2021 New England Patriots Thread | The Boneyard

2021 New England Patriots Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So Cam is gone. Mac Jones is starting, and at the moment, is the only QB on the active roster. Stidham will join him in 6 weeks. Gilmore also on PUP, no new contract. The front 7 is the best it has been in over a decade, just going to be devastating. The backfield is superb, the TE are vastly upgraded and even WR seems solid. Probably a top 5 OL with lots of depth. This is now easily a double digit win team and should challenge Buffalo for the division. Amazing rebuild. BB knew exactly what he needed and went and got it.

What do you all think? I'm super excited to see this team in real competition. More so than even Brady's last season. Jones is a question mark, but the rest of this roster is an upgrade over the last Super Bowl winning team.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Hmm... If your prediction of double digits (10-6? 11-5?) is to be true, then a decisive win over a mediocre Dolphins should occur today. So you won't wait long to see what is in store for the season. It is good to have many of the players not seen last year return; the defense looks impressive.
That Cleveland - Kansas City is the premier game is something else, times they are a... going back to 1970?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hmm... If your prediction of double digits (10-6? 11-5?) is to be true, then a decisive win over a mediocre Dolphins should occur today. So you won't wait long to see what is in store for the season. It is good to have many of the players not seen last year return; the defense looks impressive.
That Cleveland - Kansas City is the premier game is something else, times they are a... going back to 1970?

Well the Bills lost. The Pats lost. The Super Bowl favorite Packers got blown out. The Chiefs struggled with the Browns. It’s opening week. Jones looked good once McDaniels took the training wheels off. Had they done it sooner, maybe they win.

Reaction Score
They were outplayed and outcoached today. The gap of “Was it Brady or Belichick?” Continues to widen.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They were outplayed and outcoached today. The gap of “Was it Brady or Belichick?” Continues to widen.

Seriously? New England Patriots 2021 Stats | NFL.com

More first downs, more yards, more yards per play, more passing yards by nearly 100, more sacks and 13 minutes more possession time. The only thing the Dolphins won was a fumble, that wasn't a fumble and should have been overturned and penalties. I'm not worried at all. The penalties will be fixed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Super Bowl favorite Packers got blown out.
I'm not betting on a team whose quarterback has nearly zero desire to play for that team to go to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots were on their way to a game winning field goal attempt, if not touchdown, prior to the fumble on Miami's 9 yard line.

The Patriots were in position to win despite four fumbles, losing two, and where one came at the worst time of a game since Ernest Byner played for Cleveland.

Reaction Score
I'm not betting on a team whose quarterback has nearly zero desire to play for that team to go to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots were on their way to a game winning field goal attempt, if not touchdown, prior to the fumble on Miami's 9 yard line.

The Patriots were in position to win despite four fumbles, losing two, and where one came at the worst time of a game since Ernest Byner played for Cleveland.
It's always a handful of plays in the NFL. A guy gets a hand on what would have been a TD pass for Miami right before halftime. NE gets a TD after one of the worst roughing the passer calls in the history of the new rule, which would have meant a FG attempt. It's just how the NFL goes.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
It's always a handful of plays in the NFL. A guy gets a hand on what would have been a TD pass for Miami right before halftime. NE gets a TD after one of the worst roughing the passer calls in the history of the new rule, which would have meant a FG attempt. It's just how the NFL goes.
Except if you are "good," those plays don't influence the outcome; and that is especially so when playing a mediocre team. This indicates the Pats are a mediocre team also.
Now if those "handful of plays" influences today's game, then you know they are a bad team, because the J - E - T - S are the definition and embodiment of a bad team.

Reaction Score
Except if you are "good," those plays don't influence the outcome; and that is especially so when playing a mediocre team. This indicates the Pats are a mediocre team also.
Now if those "handful of plays" influences today's game, then you know they are a bad team, because the J - E - T - S are the definition and embodiment of a bad team.
Those are exactly the plays that decide games, especially in a league where the talent is pretty even. This isn't like college football where the talent line is clear, and Miami was a 10 win team last year, so NE wasn't playing some bum team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I caught the DAL-TB game. I'm watching the TB offense, especially in the 4th quarter and I realized it was the Brady Way, not the Patriot Way.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Sticking with mediocre, especially after getting lit up by a "good" Saints team. Next Sunday and very good Buccaneers team will show how mediocre the Patriots have become. Hopefully that changes as the years go on, but this season, mediocre will be the rule. 8-8? More likely 7-9, though 6-10 is not out of the question. Wholly unlikely is 9-7 let alone 10-6. Playoffs? Next year, maybe.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Finally got around to looking at the schedule and other than the J-E-T-S not seeing many more wins for this team. Is this going to be the G-O-A-T Coach's last season - going 6 -11? Moreover, they aren't coming back next year either. I think this is one of the "Key to the Highway" moments where we go back to the bottom, where we're better known. Not seeing the Patriots in the play-offs until 2024 or later, oh well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally got around to looking at the schedule and other than the J-E-T-S not seeing many more wins for this team. Is this going to be the G-O-A-T Coach's last season - going 6 -11? Moreover, they aren't coming back next year either. I think this is one of the "Key to the Highway" moments where we go back to the bottom, where we're better known. Not seeing the Patriots in the play-offs until 2024 or later, oh well.

Not sure why you say that. Lost to the Super Bowl champs on a fg that hit the upright. Lost a game they should have won to Miami. Dropped pass turnovers were the difference vs NO. Team could easily be 4-0. The passing game is working well now. Defense is improved. OL is an issue, especially this week with 4 guys out. They can still be a playoff team this year.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Not sure why you say that. Lost to the Super Bowl champs on a fg that hit the upright. Lost a game they should have won to Miami. Dropped pass turnovers were the difference vs NO. Team could easily be 4-0. The passing game is working well now. Defense is improved. OL is an issue, especially this week with 4 guys out. They can still be a playoff team this year.
Still do not believe. But someone else does:

Everything here screams Cowboys. Which feels like the time Bill Belichick finds a win. Total gut play.

The Pick: Patriots 24, Cowboys 21

Honestly, I will admit that Bill has forgotten more about football than I have learned or can learn. I will also admit that when Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe, I thought the season was over. However, I still do not believe the defense can win a game or two (the way they could against the Manning led Colts back in their heyday) nor do I believe the offense can open a can of whoop-ass on the mediocre teams. If you can't put 35 up against the J-E-T-S or the Texans, you are not going to put up 14 against KC or Buffalo and hold either to less. I only hope the the front office is scouting the FA market and draft because this could be a long downturn otherwise.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Still do not believe. But someone else does:

Everything here screams Cowboys. Which feels like the time Bill Belichick finds a win. Total gut play.

The Pick: Patriots 24, Cowboys 21

Honestly, I will admit that Bill has forgotten more about football than I have learned or can learn. I will also admit that when Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe, I thought the season was over. However, I still do not believe the defense can win a game or two (the way they could against the Manning led Colts back in their heyday) nor do I believe the offense can open a can of whoop-ass on the mediocre teams. If you can't put 35 up against the J-E-T-S or the Texans, you are not going to put up 14 against KC or Buffalo and hold either to less. I only hope the the front office is scouting the FA market and draft because this could be a long downturn otherwise.

Dallas is a challenge, but I don't know what you are watching. They are turning over old players for young, and there is an adjustment. But Mac is playing the best of all the rookie QBs, the receivers have been fine, the TE are playing much better now. The RBs fumbling cost them a game and could have cost two. The pass rush is great and Barmore looks like a stud. The OL has disappointed and yet the backups played pretty well last week.

Need another corner, but so does almost every team in the league. Need to replace McCourty soon, and they will. I think they planned to use Mills but he's needed at CB.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Dallas is a challenge, but I don't know what you are watching. They are turning over old players for young, and there is an adjustment. But Mac is playing the best of all the rookie QBs, the receivers have been fine, the TE are playing much better now. The RBs fumbling cost them a game and could have cost two. The pass rush is great and Barmore looks like a stud. The OL has disappointed and yet the backups played pretty well last week.

Need another corner, but so does almost every team in the league. Need to replace McCourty soon, and they will. I think they planned to use Mills but he's needed at CB.
They are currently 2-3. Assuming they are able to beat the Cowboys and the J-E-T-S they will be 4-3. I don't believe that will occur, it will be 2-4, then 3-4, then 3-5, 3-6, 3-7, with the possibility of getting to 4-8 after the bye and facing a really bad Atlanta team. I doubt the team will implode, as in they will obviously quit trying, but I do not believe they will get more than 6-7 wins. I also doubt they will surprise anyone. Every team in the league has their knives out for the Patriots and each team is going to do their best to see the Patriots are humiliated by the end of the season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They are currently 2-3. Assuming they are able to beat the Cowboys and the J-E-T-S they will be 4-3. I don't believe that will occur, it will be 2-4, then 3-4, then 3-5, 3-6, 3-7, with the possibility of getting to 4-8 after the bye and facing a really bad Atlanta team. I doubt the team will implode, as in they will obviously quit trying, but I do not believe they will get more than 6-7 wins. I also doubt they will surprise anyone. Every team in the league has their knives out for the Patriots and each team is going to do their best to see the Patriots are humiliated by the end of the season.

Didn't manage to beat Dallas, despite going to OT. But with the win on the road against a good Chargers team they are 4-4. Next three games are all against teams .500 or under, mostly teams that are playing worse now. I think they can win all three to set up a big game in Foxborough against the Titans.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Still liking your prediction? 6-4 with a blowout curb stomping of a pretty good Browns team that many picked to get to the Super Bowl. This is a good team. In a year when nobody is dominant, anything can happen.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Still liking your prediction? 6-4 with a blowout curb stomping of a pretty good Browns team that many picked to get to the Super Bowl. This is a good team. In a year when nobody is dominant, anything can happen.
I know less about football than Bill does, that I freely admit. That team that started the season was awful; this team is much better, making Buffalo shudder, better. If they play the this way the rest of the season they are a play-off a team that will make Buffalo, Baltimore, and Tennessee sweat.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I know less about football than Bill does, that I freely admit. That team that started the season was awful; this team is much better, making Buffalo shudder, better. If they play the this way the rest of the season they are a play-off a team that will make Buffalo, Baltimore, and Tennessee sweat.

The didn't execute well, but generally outplayed Miami and lost 17-16 due to a rare late fumble.
They got thoroughly outplayed by the Saints
They lost by 2 to the Super Bowl favorite Tampa Bucs on a late FG.
They went to OT vs Dallas.

Those are the four losses. In regulation, three of them were decided by 3 total points. This team isn't far from being 9-1 right now.

Reaction Score
As someone who's been kicked in the teeth by the Patriots his whole life, there's nothing about Mac Jones that scares me. Congrats on getting the next Alex Smith.

Your posts on this kid aren't going to age much better.

Given that they scored 54 on the Jets when they weren't even playing well they probably would have hit triple digits yesterday.

But I'm sure the Zach Wilson thing is gonna work out.

Reaction Score
The didn't execute well, but generally outplayed Miami and lost 17-16 due to a rare late fumble.
They got thoroughly outplayed by the Saints
They lost by 2 to the Super Bowl favorite Tampa Bucs on a late FG.
They went to OT vs Dallas.

Those are the four losses. In regulation, three of them were decided by 3 total points. This team isn't far from being 9-1 right now.

I'm not putting Mac Jones in Canton but the people who continue to denigrate him are deluding themselves (or are Jets fans). This team is getting better and better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom