2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
Fickell seems a no brainer given his relationship with AD.
PJ Fleck? Has he accomplished anything at MN?

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority in this thinking, but with Cincy set to join the Big XII I don’t see USC as a major step up. PAC-12 is not that much better and I get it’s a school with history, but he’s got perennial top 10 teams where he is currently, why leave to start over elsewhere?

One is money and two is prestige. If Cincy wants to keep Fickell, they’ll have to pay him a ton of money. It is risky to pass up a USC payday, which will be generational money. Cincy will have to step up and I’m not sure they can do that at the moment.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority in this thinking, but with Cincy set to join the Big XII I don’t see USC as a major step up. PAC-12 is not that much better and I get it’s a school with history, but he’s got perennial top 10 teams where he is currently, why leave to start over elsewhere?
Money is the answer! So what’s the question?

Reaction Score
Somewhere in a suburb of Jacksonville, FL a man can be heard repeatedly screaming "NOW you fire him?!?!"

Reaction Score
USC is the big dog in the PAC12. There are only a handful of big jobs in college football. You can have the #1 recruiting class in the country at USC and you can win a national championship. USC > > > > Cincinnati. And, Cincinnati will not be a perennial top 10 team in the Big 12.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
USC is the big dog in the PAC12.
They should be, but it's a bit hard to argue that they really are. They've had only 3 10+ win seasons since Carroll left after 2009. That's really underwhelming. Oregon clearly took over the Pac 12 for a while, til they stumbled. Now it's fairly much up for grabs.

Reaction Score
USC is the big dog in the PAC12. There are only a handful of big jobs in college football. You can have the #1 recruiting class in the country at USC and you can win a national championship. USC > > > > Cincinnati. And, Cincinnati will not be a perennial top 10 team in the Big 12.
I 100% agree, but there is also a boatload of expectations. If you go there and succeed obviously it’s the right choice at probably close to $5mil/yr, but if you fail and are out of that job within 4-5 years do you look back and see a job where you could have stayed that’s going to a P5ish conference where if you continue to succeed you can probably make $3.5-4mil/year for decades to come. And, if you don’t think he can have a perennial Top 10 team in the Big XII with Cincy, I would say the same can apply at USC. I fully get he will likely make this jump for prestige alone, I’m just saying it’s not jumping from a Coastal Carolina or somewhere that you will always be in an inferior conference and is a no brainer.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I 100% agree, but there is also a boatload of expectations. If you go there and succeed obviously it’s the right choice at probably close to $5mil/yr, but if you fail and are out of that job within 4-5 years do you look back and see a job where you could have stayed that’s going to a P5ish conference where if you continue to succeed you can probably make $3.5-4mil/year for decades to come. And, if you don’t think he can have a perennial Top 10 team in the Big XII with Cincy, I would say the same can apply at USC. I fully get he will likely make this jump for prestige alone, I’m just saying it’s not jumping from a Coastal Carolina or somewhere that you will always be in an inferior conference and is a no brainer.
You are overthinking it: USC is an infinitely better job than Cinci.

Reaction Score
1) $$$$$$$
2) who knows what the B12s status will be in 3 years? Maybe fine but …. ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom