OT: - 2021 NBA Playoffs | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: 2021 NBA Playoffs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is clearly becoming a potential weakness of the superteam concept though as most of them are bringing established guys that are a bit older. We've seen a lot of significant superteam injury issues.

My post directly above notwithstanding, I have the least sympathy for the Nets among any of the teams that had major injuries derail their season. Harden is a 2 guard that is about to turn 32 who has played a ton of minutes in his career. Kyrie has a history of mysterious injuries keeping him out of playoff games. Either he breaks down at the end of the season, or something else is going on with him. The Nets knew what they were getting with both of them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the second time in three years that the NBA Champion did not rely on a former lottery pick. Brook Lopez is an aging center on the back end of his career, and the only Bucks player that was a lottery pick. I don't believe Toronto had a single lottery pick on their championship team.

I think the draft is still relevant, but high picks have a fraction of the value they had 20 years ago because players are so young and inexperienced when they are drafted now. It is really hard to project these players into the future. The top 5 players from the 2013 draft are:

#15) Giannis
#2) Oladipo
#27) Rudy Gobert
#10) CJ McCollum
#17) Dennis Schroeder

Not a lot of correlation to draft pick among that group. It is also worth noting that McCollum and Oladipo, the two lottery picks of the above, were both 21 at the time they were drafted, significantly reducing the risk of both picks.

Reaction Score
You gotta question stuffing 65,000 people around an 18,000 seat arena. If it had to be evacuated, what’s the plan?
I wondered the same thing, but they had barriers up keeping the crowds away from 3 sides of the building and those three sides are where all the stairwells/fire exits are. Only side crowds were fairly close was the main entrance (which isn't the best way to go during an evacuation anyway b/c only way in/out is the slow escalators and is not where fire exits lead you). Plus the west side of the building was completely free of crowds and the roads were closed for a several block radius.

So anyway, point being I think they took that all into account. Good question though, like I said I wondered the same!

Reaction Score
Much has been said & written about the last inch of Durant's sneaker that was on the 3pt line. Given that game of inches moment I think it is only safe to say that Milwaukee merely proves it is POSSIBLE to win with a team built internally. And in the long-haul of the NBA or any given playoff series the team with the best player in the series usually wins. This was essentially Sam Hinkie's the process point, increase your odds of having that best player with multiple bites at the very top of the draft. But you HAVE to draft well and build well (no and no under Hinkie).

So I'd say Milwaukee's championship has minor if any implications to the superteam concept, but it does prove that drafting very well and finding a diamond is still possible anywhere in the draft. Yes Giannis is a once a decade ascendant story, but that can happen AND their second best player was a second round pick. Draft well and cultivate your best young players is the lesson.

And this does set up for an epic battle for the east with the Nets next year. Bucks return essentially all of their guys (I think PJ Tucker only one not under contract) who got a LOT of great reps and experience and get their starting 5 back with DiVencizo. The battle of organically grown drafted team vs $uperteam is ON for next season.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What he said in the postgame about wanting to win in Milwaukee and doing it the hard way, makes me a fan forever. He literally tore apart the super team concept where you leave a small market, join a couple of your buddies (hello LBJ, KD, AD, etc), and grab a quick ring. He signed his supermax contact because “the job wasn’t done, and this city trusts me and believes in me”. Don’t know if it’s a culture thing but some of these foreign dudes work ethic puts our entitlement issues to shame.

Yup.

Watching guys throwing temper tantrums to force out of places compared to this….is a really bad look

Reaction Score
The Greek Freak now takes his rightful place at the top of the league. For my money he is the best player in the NBA.

And he doesn't have the refs and the entire structure of the league granting him the favoritism that MJ got. GF earned it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Congrats to Milwaukee. Been a fan of their going back to the Moncrief, Jack Sikma, Marques Johnson days as well.
That's kinda funny. None of their Big 3 would ever be confused with iron men. The odds of all 3 being healthy at seasons end have to be pretty slim.
Seems like one of the pillars of "Big 3" team construction is a sort of Marvels, disband and reband as needed. You are always resting one or two of the three and they only play as the "Big 3" about 15-20 games during most of the season and then they come together for last month of regular season and playoffs. Glad it doesn't always work.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, but they had barriers up keeping the crowds away from 3 sides of the building and those three sides are where all the stairwells/fire exits are. Only side crowds were fairly close was the main entrance (which isn't the best way to go during an evacuation anyway b/c only way in/out is the slow escalators and is not where fire exits lead you). Plus the west side of the building was completely free of crowds and the roads were closed for a several block radius.

So anyway, point being I think they took that all into account. Good question though, like I said I wondered the same!
Thanks. And congrats, enjoy the win!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Much has been said & written about the last inch of Durant's sneaker that was on the 3pt line. Given that game of inches moment I think it is only safe to say that Milwaukee merely proves it is POSSIBLE to win with a team built internally. And in the long-haul of the NBA or any given playoff series the team with the best player in the series usually wins. This was essentially Sam Hinkie's the process point, increase your odds of having that best player with multiple bites at the very top of the draft. But you HAVE to draft well and build well (no and no under Hinkie).

So I'd say Milwaukee's championship has minor if any implications to the superteam concept, but it does prove that drafting very well and finding a diamond is still possible anywhere in the draft. Yes Giannis is a once a decade ascendant story, but that can happen AND their second best player was a second round pick. Draft well and cultivate your best young players is the lesson.

And this does set up for an epic battle for the east with the Nets next year. Bucks return essentially all of their guys (I think PJ Tucker only one not under contract) who got a LOT of great reps and experience and get their starting 5 back with DiVencizo. The battle of organically grown drafted team vs $uperteam is ON for next season.

Durant will be 33 and still have had both a major knee injury and an achilles rupture. Harden will be almost 33 by the time next year's playoffs start, and Kyrie will still be Kyrie. I also don't see Blake Griffin returning to play for cheap again like he did this year.

Lebron will be 37 by the playoffs next season, and his body is already starting to show wear and tear. AD has probably played his last full season in his career.

I am not optimistic that Klay Thompson will ever return to anything close to his former level.

The question is which of the 76ers, Nuggets, Suns, Hawks or maybe even the Mavericks can make a move to join the elite.

the Q

Reaction Score

They do have bird rights on tucker and are already over the hard cap so they would only have small mle to replace him.

My guess is he stays and they use mle for a backup pg

the Q

Reaction Score

The lakers also only had 2 sueprstars and depth.

The Kobe/Shaq lakers were that too.

The reality is you need somewhere around 8 legit playoff rotation level guys

Depth matters to some extent.

It’s why most super teams don’t win year 1. They need some time to use those exceptions and get ring chasers.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
David Stern is rolling over in his grave.
He's no less likely to have rolled his eyes at a seance when someone read him this post...unless you've got a link to support your assertion, in which case I'll admit to my error and acknowledge my overreach.
This is my most prescient post of the whole playoffs.
How refreshing it is to read a post that quotes a prior post in a favorable 'told you so' - ish way.

the Q

Reaction Score
He's no less likely to have rolled his eyes at a seance when someone read him this post...unless you've got a link to support your assertion, in which case I'll admit to my error and acknowledge my overreach.

How refreshing it is to read a post that quotes a prior post in a favorable 'told you so' - ish way.

Stern very clearly has said his dream NBA finals is lakers vs lakers

So I stand with that posters stance

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There was a new NBA Champion crowned last night that is a pretty incredible story on several dimensions, and you are posting about me?

Reaction Score

It's amazingly hilarious Nelson has the nerve to call anything he says prescient. He made 50 posts about how Budenholzer is the worst coach in the history of the playoffs and they had to fire him if the Bucks wanted to accomplish anything. Now he says David Stern is rolling over in his grave when the reason we have Giannis is because of Stern and the Dream Team.

Reaction Score
Does this championship give Giannis hold more weight over Lebron and KD. Won it without joining forces, and with the worst playoff coach of all time, also have to factor in Barkley predicted his team to win it all.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There was a new NBA Champion crowned last night that is a pretty incredible story on several dimensions, and you are posting about me?
IKR?

A poster quotes himself and seems thereafter to question someone highlighting that he has called attention to himself. Nice try.

And this was after @the Q already provided an arguable lifeline. As to which, Philip K. Dick wondered if androids dreamed of electric sheep. Do dead men even dream at all?

Still, I do appreciate some foundation for the Stern reference, even it may somewhat out of date.

the Q

Reaction Score
IKR?

A poster quotes himself and seems thereafter to question someone highlighting that he has called attention to himself. Nice try.

And this was after @the Q already provided an arguable lifeline. As to which, Philip K. Dick wondered if androids dreamed of electric sheep. Do dead men even dream at all?

Still, I do appreciate some foundation for the Stern reference, even it may somewhat out of date.

First and last one ever thrown.

See avatar and phrase under handle….

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
First and last one ever thrown.

See avatar and phrase under handle….
Well-noted, and fitting to your avatar that it went ignored.

I'll have to ask my Comic-Con niece & her husband for more on Thanos when I see them next week. I'm quite Marvel-ignorant, but they appreciate my true curiosity about at least a half-dozen of their interests that nobody else in my extended family gets or cares about, including VW GTI, tattoos, bodybuilding, graphic novel inking, Spartan Race, and hair creativity.

the Q

Reaction Score
Well-noted, and fitting to your avatar that it went ignored.

I'll have to ask my Comic-Con niece & her husband for more on Thanos when I see them next week. I'm quite Marvel-ignorant, but they appreciate my true curiosity about at least a half-dozen of their interests that nobody else in my extended family gets or cares about, including VW GTI, tattoos, bodybuilding, graphic novel inking, Spartan Race, and hair creativity.

He was earths greatest hero. He died trying to save earth from the same fate that happened to his own planet

The avengers ensured earth’s destruction.

Reaction Score
He was earths greatest hero. He died trying to save earth from the same fate that happened to his own planet

The avengers ensured earth’s destruction.
I don’t think Naruto takes place on “Earth” but Madara Uchiha is the best anti-villain in all of media; at the very least from his philosophical point of view:

“Wake up to reality! Nothing ever goes as planned in this world. The longer you live, the more you realize that in this reality, only pain, suffering, and futility exist. In this world, wherever there is light - there are also shadows. When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love. Human beings are nothing but a medium of the general process of carrying out life. They do want to live in peace, but want to win it over by war because ultimately victory is what brings them peace.”

This is his motivation for enacting his plan of using the moon to hypnotize everyone in the world into each person’s eternal perfect dream; eliminating all interpersonal conflict

edit I haven’t watched any Marvel movies but read the actual “philosophy” and logic behind Thanos’s actions and he’s barely more coherent than the Joker, sorry to say… his logic is roughly “I need to murder half the universe so we don’t run out of food”; that’s worse than what a basic AI system would determine and, frankly, is reflective of pretty poor writing in my opinion (relative to how critically acclaimed his villainhood is).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom