OT: - 2021 NBA Playoffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: 2021 NBA Playoffs

Reaction Score
His lack of experience with racism in Boston doesn't de-legitimize Kyrie's experience.
It doesn’t but it doesn’t necessarily mean Kyrie experienced just because he’s saying it now before a game 3 in Boston, only he knows.

You know who experienced it Bill Russell. Boston does have a history of racism you can’t deny that it’s definitely gotten better for sure are there some racial overtones still existing there unfortunately yes.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t but it doesn’t necessarily mean Kyrie experienced just because he’s saying it now before a game 3 in Boston, only he knows.

You know who experienced it Bill Russell. Boston does have a history of racism you can’t deny that it’s definitely gotten better for sure are there some racial overtones still existing there unfortunately yes.
I watched his presser & he only talked about fans saying stuff. This was not Colin Kaepernick speaking on a specific cause. Had he mentioned any real racial issues in the city (there are numerous historically & ongoing) it could be a more useful dialogue.

I think Kendrick Perkins captures the issue well.
“It’s always extra with [Kyrie]. I don’t even know why we’re surprised by this comment,” Perkins continued. “Just think about it, in New York the other night fans were chanting ‘F Trae Young.’ That don’t mean that they’re racist, that’s just, they’re ruthless. They’re just cheering on their team. But do we expect anything less than Kyrie to be extra about something?”

Reaction Score
His lack of experience with racism in Boston doesn't de-legitimize Kyrie's experience.
I hate to even do this on here but everyone knows exactly why Kyrie brought up racism in Boston last night. He's trying to deflect, and maybe stop, the booing he's going to get in Boston for saying he was going to re-sign with the Celtics and then bolting to form his superteam with Durant in Brooklyn. And on top of it for being a world class weirdo. If someone credible said it I'd take it seriously. But he's a freaking kook so I don't take him seriously. But he is a very good basketball player when he's not being a weirdo.

Reaction Score
I hate to even do this on here but everyone knows exactly why Kyrie brought up racism in Boston last night. He's trying to deflect, and maybe stop, the booing he's going to get in Boston for saying he was going to re-sign with the Celtics and then bolting to form his superteam with Durant in Brooklyn. And on top of it for being a world class weirdo. If someone credible said it I'd take it seriously. But he's a freaking kook so I don't take him seriously. But he is a very good basketball player when he's not being a weirdo.
No, not everyone, maybe everyone from a certain background or ex-athletes who have to appear on TV and do the Celtics bidding so they remain in good favor, but certainly not "everyone".

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Great, in addition to having to endure Kyrie's frontrunning and the false narrative that the Net won the KG trade b/c they'll probably make the finals due to free agent signings 7yrs later whilst the Celtics have been competitive throughout (tho never title contender like the Nets are), now Kyrie has to play the victim card and drop a racist stink-bomb narrative. We will get 2-3 days of people trying to dig up stories, re-hashing incidents.

Yes there are plenty of racists everywhere & Boston is a highly segregated city, liberal while avoiding any consequence. But this has nothing to do with basketball, or what happens on basketball courts. The fact is that Kyrie failed in Boston b/c he shrunk from the moment & wasn't capable of a leadership role. Now he's simultaneously throwing red meat to the media, making himself a victim and setting fans that boo him up as the bad guys. It BS, but in his defense it is smart spin if it works.

It is funny now his ignorant ass says stick to sports.

He should’ve been doing that from day 1.

Dude is absolutely clueless

Reaction Score
No, not everyone, maybe everyone from a certain background or ex-athletes who have to appear on TV and do the Celtics bidding so they remain in good favor, but certainly not "everyone".
O.K., then everyone with even a hint of a clue of what Kyrie is all about.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist in Boston. I'm saying Kyrie brought that word into the discussion for a specific purpose. And it wasn't to point out racism in Boston.

the Q

Reaction Score
I hope nobody says racist things to Kyrie. I hope people do berate him for other reasons. Guy's a clown, and he did the Celtics dirty.

And he tried to cover both and they the r word in there to try and cover up his thin skin for the latter

Reaction Score
Small sample size but I know a few African Americans that have spent time living in Boston and they claimed it was an extremely racist place compared to other locations they have lived.

Reaction Score
Boston is big enough where it’s easy to accidentally (or purposely) make friends with people who are not from the area. Moving straight to Boston from UConn, living there 21-25, I never got racist vibes because I was around college kids or recent grads and we are for the most part more progressive. I think all the tech and medicine advances there have drawn such a young and diverse crowd, it’s hard for me to imagine Boston as a racist city.

But I do know that there are tons of racist people all over New England, Boston included. The kind who have been there for generations. Maybe not as violently or vitriolically as in the South, but the sentiment is there. There are young ignorant kids from Southie whose grandparents hurled every slur in the book when Bill Russel played there, who will surely carry on a tinge of it at least. I don’t think they see black folks as subhuman as they do in the south though; where you hear college kids yell “RUN N————— RUN” at a football game.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist in Boston. I'm saying Kyrie brought that word into the discussion for a specific purpose. And it wasn't to point out racism in Boston.

This is how I feel too, and I was trying to think of a way to say it.

And I agree with your previous sentiments about Kyrie overall.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 8 seed gets up 1-0, and then the next game 2 of its top 3 players are in foul trouble right out of the gate in the first quarter. The ghost of David Stern is smiling.

Reaction Score
Boston is big enough where it’s easy to accidentally (or purposely) make friends with people who are not from the area. Moving straight to Boston from UConn, living there 21-25, I never got racist vibes because I was around college kids or recent grads and we are for the most part more progressive. I think all the tech and medicine advances there have drawn such a young and diverse crowd, it’s hard for me to imagine Boston as a racist city.

But I do know that there are tons of racist people all over New England, Boston included. The kind who have been there for generations. Maybe not as violently or vitriolically as in the South, but the sentiment is there. There are young ignorant kids from Southie whose grandparents hurled every slur in the book when Bill Russel played there, who will surely carry on a tinge of it at least. I don’t think they see black folks as subhuman as they do in the south though; where you hear college kids yell “RUN N————— RUN” at a football game.
I am not a fan of pr0n but I will say that the most popular search in the deep south is said to be "ebony".

Reaction Score
Speaking of racist cities though lol how about that Philly fan dumping popcorn on Westbrook as he was leaving the game injured

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

100%. He knows he was likely to get booed...not because of racism (do they boo Tatum?) but because he came to Boston, publicly said he was going to stay long term, then quit on the team, threw a hissy fit and left...for NY of all places. No Boston player who did that would be regarded kindly.

Reaction Score
Ugly win last night but a W is a W. Our offense is so ugly but what a great defensive effort in the second half, and it helped that ATL missed a fair amount of open shots.

Reaction Score

I hate to do the "both sides are right" thing but I think it applies here.

1. Yes, Boston has had issues with racism in the past. Red Sox were the last team to integrate (though I think the Celtics may have been one of the earlier NBA teams to) and black outfielders and other players are on record discussing the sort of racial epithets they've endured from the crowd that they haven't necessarily experienced elsewhere. I don't think the whole city is racist, but it does have a reputation for grappling with the issue culture-wise that some of the other major northeast cities maybe don't. Again, I don't think the city is racist, nor are the vast, vast majority of Bostonians, but I think there are some clowns.

2. Speaking of clowns, Kyrie is a huge one. He's going to get booed because he was a total mental case on the Celtics, bailed on the team, and generally says nutty stuff constantly that takes away from the fact that he's a basketball savant. If he'd actually experienced any racism and then made those comments prior to his return, makes sense. As many of you mentioned, what he said instead sort of molds the narrative from "celtics fans booing him because he's an balloon knot" to "they're booing him because they're racist". Not really cool. I am 100% behind athletes using their platforms to speak on whatever issues they want to bring attention to, but I think the use of that platform does mean that it's fair to criticize them on how they go about doing it.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Reaction Score
And wow how did all the media I’m aware of besides FS1 miss Tre Young getting spat on in MSG inbounding a ball, damn, this is out of control

I kinda liked the idea I heard where the stadium/team is responsible for projectiles hitting players from fans and/or racist remarks; also automatic lifetime ban from the venue

the Q

Reaction Score
Wasn’t it also Kyrie who wanted to take Jerry west off the NBA logo solely due to the color of his skin?

Pretty sure there’s a word for that...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom