryland solely because they offered a full scholarship while we didn't (likely couldn't due the the constraints).

I hate the idea of losing kids in a scenario like that. I understand fully both sides and cannot fault either our staff or the kid and his family but this is a reality that stinks. One thing that bothers me more with this is an example like Matt Harvey, who felt going south (ended up at UNC) would give him significantly more exposure. If we are at a disadvantage both when trying to land top tier kids (when other schools come in) and also when attempting to land next tier kids (due to scholarship constraints), you have to wonder if we can ever truly compete.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying (and I believe that pitching greatly outweighs everything else, which may somewhat contradict my bext statement) but one thing that still aggravates me is that three starters (including the one and three hitters in their batting order) on Maryland were from Connecticut. One is a neighbor of an acquaintance and I found out late last week that he chose Maryland solely because they offered a full scholarship while we didn't (likely couldn't due the the constraints).

I hate the idea of losing kids in a scenario like that. I understand fully both sides and cannot fault either our staff or the kid and his family but this is a reality that stinks. One thing that bothers me more with this is an example like Matt Harvey, who felt going south (ended up at UNC) would give him significantly more exposure. If we are at a disadvantage both when trying to land top tier kids (when other schools come in) and also when attempting to land next tier kids (due to scholarship constraints), you have to wonder if we can ever truly compete.

1. Matt Harvey was a number of years ago. We are getting a higher percentage of the best CT kids than we ever did. But we'll always lose some to Vandy and UNC until we break through and start going to the CWS often. Nothing that can be done about that.

2. IIRC, the three CT kids playing for the Terps are all from Fairfield County. You know as well as I do that because it's part of the NY media market, Fairfield County will never be as tied to UConn as the rest of the State in any aspect, including sports loyalty. I think UConn continues to make huge strides in this area, but the average athlete in Fairfield County will never be as emotionally tied to UConn as the average athlete in any of the other seven counties. That's just reality.

3. As for your neighbor getting a better schollie offer from MD than UConn, if we increase scholarships then maybe we keep him from MD but maybe UNC or UVA or Vandy then jumps in to the picture as well. Again, we have a disadvantage being outside the sunbelt, but I don't see any reason to think that allowing more schollies helps us more than it hurts us. The very fact that we were looking at your neighbor and wasn't willing to spend a scholly on him while MD was tells you that they are not ahead of us as a program -- they just had a great year (and still couldn't beat us in their park despite getting to play LIU while we were playing WFU).

Reaction Score

Coach Penders has said in several times in past interviews that his goal is to get the best Connecticut players to stay at home and to play for UConn. In these same interviews he has said that if this could be accomplished then he believes UConn baseball would certainly have a team with enough talent to make it to Omaha.

Reaction Score
1. Matt Harvey was a number of years ago. We are getting a higher percentage of the best CT kids than we ever did. But we'll always lose some to Vandy and UNC until we break through and start going to the CWS often. Nothing that can be done about that.

2. IIRC, the three CT kids playing for the Terps are all from Fairfield County. You know as well as I do that because it's part of the NY media market, Fairfield County will never be as tied to UConn as the rest of the State in any aspect, including sports loyalty. I think UConn continues to make huge strides in this area, but the average athlete in Fairfield County will never be as emotionally tied to UConn as the average athlete in any of the other seven counties. That's just reality.

3. As for your neighbor getting a better schollie offer from MD than UConn, if we increase scholarships then maybe we keep him from MD but maybe UNC or UVA or Vandy then jumps in to the picture as well. Again, we have a disadvantage being outside the sunbelt, but I don't see any reason to think that allowing more schollies helps us more than it hurts us. The very fact that we were looking at your neighbor and wasn't willing to spend a scholly on him while MD was tells you that they are not ahead of us as a program -- they just had a great year (and still couldn't beat us in their park despite getting to play LIU while we were playing WFU).
UConn has had baseball players who attended high school in or near Fairfield County. These include from Westport, Greenwich, Norwalk, etc.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One is a neighbor of an acquaintance and I found out late last week that he chose Maryland solely because they offered a full scholarship while we didn't (likely couldn't due the the constraints).
Without knowing the details, to me, that suggests a difference of opinion in how the two schools rated that player. I'd have to imagine if UConn saw the kid as a stud as much as Maryland did, there would've been an open scholly.

It would be useful to know who has schollys and how much (as %), and how that compares to how the elite teams handle their business.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That really depends on where in Fairfield County. If Greenwich/Stamford/Darien/New Canaan/Norwalk/Westport, sure. They'd be more influenced by NYC media. But Bridgeport/Stratford/Trumbull and north? I wouldn't assume they're more connected to NYC than CT.

I'd look at it in a way every BYer would understand: When you want a really good pizza, do you go west to NYC or east to NH? And if it's east to NH, then you're emotionally and culturally part of CT.

I haven't lived in Stamford since they moved the branch downtown, but I have to think its presence there could also do a lot more to raise UConn's profile in SW CT. Maybe Hurley, Geno, and Jim should open up a restaurant like JC did!

Reaction Score
I got pretty emotional listening to the twilight of the Hook C season last night, the end timed right up with the end of my shift. I'm fortunate that I've been able to listen to this team for the previous weeks and months while I'm at work - but this last game definitely slowed my workflow. Even if we couldn't pull it out of the hat, one last RBI off one last double really felt good. What a great year for UConn Baseball - will always think would've/could've/should've, what if this or that. But even if I still think we could've gone further, a 50 win season with our program's first win in super regionals is just fantastic. What a treat.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I imagine that Monroe and Danbury are in a different classification than Greenwich or New Canaan (I will admit that one of the three was from Stamford).

I don't know if it was a misjudgment or general policy due to the limited number of scholarships available but when compared to sports like football and basketball, where a school can go three deep (or more) with scholarship players, less than twelve scholarships available for eight position players, three frontline weekend starters and a DH is not close to sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom