2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys who start at Illinois don't transfer to be backups at UConn. I expect whoever comes in as a depth/backup PG will be from a small school, a kid looking to play at a higher level and willing to come off the bench.

Is there anybody who fits that profile?

Curbelo started 4 game last year, none after November.

Reaction Score
Wednesday might be pushing it. All the hoops coaches are down in NO through Monday at the NABC. That's why it's been relatively quiet last few days.

Is the staff also in NO? Maybe Luke is on portal road.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Curbelo started 4 game last year, none after November.
Accurate but doesn't begin to tell the story.

His concussion impacted his entire season. Was out over two months. Just began to be eased back into play when he contracted Covid-19.

He never demonstrated the on-court judgment needed to either take over or share PG duties with Trent. Why? Now that's the Million Dollar question.

In any event, he isn't transferring to be a backup

Reaction Score
Just a highlight video but it shows a really fun, creative player. Also, if our offense is going to revolve around getting Sanogo the ball in easy positions to score, this kid has the ability to make the passes that Cole and gaffney didn’t.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tom Petty Waiting GIF

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just a highlight video but it shows a really fun, creative player. Also, if our offense is going to revolve around getting Sanogo the ball in easy positions to score, this kid has the ability to make the passes that Cole and gaffney didn’t.

No doubt he's fun to watch. But couple of questions:
1) A common complaint here is AJax makes ridiculous passes that teammates can't anticipate. Why should they anticipate Cubelo's passes any more than Andre's?
2) Do B1G refs not call walks? I swear I saw at leave 5 in there.
3) Is Hurley gonna let him take all those midrange shots?

Reaction Score
Not just guys who didn't play, Jaiden Delaire is 8th on the 247 list and 62nd on EvanMiya. Tristen Newton is 15th and 108th. The EvanMiya is based on his advanced metrics that track player performance. But my point is really just that there are absolutely impact players in the transfer portal, I don't even know how this is arguable
KU will be playing in Monday night's national championship game as a No. 1 seed taking on No. 8 seed North Carolina, and it will be favored behind a roster that coach Bill Self has tactically developed in-house while plugging holes where necessary along the way via the transfer portal.

"What the transfer portal does, it allows you not to take a step back whenever you have unexpected things happen during the season," Self said on Sunday. "So, for instance, that happens a lot whether it be another guy transfer or where there be a guy or two declare for the draft and have a good year that's maybe ahead of what your schedule was for him. Those sorts of things. You can't get a freshman in the spring like that because they're already taken. So the transfer portal allows you to fill in the gaps, which allows programs to stay at the level that they're presently operating at. And there won't be as many dips like this because of the portal."

Reaction Score
No doubt he's fun to watch. But couple of questions:
1) A common complaint here is AJax makes ridiculous passes that teammates can't anticipate. Why should they anticipate Cubelo's passes any more than Andre's?
2) Do B1G refs not call walks? I swear I saw at leave 5 in there.
3) Is Hurley gonna let him take all those midrange shots?
Moot point, looks like he's SJU bound

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
KU will be playing in Monday night's national championship game as a No. 1 seed taking on No. 8 seed North Carolina, and it will be favored behind a roster that coach Bill Self has tactically developed in-house while plugging holes where necessary along the way via the transfer portal.

"What the transfer portal does, it allows you not to take a step back whenever you have unexpected things happen during the season," Self said on Sunday. "So, for instance, that happens a lot whether it be another guy transfer or where there be a guy or two declare for the draft and have a good year that's maybe ahead of what your schedule was for him. Those sorts of things. You can't get a freshman in the spring like that because they're already taken. So the transfer portal allows you to fill in the gaps, which allows programs to stay at the level that they're presently operating at. And there won't be as many dips like this because of the portal."

Three McD AAs coming in (never happened at KU before) and Lightfoot was granted a 7th year last week. So it will be a weird mix next year.

Reaction Score
Three McD AAs coming in (never happened at KU before) and Lightfoot was granted a 7th year last week. So it will be a weird mix next year.
The Mitch Lightfoot 7 years thing was an April Fools' joke.

Reaction Score
Can we name a committee to cross reference all transfer news before posted to the 'yard?

Reaction Score

Selfs comments should put to rest the idea that the portal is some land of the misfit toys with all flawed and subpar players in it that some people on here seem to look at it as.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

And that's why Bill Self is a HOF coach!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'll be the first to eat crow:

I wouldn't say I "wasn't happy", but Tyrese's profile coming in underwhelmed me. If you asked me then, I would not have thought that Tyrese would have been a starter here, let alone a very good starter and one of our best transfers ever.

What's incredible about Tyrese is that not only did he surprise us and become a 30+ mpg player for us, but arguably had better stats at UConn than URI.
That's OK, I couldn't see any need at all to seek immediate eligibility for him.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not just guys who didn't play, Jaiden Delaire is 8th on the 247 list and 62nd on EvanMiya. Tristen Newton is 15th and 108th. The EvanMiya is based on his advanced metrics that track player performance. But my point is really just that there are absolutely impact players in the transfer portal, I don't even know how this is arguable
If you are correct and I do not doubt that in the least (I just don't have enough knowledge) then what in the world was DH thinking when he gambled on playing for all the marbles by shortening the rotation to the point of not playing even younger players or denying Gaff? To know that a real crisis could come into play after the season if both Gaff and Diggens left along with seniors Cole and Martin
shows some very short sighted thinking and reckless over optimism in risking the future based on inflated and unrealistic expectations. I hope you are terribly wrong about the portal but I don't think you are. He can't have it both ways (playing all in for this year with the risk of throwing away the future).

I think we are in for a rebuild year (or more) and hopefully some better judgement by the coach. Excuse my sentence structure but I am finding it hard to put these thoughts into actual words.

Reaction Score
If you are correct and I do not doubt that in the least (I just don't have enough knowledge) then what in the world was DH thinking when he gambled on playing for all the marbles by shortening the rotation to the point of not playing even younger players or denying Gaff? To know that a real crisis could come into play after the season if both Gaff and Diggens left along with seniors Cole and Martin
shows some very short sighted thinking and reckless over optimism in risking the future based on inflated and unrealistic expectations. I hope you are terribly wrong about the portal but I don't think you are. He can't have it both ways (playing all in for this year with the risk of throwing away the future).

I think we are in for a rebuild year (or more) and hopefully some better judgement by the coach. Excuse my sentence structure but I am finding it hard to put these thoughts into actual words.
I think you misread my post, I'm saying there are tons of impact players in the portal. It shouldn't be a rebuilding year, add a few guards and shooters from the portal and we'll have a really good team again next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom