2022 Non-UCONN WBB News | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2022 Non-UCONN WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Man....... these season ending injuries are spreading like wildfire!

Reaction Score
Damn..................Prince has been snake bitten with injuries.

Looks like Phillipina Kyei will be pressed into major playing time sooner than expected. Don't know enough about Van Slooten and Basham to know how they'll fill in.
They are freshmen but from what I hear Van Slooten has way more upside potential than what Prince ever did.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Whoa, Ms. Prince and injuries seem to be on a consistent, interlocked path. Crimeny (sp), as my aunt would shout at frustration. :confused:
Perhaps she'll be able to leave this string of injuries behind and come back as a pro. Best of luck in the (latest) recuperation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I appreciate your enthusiasm for her, that's a big jump from last season. Interested in your perspective as to why.

I didn't get to see much of Oregon's games and stats never paint the entire picture. From what I was able to see Globl Jam and FIBA World's, there's potential but is she potential second team all-star with the competition in the PAC-12? I don't see her there just yet.
She's always had the physical talent, but skill development was a problem as she started her bb career so late. I think with a year to work on skills under her belt, she will be really good if she can get the minutes on the floor.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
PRESEASON MEDIA PREDICTIONS

Order of Finish
1. South Carolina
2.Tennessee
3. LSU
4. Arkansas
5. Ole Miss
6. Florida
7. Kentucky
8. Mississippi State
9. Georgia
10. Alabama
11. Texas A&M
12. Missouri
13. Auburn
14. Vanderbilt

Preseason SEC Player of the Year
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

Preseason All-SEC First Team
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Zia Cooke, South Carolina
Rickea Jackson, Tennessee
Jordan Horston, Tennessee
Tamari Key, Tennessee

Preseason All-SEC Second Team
Brittany Davis, Alabama
Alexis Morris, LSU
Angel Reese, LSU
Jessika Carter, Mississippi State
Anastasia Hayes, Mississippi State
Hayley Frank, Missouri

Having Tamari Key/Zia Cooke over Angel Reese (a returning All-American) is laughable.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Having Tamari Key/Zia Cooke over Angel Reese (a returning All-American) is laughable.
Key and Reese play different positions. There is no doubt the effect Key has on defense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Reese was third team AP All American. Cook was Honorable Mention. Not much difference
Cooke had zero business being on anyone's ballot last year for All-SEC, let alone All American numbers. Looking at the numbers, can you actually tell me there's not much difference?

Zia Cooke: 10.7 points, 2 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.6 steals, 34.2% FG, 28.7% 3pt
Angel Reese: 17.8 points, 10.6 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.1 blocks, 50% FG

Reaction Score
Cooke had zero business being on anyone's ballot last year for All-SEC, let alone All American numbers. Looking at the numbers, can you actually tell me there's not much difference?

Zia Cooke: 10.7 points, 2 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.6 steals, 34.2% FG, 28.7% 3pt
Angel Reese: 17.8 points, 10.6 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.1 blocks, 50% FG

They play two totally different positions though. The argument for Reese would be against Key, Boston, and Jackson…

Reaction Score

Preseason teams are more of a projection or guess. Zia probably got the benefit of the doubt more so for her freshmen and sophomore year. She also got that champions bump. I agree Angel Reese should be on the first team, but it would be at the expense of Key.

Reaction Score
She's always had the physical talent, but skill development was a problem as she started her bb career so late. I think with a year to work on skills under her belt, she will be really good if she can get the minutes on the floor.
She'll definitely get the opportunity this season. Time will tell.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
While I appreciate your enthusiasm for her, that's a big jump from last season. Interested in your perspective as to why.

I didn't get to see much of Oregon's games and stats never paint the entire picture. From what I was able to see Globl Jam and FIBA World's, there's potential but is she potential second team all-star with the competition in the PAC-12? I don't see her there just yet.
l also believe that Philly has a tremendous upside. She will get a lot of time on the court given Sedona's injury and that is exactly what she needs. She has all the tools (including toughness; she played last season with a broken hand!) and given the short time she has been playing basketball her progress has been amazing. But she does indeed still have a way to go. I think next year will be her time, but believe (hope) she'll have considerable impact this year as well. Oregon certainly needs it.

I think VanSlooten is Oregon's best freshman big since, well, the Saballys (assuming Nyara had been healthy). She's athletic, tough, has a non-stop motor, is as good a rebounder as N. Sabally or R. Hebard (maybe better; she is a very quick leaper), has some very good midrange moves and around the basket (don't know how she is from 3), and gets up and down the court faster than any Duck I can remember (including guards). (I think Geno would love her.) To me, and @Dillon77 will probably correct me on this, she looks like a prototypical ND player. At 6'3" she's not a post, but I suspect she'll end up there if Oregon goes small.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
l also believe that Philly has a tremendous upside. She will get a lot of time on the court given Sedona's injury and that is exactly what she needs. She has all the tools (including toughness; she played last season with a broken hand!) and given the short time she has been playing basketball her progress has been amazing. But she does indeed still have a way to go. I think next year will be her time, but believe (hope) she'll have considerable impact this year as well. Oregon certainly needs it.

I think VanSlooten is Oregon's best freshman big since, well, the Saballys (assuming Nyara had been healthy). She's athletic, tough, has a non-stop motor, is as good a rebounder as N. Sabally or R. Hebard (maybe better; she is a very quick leaper), has some very good midrange moves and around the basket (don't know how she is from 3), and gets up and down the court faster than any Duck I can remember (including guards). (I think Geno would love her.) To me, and @Dillon77 will probably correct me on this, she looks like a prototypical ND player. At 6'3" she's not a post, but I suspect she'll end up there if Oregon goes small.
Actually, I won't correct you at all! In fact, a few of my Bench colleagues and I wondered why -- after initial contact between ND and VanSlooten -- the courtship stopped. The only reasons I ever came up with is that there was (and still is) a 6'3" player who takes most of the minutes at the forward -- one Maddy Westbeld. And, at the time, 6'2" Sam Brunelle was still with the Irish. While Brunelle is now at UVA, Westbeld still has a minimum of two years and is one heckuva player (recently on the U.S.A. 3 x3 team). You can sub in Maddy's name for your description in many respects, plus Maddy does have a three-pt. shot.

So, I'll be paying attention to VanSlooten, too. Good luck to all concerned!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I probably think Reese is a better player than Key but it's not a huge difference.

Cooke obviously is a guard. I think she should have a bounce back performance but it's fair to say that last season was a struggle all year after she was hurt early on.

Reaction Score
I picked Oregon for 2nd in the Pac 12 contest but I am stepping back from that in light of losing Sedona. Now like AZ and Utah a little more. Ducks still have the talent and SOS to get a reasonably high bid to the tourney unless hit with injury bug and limited roster.

Reaction Score
I probably think Reese is a better player than Key but it's not a huge difference.

Cooke obviously is a guard. I think she should have a bounce back performance but it's fair to say that last season was a struggle all year after she was hurt early on.
I love Zia but fact of the matter she is yet to shoot above 40% from the field in a college season.

She can make big shots in big games so most fans are willing to live with her streakiness. I think she will have her most efficient season yet. It’s not for lack of work ethic or anything of the sort; I think injuries and adverse shot selection have affected her.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love Zia but fact of the matter she is yet to shoot above 40% from the field in a college season.

She can make big shots in big games so most fans are willing to live with her streakiness. I think she will have her most efficient season yet. It’s not for lack of work ethic or anything of the sort; I think injuries and adverse shot selection have affected her.
I admire her ability to always show up in big games.. but consistency would go a LONG way for her when it comes to awards season. She’s a very talented guard.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't say this is WBB news but I can hardly contain my excitement that the Mississippi State AD is heading to Auburn to wreck their department (half joking). Ironic because Cohen is who hired NMP over Johnnie Harris for the job that basically ruined everything Vic built and now Harris is the coach at his new school.

I've hated the Cohen hire since it was made and hopefully MSU makes a better decision this go around.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And continuing the list - Lauren Ware out for the season at Arizona. It is a continuation of the knee issue from last year, which recurred after bumping knees in practice. I'm not sure if it was the only option, based on way it was written, but she has chosen to have season ending surgery.

Probably the best choice since it seems to be an ongoing (kneecap related) issue.

I'm sure this will provide some more playing time for our highly touted freshmen.

Cate Reese suffered a concussion in the 2nd exhibition game (her head hit the court) so that could be more concerning. However, Arizona doesn't open the season till Thursday so, if things go the good way, she may be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom