2022 Non-UCONN WBB News | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Non-UCONN WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A few teams are going to get fat on cupcakes.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A few teams are going to get fat on cupcakes.

1. No body shaming allowed in this thread
33.gif
33.gif 33.gif

2. Cupcakes are a source of carbs... and carbs are your body's main source of energy... .. so therefore cupcakes are a part of a balanced diet

Reaction Score
Don't have to worry about that with the Maryland Terrapins.
South Carolina
Baylor
Notre Dame
DePaul/Pittsburgh
UConn

Pretty tough schedule of 11 OOC games.
Again, nothing wrong with that schedule. You find out a lot about your team during these types of games. Make or break a team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Baylor released their non-conference schedule. They play Maryland and Arizona, and a possible matchup against Villanova but that’s pretty much it, pretty easy schedule

Better than what Mulkey would’ve done.

Need proof? See LSU’s schedule.

Reaction Score

said it before but I give Adia Barnes a lot of credit for her scheduling. Last season to start the season neutral court and beating a final 4 team Louisville they outplayed them, this season playing basically a home game for Baylor.

Reaction Score

If you compare it to Baylor schedule over the previous years its pretty much on par. Kim's scheduling has never been very good although she normally had a couple of bigger matchups on her OOC schedule at Baylor. It was generally cupcake like but she would have a couple ranked teams on the OOC schedule sprinkled in. That said when comparing it to LSU's schedule this year, its much better because they at least had a couple ranked teams. LSU has absolutely no one. The best team they face is Oregon St (who has not been as strong as of late)?

So far at LSU its been trash but that non conference schedule told me she had zero confidence a team of 9 new players would do well early. Thats unfortunate because you do have some talented players on LSU's roster (Morris, Reese, etc). I wish she would have more confidence in her team and her players hard work. Those wins against Iowa St/Missouri St were very good wins on their resume last year. This year, the only chance to make an impression is doing well in SEC play. Not scheduling at least one/two decent matchups was a failure on her and limits her teams ability to get a higher seed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Again, nothing wrong with that schedule. You find out a lot about your team during these types of games. Make or break a team.
I use to scoff at Kim Mulkey in years past (Baylor, now LSU) for her filling her preseason schedule every year with cupcakes and twinkies. Then I realized there was a method to her madness. First of all, she doesn't care what fans think. Second, playing a series of cupcakes allows her to play ALL of her players including her freshmen and her transfers allowing them to acclimate themselves to the program and each other over a two month period. She can play her starters 12-15 minutes, sit them for the rest of the game and let her reserves play 20-25 mpg. You learn by doing, not by sitting on the bench. ;) She wants to have everyone ready for conference play.

She knows going in she's not going to lose any of those games (most of them are home games). By winning those games she gets her team use to winning and building momentum going into conference play at 10-0 or 11-0. That's why some coaches are reluctant to play top 5 programs. A blowout loss in mid December puts them back at square one. Playing those weak lower tier programs has never hurt Baylor during the tournament selection time. They usually draw a 1-2 seed. So don't expect her to stop doing something that has yielded positive results for her in the past.

Of course playing a tougher schedule would help her players develop faster, but Mulkey could not play her entire roster in most of those games if she wanted to win them. To her, that is not the object/desire of what she wants to get done in November and December.
She wants to play everybody, and she wants to go into conference play undefeated, or with no more than 1 loss. Players still want to player for her. She has no problem recruiting and getting most of the players she wants.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
said it before but I give Adia Barnes a lot of credit for her scheduling. Last season to start the season neutral court and beating a final 4 team Louisville they outplayed them, this season playing basically a home game for Baylor.
What am I missing? You're giving her credit for one non-conference game against Baylor in Dallas? One game earns her credit for her scheduling? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What am I missing? You're giving her credit for one non-conference game against Baylor in Dallas? One game earns her credit for her scheduling? :rolleyes:
she scheduled Texas last season too and got cancelled due to Covid, not sure why your trying to descredit her but ok.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you compare it to Baylor schedule over the previous years its pretty much on par. Kim's scheduling has never been very good although she normally had a couple of bigger matchups on her OOC schedule at Baylor. It was generally cupcake like but she would have a couple ranked teams on the OOC schedule sprinkled in. That said when comparing it to LSU's schedule this year, its much better because they at least had a couple ranked teams. LSU has absolutely no one. The best team they face is Oregon St (who has not been as strong as of late)?

So far at LSU its been trash but that non conference schedule told me she had zero confidence a team of 9 new players would do well early. Thats unfortunate because you do have some talented players on LSU's roster (Morris, Reese, etc). I wish she would have more confidence in her team and her players hard work. Those wins against Iowa St/Missouri St were very good wins on their resume last year. This year, the only chance to make an impression is doing well in SEC play. Not scheduling at least one/two decent matchups was a failure on her and limits her teams ability to get a higher seed.
Mulkey has been coaching way longer than I have, so I will never have a leg to stand on in terms of saying she’s right or wrong.. but I’ve seen too much evidence over the years in favor of a strong OOC schedule galvanizing and propelling teams forward.

Reaction Score
Mulkey has been coaching way longer than I have, so I will never have a leg to stand on in terms of saying she’s right or wrong.. but I’ve seen too much evidence over the years in favor of a strong OOC schedule galvanizing and propelling teams forward.
It probably depends on the type of team you have. I’m in the boat of not over or under scheduling but she has been at this for decades so she knows way more than me (fans).

I imagine she will schedule better once she fully gets a team of her players and isn’t working off nearly 10 new players but as a fan it’s disappointing. She will probably continue scheduling cupcakes but will sprinkle in a couple ranked teams.

Only positive I can think is everyone gets minutes, gives team time to gel and try things out. They can build a lot of confidence over this period. On the downside, you aren’t challenged and it does stall development in spots.

Reaction Score
If it was last year's schedule, I'd agree, but this year Arizona's non-conference schedule isn't what we saw last season. Baylor is the only game that stands out as decent non-conference competition for 2022-2023.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
she scheduled Texas last season too and got cancelled due to Covid, not sure why your trying to descredit her but ok.
I'm not. Her 2022-23 non-conference schedule sadly speaks for itself. I'm wondering (as is another poster) why you are giving her credit this season for her non-conference schedule which consists of Baylor in Dallas. That's it. Do you have anything else positive to say about this year's schedule?

And, one would think that the game in Vegas canceled last season would have resulted in Texas and Arizona playing in Dallas this season to make up for that game, but they aren't. Not sure whose decision that was. Both teams in Dallas, with Texas playing USC.

And, this season, Texas was supposed to make a return trip to Tucson, and it's not happening. Not sure why.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If it was last year's schedule, I'd agree, but this year Arizona's non-conference schedule isn't what we saw last season. Baylor is the only game that stands out as decent non-conference competition for 2022-2023.
I agree. But when you only have 5 returning players, I'm not sure what the answer is. The best that can be said is that, at least arguably, the conference should provide stiffer competition.

I struggle with scheduling because when CVS dumbed down Rutgers' schedule (because she perceived she really wasn't getting the quality of players she previously had been getting and therefore didn't think she would be competitive in the sort of games she previously scheduled), you could see the results. Generating enough wins to make postseason, but not to make a dent in post-season. At the same time, had she scheduled tougher games, I'm not sure even the modest success those teams enjoyed would have happened.

Adia is in a tough place, I think. Success is expected and I'm not sure the team will be all that strong early. We shall see.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Still no official schedule release, but I think Ohio States is shaping up to be decent OOC.

Tennessee, Louisville(big ten vs acc), USF, Boston College, and Arkansas/Oregon. That’s all that’s been revealed so far. (USF and Arkansas/Oregon are a tournament).
I’m sure Cinci and Xavier will be on the schedule too. But we’ll see.

Also, saw photo of Madison Greene participating in practice without a brace. Happy she’s back and healthy.

Reaction Score
I agree. But when you only have 5 returning players, I'm not sure what the answer is. The best that can be said is that, at least arguably, the conference should provide stiffer competition.

I struggle with scheduling because when CVS dumbed down Rutgers' schedule (because she perceived she really wasn't getting the quality of players she previously had been getting and therefore didn't think she would be competitive in the sort of games she previously scheduled), you could see the results. Generating enough wins to make postseason, but not to make a dent in post-season. At the same time, had she scheduled tougher games, I'm not sure even the modest success those teams enjoyed would have happened.

Adia is in a tough place, I think. Success is expected and I'm not sure the team will be all that strong early. We shall see.

I don't think anyone is sure what the right answer is. The non-conference slates I'm seeing this year are similar in level of competition.

For me, Coach Barnes has given off a "we take on all comers" vibe which gave me a different expectation for the upcoming season. Maybe this is a one-off because of the roster as you noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom