2021 Recruiting: - 2021 Recruits and 2022 Possible Reclassifications | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: 2021 Recruits and 2022 Possible Reclassifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There has obviously been a lot of talk about the transfer portal, but I’m very curious about whether or not we are also trying to recruit any additional freshmen for next year. Does anyone have any idea if we are still pursuing any 2021 recruits or working to get a 2022 player to reclassify? The only remaining top-150 2021 recruit I believe we offered is Jaylen Blakes. He’s a PG, but if he can shoot and create and if we’re committed to playing Gaffney at the 2, perhaps there is room for him.

Can any of our 2022 targets reclassify? I know Floyd and Clingan cannot. I have no idea about the rest.

Reaction Score
Didn't Zags or Borges or one of those guys potentially let it slip that Floyd will reclass?

I remember seeing it in an article or tweet. But we weren't sure if he just got the year wrong or forgot Floyd is next year. Or if he had inside info and accidentally let it slip..

Has anyone heard anything about that?

Reaction Score
Didn't Zags or Borges or one of those guys potentially let it slip that Floyd will reclass?

I remember seeing it in an article or tweet. But we weren't sure if he just got the year wrong or forgot Floyd is next year. Or if he had inside info and accidentally let it slip..

It was a mistake. Writer meant that he finished his junior season but wrote it as finishing his high school career

Reaction Score

He can't reclass.

Reaction Score
I really want to see Justice Williams from the 2022 class commit to UConn, but I don’t know if a reclass is even possible with him or where exactly we stand on his recruitment. It looks good on 247, but I always take that with a grain of salt. And I obviously want Clingan for 2022.

There aren’t too many people left in the 2021 class so I am curious to see which direction we go in. I would have to imagine 1 or 2 of the available 2021 scholarships would have to come from transfers. Maybe Hurley has a couple of 2022 commits in mind he is trying to get to reclass.

5-6 newcomers next year is definitely going to be an interesting season. Almost half of the team will be new. Really need some strong offensive players in the last 3 scholarships, obviously.

Reaction Score
He can't reclass.
2FC4566F-B7D0-46A0-94C8-54C621FAFBE4.png

“Can’t” is the cancer of “happen”

Reaction Score
I really want to see Justice Williams from the 2022 class commit to UConn, but I don’t know if a reclass is even possible with him or where exactly we stand on his recruitment. It looks good on 247, but I always take that with a grain of salt. And I obviously want Clingan for 2022.

There aren’t too many people left in the 2021 class so I am curious to see which direction we go in. I would have to imagine 1 or 2 of the available 2021 scholarships would have to come from transfers. Maybe Hurley has a couple of 2022 commits in mind he is trying to get to reclass.

5-6 newcomers next year is definitely going to be an interesting season. Almost half of the team will be new. Really need some strong offensive players in the last 3 scholarships, obviously.
In my opinion we wont have as rocky an adjustment next season. Think about it, this past season we worked in Cole, Martin, Sanogo and Jackson who all played big minutes by the end. Next season we have the 3 freshmen to join in and potentially a transfer or few, but it appears most of the minutes we're replacing are Bouk's (we'll see what happens with Polley). From a personnel standpoint, less new definition of roles next year than we had this year

Reaction Score
In my opinion we wont have as rocky an adjustment next season. Think about it, this past season we worked in Cole, Martin, Sanogo and Jackson who all played big minutes by the end. Next season we have the 3 freshmen to join in and potentially a transfer or few, but it appears most of the minutes we're replacing are Bouk's (we'll see what happens with Polley). From a personnel standpoint, less new definition of roles next year than we had this year
I definitely agree with you here. 6 newcomers seems like a lot on paper, but it helps that a lot of the “core” is returning (obviously minus Bouk). Doesn’t feel like a completely different team despite the number of additions.

The returners are all going to have to make improvements from this season, which I am assuming they will. It feels like Sanogo and Jackson can only go up from here, Whaley coming back is huge, RJ was playing a lot better towards the end of the season, Gaffney was really good the last game. There’s a lot to look forward to with these guys.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
We'll also have more OOC and early season games to help the team gel. Lacked that this season and it was only disrupted more by COVID pauses.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Chemistry and defining roles was the biggest thing I was worried about last year. Next season there isn't really that issue.

Reaction Score
Borges mentions some possibilities here, but doesn’t give any names of potential new recruits.

“With that in mind, UConn is still mining for high school talent for next season. It could come in the form of a player who reclassifies from the 2022 graduating class, or a player who could use a year of development as a sit-out and wouldn’t immediately be in search of minutes.

It could also be a junior-college transfer. The Huskies are in the market for a few different JUCO players, who would also likely have three years of eligibility left due to NCAA rule changes.”

Reaction Score
Borges mentions some possibilities here, but doesn’t give any names of potential new recruits.

“With that in mind, UConn is still mining for high school talent for next season. It could come in the form of a player who reclassifies from the 2022 graduating class, or a player who could use a year of development as a sit-out and wouldn’t immediately be in search of minutes.

It could also be a junior-college transfer. The Huskies are in the market for a few different JUCO players, who would also likely have three years of eligibility left due to NCAA rule changes.”

Alternate access?

Reaction Score

Sorry, I didn't see this before I started another thread. But since there's nothing to read the last few days figure this needs its own thread anyway.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Weren’t we linked to Jarace Walker at one point? He’s a reclass candidate. He’s an absolute freak he could probably get minutes in the NBA right now, I’m not even kidding. Montverde couldn’t even guard him.

Reaction Score

in other words, we're not trying to take advantage of the transfer portal at all, or did that part get left out? either way sounds like staff is going for improvement on the margins not a starting SG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
in other words, we're not trying to take advantage of the transfer portal at all, or did that part get left out? either way sounds like staff if going for improvement on the margins not a starting SG
He mentions Locke, Watts, and Bryce Hamilton as transfer targets. There was really no new info on that front.

Reaction Score
Weren’t we linked to Jarace Walker at one point? He’s a reclass candidate. He’s an absolute freak he could probably get minutes in the NBA right now, I’m not even kidding. Montverde couldn’t even guard him.
We offered him last year

Reaction Score
We offered him last year

I will absolutely go nuts if we get him. Kid is a man-child. I think we got only one player from IMG - DeAndre Daniels. He'll be a one and done or straight G league.

Reaction Score
We weren’t listed in the number of schools he’s considering on espn.
ESPN is the worst out of the commonly used sites so that doesn’t surprise me.

I will absolutely go nuts if we get him. Kid is a man-child. I think we got only one player from IMG - DeAndre Daniels. He'll be a one and done or straight G league.
Wouldn’t get your hopes up. Haven’t heard a word about him and UConn since the offer

Reaction Score
ESPN is the worst out of the commonly used sites so that doesn’t surprise me.

Wouldn’t get your hopes up. Haven’t heard a word about him and UConn since the offer

Yes it's a pipe dream. Then again the commits from DeAndre Daniels and Charlie Villanueva were surprises as well.

There was a BY backstory on Villanueva's commit. Someone on the BY (I forget who) had said that Charlie V had committed as an April Fools prank. He was an Illinois lean (or commit?) at that time. Bill Self leaves to go to Kansas and a few months later, he commits to our Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom