2022 Spring Game? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Spring Game?

Reaction Score
Blue and White spring game will be on Thursday April 21 with the time and place TBA on Feb 22nd (maybe tonight at the meet the FB coaches event ? ).
Spring game info is due out today, nothing so far on Uconn's FB twitter but this is pinned at the top:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Could making the game thursday night make it more of a "thing" than a regular sleepy saturday afternoon? I am probably overthinking it a bit, but I sort of anticipate the same 1-2k people showing up to each....then add students which who knows how many drop in.

An overlooked benefit of a spring game is that it gives the kids a near term focal point for spring practice. Everyone wants to shine in the spring game and that means I need to put 100% into spring ball. Without a spring game its easier to coast- even the most motivated will slack some thinking August is what matters.

Reaction Score
Thursday at 6:30 gonna make it tough for most people. I can potentially go because I'm free to leave before rush hour from Danbury area. Otherwise anywhere in Fairfield County might not be worth the hassle.

Reaction Score
I think they may be prioritizing getting kids there over the smattering of die-hard adults.

This was definitely a play to get more students to attend. I think the small attendance of us regulars over the last several games probably made them think it would be better to get 1000 students to a game and 1000 regulars than 1500 regulars and only a few students. I am fine with it. Not sure I will be able to make it but definitely will try.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
This was definitely a play to get more students to attend. I think the small attendance of us regulars over the last several games probably made them think it would be better to get 1000 students to a game and 1000 regulars than 1500 regulars and only a few students. I am fine with it. Not sure I will be able to make it but definitely will try.
Will they bring a bunch of high school players and coaches up as well? Might be a better atmosphere on campus than at an empty Rensch ...

Reaction Score
Will they bring a bunch of high school players and coaches up as well? Might be a better atmosphere on campus than at an empty Rensch ...
Also first day of UConn Spring Weekend.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think the hope is to get the students to get excited and want to make the trek to the Rent. Like others said, the people who usually go to the Spring game will go to regular season games and possibly make the trek to Storrs. However, I really think they want to energize the student fanbase and this is an easy way to start.

Reaction Score
I think this is a good idea to have the spring game on campus. Till we get back to a winning record, bowl eligibility, and dare I say, potential top 25 ranking, then we can return to Rentschler field for a traditional spring game on a late April Saturday afternoon.

Reaction Score
With the dimensions of Morrone stadium, does anyone have a sense of how well a football set up can work there? It is hard to tell from the videos how much space there is once you overlay a football field. I imagine it will be tight with goal post and space for players and other personnel on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
With the dimensions of Morrone stadium, does anyone have a sense of how well a football set up can work there? It is hard to tell from the videos how much space there is once you overlay a football field. I imagine it will be tight with goal post and space for players and other personnel on the sidelines.
Morrone is 75 yards wide, a football field is 53 1/3 yards wide, so they already have 60 additional feet to work plus the existing sideline that’s already there for soccer players and personnel, should be more than enough. And as far as goal posts they may be tight to each end, but Memorial Stadiums were right up against the outside of the stadium back in the day too. But I also don’t recall them ever really kicking in spring game anyways.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
And as far as goal posts they may be tight to each end, but Memorial Stadiums were right up against the outside of the stadium back in the day too. But I also don’t recall them ever really kicking in spring game anyways.
I think this is key. They can make the spring game anything they want it to be. No kicking....50 yard field...etc..

I wouldn't get caught up in trying to fit a traditional football game on this field.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think this is key. They can make the spring game anything they want it to be. No kicking....50 yard field...etc..

I wouldn't get caught up in trying to fit a traditional football game on this field.
I agree. I don't think this needs to be a full fledged game. I don't know Mora's vision or plan but it could be a mixture. FGs may not be part of that vision but who knows. I've embarrassed to say I've never gone to a Spring Game so I'm not sure what past ones were like. My guess is that they are going to do as much as they can to get students excited to want to travel to the Rent and watch games.

Who knows, maybe they take some Midnight Madness ideas and do some crazy things like a FG distance competition.

I'm just so pumped for change and the energy that is eminating from this program. The social media has been absolute fire

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Jim Dish is correct on the difficulty of attending for those of us in Fairfield County. Not only would I need to take Thursday afternoon off in order to get there on time, as a night game, I likely would need Friday off as there is little chance that I could get home at any reasonable time.

That said, for a number of reasons I think on campus is the best move this year and I imagine Thursday does make the most sense at this point.

As we need to re-energize our fan base, I imagine that the cost of using the Rent for this event (if for example we were to have it on the following Saturday) would be senseless if 1,500 fans showed up.

On the point of energizing the fan base, improving student involvement is one (of a few) critical areas that require improvement. Making this event (considerably) easier for them to attend could well pay dividends in future fall home games. I'm guessing is that they chose Thursday as a number of students still normally depart campus for the weekend.

At the moment, this is a very good idea. If we are unable to hold out spring games at the Rent (due to lack of need of the seating capacity) then we can state that things went very wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom