2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 60 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Louisville needs forwards and bigs. I think she'll kill it with the right program, but that team needs depth to support Cochran right now.
Plus, in true Walzian fashion, he's already brought in zounds of guards/wings, from Ga. Tech and James Madison to Massachusetts and California. I can't see a backcourt duo of Curry and Spear being an optimal one.

Personally, I'm a tad disappointed: when Wake went on a mini-run in the ACC tourney, she was clutch and was also a team leader, speaking well of her teammates and new coach Megan Gabbia. Since she hadn't bailed immediately, I thought there'd be a chance she's hang around to build on that success. :oops: Sigh.

Well, I hope she got her Wake degree (my younger son is a Wake graduate and he had a fine experience there in all respects).

She is from Texas. Baylor has loaded up on transfers already. If she feels compelled to head back to the Lone Star State, maybe join Mark Campbell at TCU?

And, truth be told, there's a four-letter school in North Carolina that lost three of it's top-scoring guards.....;)
(but that would be cruel to the Deacs!)

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I wasn't aware Angel and Aneesah were the same person.

ETA: And I'm sure this won't sit well, but Angel would never have worked out at South Carolina. Certain behaviors would not have been tolerated nor promoted here.
I'd say her choice and her behaviors have worked out pretty good for Angel and LSU.

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware Angel and Aneesah were the same person.

ETA: And I'm sure this won't sit well, but Angel would never have worked out at South Carolina. Certain behaviors would not have been tolerated nor promoted here.

Why should any offence be taken by that statement about Reese and behaviours? There's a level of expectation at SC. That's another reason why I didn't see Day-Wilson as a fit there. Couldn't picture Coach Staley tolerating her blowing kisses after every made three, like she did during her freshman season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Plus, in true Walzian fashion, he's already brought in zounds of guards/wings, from Ga. Tech and James Madison to Massachusetts and California. I can't see a backcourt duo of Curry and Spear being an optimal one.

She is from Texas. Baylor has loaded up on transfers already. If she feels compelled to head back to the Lone Star State, maybe join Mark Campbell at TCU?

And, truth be told, there's a four-letter school in North Carolina that lost three of it's top-scoring guards.....;)
(but that would be cruel to the Deacs!)
All the assistant coaches at Texas and Rori Harmon started following Spear on Instagram this afternoon; while that could mean nothing in the long game, it definitely shows Texas is interested.

Reaction Score
Don't you get tired of this?

Personally, I'm a tad disappointed: when Wake went on a mini-run in the ACC tourney, she was clutch and was also a team leader, speaking well of her teammates and new coach Megan Gabbia. Since she hadn't bailed immediately, I thought there'd be a chance she's hang around to build on that success. :oops: Sigh.

Well, I hope she got her Wake degree (my younger son is a Wake graduate and he had a fine experience there in all respects).

(but that would be cruel to the Deacs!
Baylor still has 2 scholarships available and Nicki would no
doubt take Spears if she had opportunity.

Reaction Score
All the assistant coaches at Texas and Rori Harmon started following Spear on Instagram this afternoon; while that could mean nothing in the long game, it definitely shows Texas is interested.
I would love her at South Carolina. But Texas is a good choice.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I am guessing that Oregon has an eye on her. I certainly have since I saw her play. Aussie gal stepping up to P5.
The Southern Utah coach, following their very successful WAC performance and appearance in the NCAA's, just signed a 5-year extension, so Williamson would've had a happy stay in the paint for the remainder of her eligibility.
So, I'm thinking, you're right: she wants to spread her wings in a P5 conference.

The question is what does she ultimately choose:
  • a place where she can play a lot of minutes, learn and get better.
  • a school where she might not start and be part of the rotation. Theoretically, the "get better" part might be playing in practice.

Per the latter, Josie Williams was a star at Utah Valley and used her last year at Louisville. There, she spelled Olivia Cochran and/or Liz Dixon for a few minutes every 2nd and 3rd quarters. Was that what she was after? Maybe, but I doubt it.

As you know, Oregon's got 6'8" Phillipina Kyei, 6'7" Kennedy Basham and 6'3" Grace Van Slooten gracing their front line. Williamson was an adept rebounder and defender at Southern Utah, but didn't score much. At best, I'd see her spelling Kyei or Basham. If that's' what she wants, cool. Or, will she want to use her two years to get steady PT, even if it's at a school with not as good a record (hence, that's why the need her?).

Will be interesting to see what direction she chooses.

p.s. I saw her play in the first round against ND which, theoretically, needs a center to replace Lauren Ebo.
Williamson was ok (grabbed 7 rebounds, but only scored 5 points) versus the Irish, but was outrebounded by both Ebo and Cass Prosper. If she came to ND, she'd probably just rotate with Kylee Watson (to throw in an Oregon tie) and/or 6'5" Nat Marshall. Another rotation. If I were her, I'd look for PT opportunities, like Marquette, which has fine guards, forwards and needs a center.

Reaction Score
"As you know, Oregon's got 6'8" Phillipina Kyei, 6'7" Kennedy Basham and 6'3" Grace Van Slooten gracing their front line."

Add in 6'3" incoming Freshman Sarah Rambus and the front line does get a little crowded. PG Chance Gray returns and JC Transfer 5'9" Bella Hamel is coming in. 6'1 Frosh Sammie Wagner and Sofia Bell at wing or combo guard.

Guards do seem a more likely target from the portal. The four best pct 3 pt shooters either graduated or transferred. Graves is playing it pretty close to the vest though so have no idea who he is looking at. Currently only those 8 as scholarship players.

Reaction Score
"As you know, Oregon's got 6'8" Phillipina Kyei, 6'7" Kennedy Basham and 6'3" Grace Van Slooten gracing their front line."

Add in 6'3" incoming Freshman Sarah Rambus and the front line does get a little crowded. PG Chance Gray returns and JC Transfer 5'9" Bella Hamel is coming in. 6'1 Frosh Sammie Wagner and Sofia Bell at wing or combo guard.

Guards do seem a more likely target from the portal. The four best pct 3 pt shooters either graduated or transferred. Graves is playing it pretty close to the vest though so have no idea who he is looking at. Currently only those 8 as scholarship players.
I could see OSU Beavers a potential for Williamson.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Yep Texas or Tennessee and maybe even UNC ?
Not sure who else UNC has in their backcourt in addition to Deja Kelly, but they did just add Lexi Donarski.

In addition to coaches from Texas, I also saw coaches from Maryland, Georgi, Oregon, and NC State start to follow Spear out on Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom