2020 talent level potential compared to past teams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 talent level potential compared to past teams

Reaction Score
Bouk will have one 4-15 game and next thing you know people will be calling him a 4 year player. I know we’re desperate for success, but let’s just chill people. We’re barely into December.

Anyone who calls Bouk a 4 year player just doesn't get it. He is the most talented kid we have had in many years.

Reaction Score
Comparing a wing/2G to a college PG isn’t worth the time. Bouk vs AJ why?

AJ has a great career as a Husky despite some injuries and such. Let’s give Bouk more than 5 games before we start these comparisons kinda ridiculous. I mean the potential is obvious but for now that’s all it is. Let the season play out.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Most talent since 06? Or 09?

Once upon a time, not too long ago, we had a roster with Shabazz Napier, Jeremy Lamb, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels, Alex Oriakhi and Andre Drummond.

One of our most disappointing seasons ever :)

Reaction Score
Painful for me to type this but next years Bouk, Akok and even a returning AG are better than Price. That’s because we never got a 100% AJ Price due to the injuries and issues. AJ actually had more setbacks than AG.
glad to know we will have 3 guys next year on All Big East 1st Team and Wooden Award finalists.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll use this measurement for looking at talent in this team.

For the first time since _______, there isn't a single scholarship player who fans are wishing they would transfer or wondering how they got a scholarship in the first place.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
glad to know we will have 3 guys next year on All Big East 1st Team and Wooden Award finalists.
True, but even with that we still never got a full
100% AJ.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
People talk about AG’s shoulder injuries and how tough it is to come back from. AJ Price was on his death bed from a blood clot in his brain in 2006.

Also, knee surgery and the laptop incident.
He had three disruptions to his career and was still great.

Reaction Score
Most talent since 06? Or 09?

Once upon a time, not too long ago, we had a roster with Shabazz Napier, Jeremy Lamb, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels, Alex Oriakhi and Andre Drummond.

Haha I completely forgot about 12... that was a stacked team lol...

Reaction Score
I think next years guards are potentially better than 09’s. (Kemba was a freshman)

I'd be really surprised if any of the guards next year were anywhere close to AJ Price in talent and productivity. Bouk has been impressive, but AJ was exceptional and Dyson was better than any of the other 20 guards.

Reaction Score
2009s team shouldve won it all barring dyson goes down injured that year... such a shame. price austrie adrien thabeet and robinson with freshman kemba was so freaking fun. those games against mizzou and texas a&m were the definition of uconn basketball

Reaction Score
i don't know, that UNC team was pretty fn good

Reaction Score
Point guard is the only concern for next year and it's a big one but the staff is high on Cole from what I've heard, we need to start seeing more from Gaff and he needs to learn how to break down the D as the season progresses. We are going to be stacked everywhere else, IMO.

And if Gaff is to learn, he's needs to play with the first string, as a sub behind AG, not as one of a 5-man second platoon. It's not fair to ask Gaff to break down a D when he's working with Whaley at C and Sid at the 4. Ditto Bouknight. He's need to play with AG penetrating and dishing and JC drawing double and triple teaming from the wing. This platooning has got to be nipped in the bud, or else all Bouk and Gaff are going to learn is bad habits. My opinion.

Reaction Score
I think the key differences between this years team and 09 and 06 teams were consistency. We aren't their yet but headed in the right direction we will soon be beating all the teams we should be beating (st joes) and then hitting the occasional home run as any great team does. The Xavier game would have put us in a whole other light but we are making great strides.

Reaction Score
I think the key differences between this years team and 09 and 06 teams were consistency. We aren't their yet but headed in the right direction we will soon be beating all the teams we should be beating (st joes) and then hitting the occasional home run as any great team does. The Xavier game would have put us in a whole other light but we are making great strides.

Remember, the St. Joe's game was played without Bouk and effectively without Gaffney. Not surprising that the guys ran out of gas after closing a 27-point deficit to 3. I submit that the Maine and Iona games are strong evidence of the consistency you mention. I also think that beating Indiana will require not a homerun but just more solid consistency. A real test will come at month-end, when they must play their first true road game, at Cincy, after facing three straight absolute cupcakes at home.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Point guard is the only concern for next year and it's a big one but the staff is high on Cole from what I've heard, we need to start seeing more from Gaff and he needs to learn how to break down the D as the season progresses. We are going to be stacked everywhere else, IMO.
Yup, I feel like Cole is the real x-factor for next year. Gaffney hasn't shown much so far but he will most likely get WAY better when he becomes comfortable. Thats his issue right now.

Reaction Score
We did this same thing with purvis. Everyone said he was gone he came back. Feel the same thing happens with AG. If he does leave. We look for a grad transfer PG, or try to make Brendan Adams the PG.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
We did this same thing with purvis. Everyone said he was gone he came back. Feel the same thing happens with AG. If he does leave. We look for a grad transfer PG, or try to make Brendan Adams the PG.
or Rj Cole who sat out this year to save his eligibility and learn the offense so that he could run point next year...

Reaction Score
I mean not that you put much into star ratings/recruiting rankings, but by next year we'll basically have six ****+ players on the team: Bouknight, Gaffney, Wilson, Jackson, Ferguson and Akok. Seven IF Gilbert stays - but it seems pretty obvious he's going to make a run at Europe.

Mix that in with Adams/Carlton/Cole and you're going to be in pretty good shape - at least going 9 deep with guys who should all be mature/very talented. Springs is a tougher read I think - I love his game I think he'll be good - but always tough to call first year players. Then I guess we have Whaley/Polley who can both be useful pieces.

There's a legit shot we go 11 deep; and if AG leaves and we grab another dude... it could be interesting.

Not ready to say we're a tournament team this year, but we're def. much better and have a shot. Next year though... woof.

Reaction Score
Lots of hard work and a long season ahead. Got to keep working and getting better. This team is so much better than the last few years, we may be losing a bit of perspective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom