2022 Coaching Carousel Begins… | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2022 Coaching Carousel Begins…

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What is this, a Chippendale audition? The guy who wins. Bob Diaco was a "face". I stand by what I said, he got Wisconsin in the B1G championship game 3 times. B1G is moving away from Divisions supposedly. That will make it harder for Wisconsin, not easier to get there.

Fickell may do great there, but you guys act like Chryst was Randy Edsall.
I do think Fickell will do better than Chryst...but Chryst did do a pretty good job. I don't think he should have been fired. Chryst won division titles on the very weak side of the B1G. His teams weren't national title contenders...but they were good. I think Fickell will have Wiscy in the national title hunt.

What's weird is the timing of the firing. Everyone said it was because they wanted a chance to ensure Leonard would be the guy and they didn't want to lose him. Did they lose confidence in Leonard's ability to lead? They didn't need to fire Chryst early to get Fickell.

Or was that the plan all along.... early in the season they somehow knew Fickell was interested and they fired Chryst when the team was struggling in the beginning of the year because if the team turned it around it would be harder to convince the fans that firing Chryst makes sense?

Who knows...but I do think it's an upgrade. Not a huge upgrade....but an upgrade nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I do think Fickell will do better than Chryst...but Chryst did do a pretty good job. I don't think he should have been fired. Chryst won division titles on the very weak side of the B1G. His teams weren't national title contenders...but they were good. I think Fickell will have Wiscy in the national title hunt.

What's weird is the timing of the firing. Everyone said it was because they wanted a chance to ensure Leonard would be the guy and they didn't want to lose him. Did they lose confidence in Leonard's ability to lead? They didn't need to fire Chryst early to get Fickell.

Or was that the plan all along.... early in the season they somehow knew Fickell was interested and they fired Chryst when the team was struggling in the beginning of the year because if the team turned it around it would be harder to convince the fans that firing Chryst makes sense?

Who knows...but I do think it's an upgrade. Not a huge upgrade....but an upgrade nonetheless.
My cousin's ex is a Badger involved in the booster program, such as it is. She claims Leonard had a 'mandate' of bowl eligibility due to his extensive time already with the program in a position of influence. The administration was not satisfied with his performance, point blank period and views Fickel a a superior option. Time will tell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Louisville, USF, and Cincinnati were playing schedules that were comparable to a Big East schedule when they joined the Big East. In the year before they joined, Louisville played Kentucky, North Carolina, Miami, USF, Cincinnati, East Carolina, TCU, Boise St.,... and finished 11-1 and ranked #6. Louisville was ready to compete. The Brian Kelly hire is what catapulted Cincinnati. USF's Big East record was 22-34 so they never really got it going.

The change from the AAC to the Big 12 is much greater than CUSA to the Big East in 2005.

I don't talk college sports with people who think CUSA was equal to the Big East. Moving on.

Reaction Score
I don't talk college sports with people who think CUSA was equal to the Big East. Moving on.
CUSA is equal to trash. UCONN will probably never be a football power, should stay with a schedule similar to this year until expansion somewhere takes football only. Leaving Big East hoops would be a mistake unless Big 10 calls. By then it might be the Big 25.

Reaction Score
Ask the fan base at Pitt or Wisc and they’ll tell you he was just like edsall - who btw won 2 BE titles in his time here. I don’t get your fixation on chryst - he beat out iowa, mn, Ill, neb., nw, and Purdue 37.5% of the time. They expect more there in a post-Alvarez world. I believe fickell can deliver on that while upgrading the style of play.
Time will tell. Guy had 71% win percentage there. Lol at Edsall being anywhere near his level. Gonna talk about winning the BE with 8-4, records while knocking the B1G Western division? It's not a fixation it's an observation that winning 70 percent of your games in that league is damn good. Good for them for aspiring to be better but what is Fickell gonna do win 75% of his games there?

Reaction Score
I think you forget what the Big East looked like in 2005:

Louisville (from CUSA)
USF (from CUSA)
Cincinnati (from CUSA)
UConn (upgrade to FBS in 1999)
Rutgers (perennial doormat)
West Virginia
Pitt
Syracuse (Greg Robinson era and Cuse went 1-11)

CUSA in 2004 had some bad teams, but they had TCU, Houston, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF so there wasn't much of a change in competition going from CUSA to Big East. Here's another stat. UConn strength of schedule in 2004 = 98. Louisville's strength of schedule in 2004 = 82.

Reaction Score
CUSA is equal to trash. UCONN will probably never be a football power, should stay with a schedule similar to this year until expansion somewhere takes football only. Leaving Big East hoops would be a mistake unless Big 10 calls. By then it might be the Big 25.
Right now CUSA is trash as teams have moved on and I would totally be opposed to UConn moving to CUSA for football. But in the 2004/2005 time period, there were 5 schools that are either in or moving to the P5: TCU, Louisville, UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have a gut feeling that this will be a home run for Wiscy.

Reaction Score
Yup… the currency printing press is hidden next to the fax machine in the AD office supply closet.
And it's just starting to crank up!

It was an easy call to make but 2 B1G schools and an SEC school just flexed their muscles and significantly raised the bar on coaching salaries right before their new TV deals kick in.

With the going rate being established at $7-8+MM/yr for coaches it becomes very difficult for schools outside that circle to keep up.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread but are the Panthers off the hook for the rest of his salary? Or do they still owe him? If he is getting paid from the Panthers AND Nebraska, wow!

Reaction Score
Time will tell. Guy had 71% win percentage there. Lol at Edsall being anywhere near his level. Gonna talk about winning the BE with 8-4, records while knocking the B1G Western division? It's not a fixation it's an observation that winning 70 percent of your games in that league is damn good. Good for them for aspiring to be better but what is Fickell gonna do win 75% of his games there?
Fickell had Cincy ranked 4 years in a row and top ten two years in a row, while having to deal with being in the in the AAC. He made the college playoffs. Wisconsin has far more resources than Cincy did and attracts better recruits. To think he could do just a as good or better there would be the reasonable take.

Reaction Score
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread but are the Panthers off the hook for the rest of his salary? Or do they still owe him? If he is getting paid from the Panthers AND Nebraska, wow!
Bit more detail…

Reaction Score
Yeah, he won’t be there that long. Excellent coach but it isn’t 1995 anymore.
I'm not sure what you mean here... I think Rhule is a P5 coach... The NFL might've been a bit much, but this guy can strive here.. He showed a ton at Baylor... I think he puts Nebraska back on the map...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom